Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Beets give alot! root & greens

To disable ads, please log-in.

Am having stir fried red beet greens, tomato, red pepper, onions, garlic and ginger with light pasta, cooked with a tiny dab of chili paste and soy sauce.

I always feel energized having beet greens or the red beet root part in any dish. Love it when a whole vegetable can be used.

But I noticed a few weeks ago some entrepreurial farmers were selling the beet greens separately from the root...which means it is more expensive that way.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    But I noticed a few weeks ago some entrepreurial farmers were selling the beet greens separately from the root...which means it is more expensive that way.
    And sometimes it's actually better that way. You can harvest both at the same time, but usually the greens are best when the beet root would be tiny, and when the roots are an appropriate size, the greens are old and tough. Might not be the farmers trying to "get" you - might just be them selling you the freshest, best product.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I've actually never seen much beet greens sold separately when there is a ton of just beet roots of different sizes sold in 1 bag. But good to know about the smaller beets and lovely greens attached. I only started to eat beet greens a few years ago.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I desperately want to like beets -- but I've never found a great way to cook them that I like. I know how I like to cook various other greens so I presume the beet greens can all be used the same way. How do you cook the roots?

Quote Originally Posted by Aromig View Post
    I desperately want to like beets -- but I've never found a great way to cook them that I like. I know how I like to cook various other greens so I presume the beet greens can all be used the same way. How do you cook the roots?
    I usually roast them (you can roast them whole and then use them, or peel/chop and then roast). Sometimes I slice them thin after roasting and use in a goat cheese tart. Borscht is a nice, traditional use too.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I only like very young beet greens. And I only like beets raw, for example, grated on a salad.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I've only recently been brave enough to try beets. I love the greens, and I've found I prefer the taste of golden over red. Roasted is the way to go - at least for me.

Still got a few small roots in the ground. Deer ate the greens...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Now that the weather's turned colder, I think I can safely see if I like beets. My first thought is to roast the suckers.
    Catrin, do the golden beets have a somewhat milder flavor than their red/purple cousins?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I think Chioggia beets (the ones that are red and white striped inside) might be the sweetest, although IME flavor has a lot more to do with growing conditions and maturity than with variety.

Roasting is a good way to go. But my absolute favorite beet root recipe is to shred them raw and toss them in a lemon juice-walnut oil vinaigrette, either alone or with a lesser amount of shredded carrots. Too cold for salads now, for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Now that the weather's turned colder, I think I can safely see if I like beets. My first thought is to roast the suckers.
    Catrin, do the golden beets have a somewhat milder flavor than their red/purple cousins?
    Yes Owlie, they do - at least to me. I've not seen the beets that Oakleaf mentioned, and the goldens can be hard to find in the store. Of course they still taste like beets I really like to just saute the greens in ghee (homemade ghee from grass-fed butter) or bacon drippings with onions and mushrooms.

I've thought about trying my hand at making beet kvass, which is a traditional fermented probiotic tonic. I will eventually try it, it is just the whole fermenting thing that has me nervous as I've never done it.
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-06-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aromig View Post
    You can boil the roots and then put salt, vinegar and smashed garlic. It's a delicious winter salad.
    I like grated raw beets and carrot salad but the fibers usually give me stomachache.
    Beetroot juice is said to increase VO2Max! Just for cyclists

Quote Originally Posted by Anelia View Post
    Beetroot juice is said to increase VO2Max! Just for cyclists
    Runners too! I've drunk beet juice for the week preceding each of my marathons.

Just beware, beet juice (and fresh beets) turns some people's urine red. For some reason it only happens to me after long runs - when kidney function is known to change. Freaked me out the first time it happened, I thought it was blood!

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Just beware, beet juice (and fresh beets) turns some people's urine red.
    And not only the urine...