Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm so hooked on STRAVA!!! :D

To disable ads, please log-in.

I suspect there are other threads relating to Strava somewhere around here, but I haven't been around a lot lately. In fact, since I'm just now starting to do rides that make me feel like a "real cyclist", I'm giddy over Strava and simply have to share.

For anyone who doesn't know what Strava is, it's a site (strava.com) where you can download your ride stats and see how you compare to other riders who have done the same ride, or parts of that ride. People create "segments" of rides and try to beat their previous times, beat their friends, or become King of the Mountain (KOM) if you're a guy and Queen of the Mountain (QOM) if your a gal. You can compare your time to men and women combined or just women, etc.

I started by downloading all my old rides from my former "glory days" and had so much fun finding segments that I had earned a "crown" for (QOM).

And today I went and did a flat route where I knew there were two segments I could probably earn crowns for and I done did it. Hee hee!!! I suspect the other gals on the list weren't trying to kill it on those specific segments, but I don't care. I earned two QOM's for the first time in 2012. They can now go out and beat my time if they care. (You get an email when you lose a QOM letting you know someone beat your time.)

Now I can finally get back at my husband who has been coming home for months giddy over all his KOM's, which he has LOT of. I could hardly ride at the time and sometimes had a hard time hearing about all his achievements. Now I get to squeal over mine.

I've always been a stat freak, trying to best my previous times and all, comparing mine to others I rode with, but Strava adds a whole new dimension to my addiction. Muahahahaaaaa!!!
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

I am afraid that site would make me so competitive I wouldn't enjoy the ride. It's bad enough just competing with myself to keep my speed up, etc. (This back when I was in the US riding on the road; I don't even have a computer on my bike here in Belize.) But glad you're enjoying it!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Congrats Jiffer! I can totally relate ...from the opposite point of view since I'm sitting here getting the emails about everyone passing me on ridewithgps while I'm injured ... but I get it. Way to go!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I use both Strava and ridewithgps, but I prefer ridewithgps. I'm a loser on both, but it's great to see what others are doing. They are both great tools to find new routes for rides as well.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I use Strava and Plus3Network to log my miles Plus3 gives money to charity based on how far I ride, so that's motivating to get out there too.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiffer View Post
    I suspect there are other threads relating to Strava somewhere around here, but I haven't been around a lot lately. In fact, since I'm just now starting to do rides that make me feel like a "real cyclist", I'm giddy over Strava and simply have to share.

For anyone who doesn't know what Strava is, it's a site (strava.com) where you can download your ride stats and see how you compare to other riders who have done the same ride, or parts of that ride. People create "segments" of rides and try to beat their previous times, beat their friends, or become King of the Mountain (KOM) if you're a guy and Queen of the Mountain (QOM) if your a gal. You can compare your time to men and women combined or just women, etc.

I started by downloading all my old rides from my former "glory days" and had so much fun finding segments that I had earned a "crown" for (QOM).

And today I went and did a flat route where I knew there were two segments I could probably earn crowns for and I done did it. Hee hee!!! I suspect the other gals on the list weren't trying to kill it on those specific segments, but I don't care. I earned two QOM's for the first time in 2012. They can now go out and beat my time if they care. (You get an email when you lose a QOM letting you know someone beat your time.)

Now I can finally get back at my husband who has been coming home for months giddy over all his KOM's, which he has LOT of. I could hardly ride at the time and sometimes had a hard time hearing about all his achievements. Now I get to squeal over mine.

I've always been a stat freak, trying to best my previous times and all, comparing mine to others I rode with, but Strava adds a whole new dimension to my addiction. Muahahahaaaaa!!!
    Jiffer, I like Strava also and I see that it keeps growing in popularity. PM me your name in Strava so I can follow you

Just snagged five QOM's on the Pacific Electric Trail. SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

fyi, FatCyclist had the funniest entry on "the Hammer" and Strava: http://www.fatcyclist.com/2012/06/20...ted-a-monster/

As a caution, make sure that you either have your Strava account locked down, or that you are not riding illegal trails and posting them on Strava. A local Friends group here is using Strava to bolster their arguments about mountain bikers riding recklessly and/or on illegal trails. I still contest that it's not an issue confined to Strava (people are jerks), but it sure does make it easier for groups like this.

FWIW - I am also horribly addicted to Strava, and VERY competitive. I hold a number of our local road segment QOMs. Have fun with it, but remember that it is what it is - a tool to record your rides, and share with friends

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Sorry - duplicate post.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

I'm a self confessed Strava Wh0re. And now that my marathon training is over, I'm getting back on my bike! Plus...all those segments that I lost earlier in the year? Those were on my road bike. That's right b!tches, I got me a tribike. GAME ON!

Can't wait for cycle training to start. Buwwaaahhhaaahhaa.

Anyone want to stalk/friend me, just shoot me a PM of your Strava name and I'll reply in kind.
    Denise

I started using Strava this summer. As a distance rider, I rarely ride hard enough to earn QOMs, but I do enjoy racking up the miles on there. I've generally ranked pretty high on the distance challenges so far, at least amongst the women. The weekend they started the Skratch Labs challenge (455 miles in 2 weeks), I rode a 600K (373 miles & 23,000 feet) brevet. Needless to stay, I was near the very top of the overall rankings for a while. It was quite entertaining to read the comments people left on that ride.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Can we start a Strava group? I keep my rides private, but I think there must be a way to share within a group. I've been having such issues with Plus3 locking up on me that I might just switch to Strava fulltime.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Ohhh...good idea. We could start a Team Estrogen Club! Or something that doesn't rob them of their company name. Maybe Team TE or something like that?
    We can make it a private club, but then we have to assign a passcode to it.

Which we would probably post here and then...well...it's not so private anymore.
    I keep my info public on Strava. But I do set my "private" location setting so that my rides/routes stop 1/4 mile from my home.

I've never used Strava but wonder what kind of equipment I would need to do so. I don't have a fancy phone that can keep track of anything, but currently use a Garmin FR60 with the GSC10. My Garmin doesn't do GPS, so I guess that would be a problem. What kind of equipment are you ladies using?