Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Winter Running Jackets

To disable ads, please log-in.

What type of jacket do you wear for the cold winter temps?
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

I wear a Nike vest with a long sleeve shirt or shirts underneath. I also have a Sporthill pullover that is about as warm as I ever need. Breathability is key to me. I tend to overheat, even on cold days.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

It takes significant wind or rain, and only sometimes snow, for me to wear a jacket. I'd rather layer with breathable clothing. Sporthill pullovers are a good choice down to about 25F and no wind. That harder finish lycra with the software brushed interior can handle a lot. If I wear a jacket, I wear the thinnest top possible. I adore Ibex or Icebreaker liner gloves for running down to about the same temp. No standing around after of course!

My jacket options include a wind vest, a whisper thin PI jacket (almost like tissue), a NorthFace water resistant windbreaker that is slight heavier but less breathable, and I just picked up Salomon Minim jacket (non-Goretex version) because I think I'll be going out with our local snowshoe running group so I'll be locked into a rain-or-shine schedule.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I think the coldest run I've ever done was about 9 F - I had a long-sleeved icebreaker top under my ibex hoodie dress. No jacket. If it's in the 20s, I have a Brooks vest that I'll wear over a wool long-sleeved top. This year I do have a wool zip-up hoodie I might wear if it drops below 10 again, but we'll have to see. I only run when it's that cold if other people will run with me!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I rarely wear a jacket either - to me it's all about the wool base layers and the zipper in the outer layer - but if I do, it's the same one I wear for cycling, a lightweight breathable PI jacket that the sleeves zip off to form a vest. I'm not sure the model. Just a windblocking barrier keeps a lot of warmth in at running pace.

And I warm up as much as possible in the house. That helps keep me from overdressing to avoid the shock of going out.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm another one who doesn't wear a jacket. I've found I prefer layering various shirts. Of course, if it's much under 25F I end up on the treadmill. My feet just get too cold in the VFFs, no matter what socks I wear.

(BTW, just saw that there's a winter VFF out! but it's $150, no one in town is stocking it, and the website was out of stock in my size...)

I'm another one who doesn't wear a jacket. I've found I prefer layering various shirts. Of course, if it's much under 25F I end up on the treadmill. My feet just get too cold in the VFFs, no matter what socks I wear.

(BTW, just saw that there's a winter VFF out! but it's $150, no one in town is stocking it, and the website was out of stock in my size...)