Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

4th Annual Sub-9 Gravel Grovel

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello ladies!

I wanted to tell you about a fun event coming up in southern Indiana called the Sub-9 Gravel Grovel. This event is run by Sub-9 Productions (who also brings you the Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic). We have a great 62 mile gravel race as well as a 25 mile fun ride on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. All participants have access to changing rooms and (weather permitting) hot showers, sag support, event raffle, FREE commemorative t-shirt (yes we have WOMEN'S cut!) and a hot meal after the ride! Here is all the info. We'd love to see more ladies out there this year!

The 4th Annual Sub-9 Gravel Grovel is just two weeks away!

The Gravel Grovel is the bookend event to the popular Sub-9 Death March (www.sub9deathmarch.com) and we are sure that this year's event is going to be the best one yet! We've recently moved to a whole new venue allowing for more parking, ample camping opportunities and much more. The event begins/ends at the Midwest Trail Ride Horseman's Camp on the western edge of the Hoosier National Forest.

Who will win the coveted custom Brown County stone awards.... will it be a mountain biker? a cyclocrosser or roadie?! You'll have to experience it to find out!

Event Website: Gravel Grovel
    Event Registration: https://www.bikereg.com/Net/16840

Gravel Grovel Race
    62 Miles (100 km) ~ (all mileages are approx)

~ Open Men
    ~ Open Men Masters (40+)
    ~ Open Women
    ~ Single Speed/Fixed
    ~ Tandum

$60 - General Registration begins September 26
    $75 - Onsite Registration

Gravel Grovel Fun Ride
    25 Miles (all mileages are approx)
    ~ This is a casual, fun ride to help burn off that extra plate of Thanksgiving fixin's.

$20 Junior Registration (online or onsite)
    $40 Online General Registration - now until November 21
    $50 - Onsite Registration

Registration for the 4th annual event closes at NOON on Wednesday, November 21 and includes free, primitive on-site tent camping, changing rooms and hot showers (weather permitting), SAG support, entry into random sponsor raffle, FREE commemorative t-shirt and more. Participants will also enjoy a warm, catered meal from Indianapolis-area Cajun Creole favorite, Yats, for after the ride!

Additional camping opportunities are available including RV hookups, rustic bunkhouses and heated cabins for both Friday and Saturday night. Camping is open to participants, volunteers, families and spectators!

The Gravel Grovel offers a 62 mile race through Indiana's Hoosier National Forest as well as a shortened 25 mile fun ride!

Thank you in advance to all of this year's sponsors including (but not limited too):
    ~ SRAM
    ~ Hammer Nutrition
    ~ Zioc Clothing
    ~ Leland Technologies
    ~ Eden Outfitters
    ~ Nebo Ridge Bicycles (Carmel, IN)
    ~ Salt Creek Cycles (Bloomington, IN)
    ~ Two Pedals Photography
    ~ Story Inn Bed & Breakfast

Cheers,
    ~Tania Juillerat
    Sub-9 Productions
    www.sub-9.com
    www.browncountymountainbiking.com

I registered my 12 year old son and I for the fun ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Aromig View Post
    I registered my 12 year old son and I for the fun ride!
    Sweet! I plan on being there to volunteer and, hopefully, get a gravel ride in. Surely my car will be out of the shop by then otherwise I won't be able to bring my bike...

Catrin - If your car isn't out of the shop by then, I'd be happy to transport your bike for you. I live in Columbus -- but work in Indy so I'm sure there would be lots of opportunity for me to pick up your bike the day before. My van is in the shop now for bodywork, but its totally supposed to be done before Thanksgiving.

I'm riding a comfort bike (my only other bike is a road bike) and my kiddo is doing this on a hybrid. We've had a rough summer (I'm still recovering from breaking my leg 4 months ago) and lately we've only been riding on flat paved trails so this is likely a bit too ambitious for us. We have completed a few 30 mile rides on our flat trails, so its not completely out of our range. At the very least, my hubby is going to be in the area geocaching so he can rescue us if needed! We signed up for the fun ride thinking we could go at our own pace and be out of everyone else's way.

Catrin - If your car isn't out of the shop by then, I'd be happy to transport your bike for you. I live in Columbus -- but work in Indy so I'm sure there would be lots of opportunity for me to pick up your bike the day before. My van is in the shop now for bodywork, but its totally supposed to be done before Thanksgiving.

I'm riding a comfort bike (my only other bike is a road bike) and my kiddo is doing this on a hybrid. We've had a rough summer (I'm still recovering from breaking my leg 4 months ago) and lately we've only been riding on flat paved trails so this is likely a bit too ambitious for us. We have completed a few 30 mile rides on our flat trails, so its not completely out of our range. At the very least, my hubby is going to be in the area geocaching so he can rescue us if needed! We signed up for the fun ride thinking we could go at our own pace and be out of everyone else's way.
    Thanks for the offer, it is appreciated. I am pretty sure they will have my car to me by then but it is good to know that there is an option. I think you will have fun on the "fun ride", you can get out there to enjoy the gravel roads and scenery. Last year we were so busy that I never had the chance to ride, but I think that will be different this year. Did you see the message about the different starting location?

I wondered why it was 25 miles rather than 30 like before. I've never done it before, but had been watching for the announcement for this year. The new starting location does seem more convenient (I've been to both the boys scout camp and the horsemans' camp for various other cub scout/geocaching/etc. events).

I wondered why it was 25 miles rather than 30 like before. I've never done it before, but had been watching for the announcement for this year. The new starting location does seem more convenient (I've been to both the boys scout camp and the horsemans' camp for various other cub scout/geocaching/etc. events).
    I don't know what happened to cause the last minute change, but the horsemans' camp sounds like a nice facility!

How do you like geocaching? I am considering checking it out, but the cost of a GPS unit is holding me back. I suspect that there is some application I could use on my phone, but with the poor signal reception I get in the woods I am not confident that would work for me. AT&T just doesn't get good coverage where I would go...

I honestly haven't gotten too much into the geocaching and I'm not fond of it. When we try to do "together things" like hiking or biking, stopping for geocaches just slows me down so much I get frustrated. I've not tried it just for fun myself -- so maybe that might make a difference. My husband only used his phone for the longest time (AT&T) and it was fine for the more urban geocaching (in fact, he found a cache right outside the surgical center where I had some hardware removed from my leg this morning!). Now that he does it more in the woods, he does have a different unit. If you're interested in the more rural type of geocaching -- you might look for "kids" versions of GPS units. We got my son one from the boyscout website that wasn't fancy but got the job done and was affordable (it was actually a cub scouts activity that got everyone interested in geocaching!)