Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Almond butter

Hybrid View

Almond butter

I have never tried almond butter before tonight. I expected it to taste similar to peanut butter, but the stuff I bought (all natural, no salt) has a wicked bitter after taste it and even smells kinda weird. Of course i had to test feed the hubby. Not knowing what i was giving him, he spit it out ....lol...he said it had a plastic after taste. It did come in a plastic jar, but I don't find it has a plastic taste, I find it has a bitter after taste. Is this normal? Maybe it's one of those foods that are an acquired taste?

I love almond butter. It's just too expensive for me to buy very often! What brand did you get?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I love almond butter too, I get it at the local co-op. I don't much like peanut butter. Could be a bad batch, could be that you just don't like it.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

One thing that occurred to me - just like whole nuts, nut butters made from roasted nuts have a very different flavor from butters made from raw nuts. Are you used to eating toasted almonds and bought raw butter, or vice versa?

Oak, good catch. I prefer the taste of roasted than to raw, but I like both. Some think raw is better for you, but I don't know. I only have had the stuff that you grind right there at the co-op so it is very fresh, if that makes a difference.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I've found that I dislike the after taste of almond butter made from roasted/salted, or just roasted almonds. The butter made from raw, unsalted nuts are far more to my taste - they have a different taste and no after-taste. To me the roasted almond butter has a strong after-taste. I don't use nut-butter often these days (it is too easy to eat too many calories this way), but my choice when I do is raw almond butter.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    One thing that occurred to me - just like whole nuts, nut butters made from roasted nuts have a very different flavor from butters made from raw nuts. Are you used to eating toasted almonds and bought raw butter, or vice versa?
    The brand is MaraNatha. I just checked the jar, it's the roasted type. Checked the best before date....Oct 02/13
    Even though I stirred it quite a bit prior to using, it is quite runny which I though was odd. I think I got a bad batch, cause I'm not a really picky eater and I don't like it. I would take it back, but I bought it from Costco and cant be bothered with the line ups to return it, I just won't buy it again.

I don't think I've ever had Maranatha's almond butter, but FWIW I'm not particularly impressed with their peanut butter. Trying to remember what brand I got the last time, but it's been a while.

Any almond butter I've had doesn't have the consistency of peanut butter. It just makes it easier to stir - all nut butters should be stored in the refrigerator, so a "thinner" consistency just means it's more spreadable.