Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Is this dangerous???

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just got a new bike and wanted a shorter stem so I put an old one on it. I guess the bars are wider than the stem accommodates because there is a gap in where it should close up (see photo)

Is this dangerous? or just not pretty? It didn't do this on my old bike but the bars were much thinner.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stem.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	15692  

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyne View Post
    I just got a new bike and wanted a shorter stem so I put an old one on it. I guess the bars are wider than the stem accommodates because there is a gap in where it should close up (see photo)

Is this dangerous? or just not pretty? It didn't do this on my old bike but the bars were much thinner.
    The gap can be normal for some stems. Think about it - if the gap closed all the way, then the bolt wouldn't be able to tighten the clamp any further.

How well does the curve of the stem pieces match the curve of the bar?

What brand & model is the stem? The handlebars? Or - what size are your handlebars: 25.4mm, 26.0mm, 26.4mm, 31.8mm; and what size bar is the stem meant for?
    Laura

It's somewhat difficult to tell, but I would ask the same questions, what size handlebar, stem is there? I would agree that there needs to be a space between the two clamps of the stem, but my honest opinion is that you have two different sizes going on here and if so, not safe at all. (perhaps a 25.4 and a 26.0?)Have your LBS check just to be safe!

To say it another way: small space between the bolt holes in your handlebar clamp = normal and necessary for safety. Space between the mating surface of the clamp and the bar itself = NOT normal and not safe. They should fit seamlessly like nested spoons.

You can't see between the clamp and the bar from the angle of your picture, and you may not be able to get a good photo of that angle, but you may be able to eyeball it.

What makes ridebikeme suspicious, I think, is what you said about how your old bars were "much thinner." It's hard to tell what you mean by that. If you don't have a caliper to measure the diameter, you can do a quick-and-dirty comparison by wrapping a tape measure around the mating surface for the clamp on both bars. If they're not the same circumference, they can't use the same stem. (Don't bother measuring the bars anywhere else - often the mating surface in the center is a different diameter from the parts of the bars that your hands go on - even though I don't see any taper in your picture, best to know for sure.)

If it turns out they're not the same size, you'll probably need a caliper to find out what size you need, but if you don't have one, your LBS can measure for you.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 11-12-2012 at 06:36 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Is the gap equal at the top and the underside of the stem? If the lower gap were smaller, it would cause that slightly oversize gap at the top.
    That gap looks "largish" but reasonable.... but getting it checked to be sure is good advice.
    Easton Stem?
    Last edited by Seajay; 11-14-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Thank you guys for the help! It seems secure but I'll ride it to the shop to check. I cannot find any size indication on the bars but the stem says 8m?

Seajay- you hattin on the Easton?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyne View Post

Seajay- you hattin on the Easton?!
    Not at all. Just a guess at the brand of stem it was.
    Sorry, I ran my comments together.
    Last edited by Seajay; 11-26-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: sp