Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gravel riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Are the gravel roads near enough to make this financial and time effort worthwhile? Won't you have to travel?

Are there any greenways or rail-trails near your home you could ride? Something that will be easier on your body than singletrack or gravel? I did used to skid/crash on gravel when I was younger. Didn't really care. But kids can take a lot more than adults in that regard.
    I don't want to give up off-road riding entirely - and the greenways and rail-trails around here aren't fun to ride. At least to me they aren't. I would have to travel a bit to get to where I want to ride, but I won't go gravel riding without a partner. They are too remote to ride solo, so having a partner is (to me) a requirement and hopefully we can car-pool.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    What would happen if you sold your current MTB? Since you say it is a size too small, perhaps selling it and putting the proceeds towards a fat-tired bike would be the way to go for gravel road riding?
    I love my Jamis....and I've so much sunk into it that I wouldn't get much out of it. It is also customized to meet my fit needs which probably makes it less attractive to someone else. It is, however, a thought that I will consider. I also hate to get rid of it in case it turns out that I can return to single-track in a year or two...

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I love my Jamis....and I've so much sunk into it that I wouldn't get much out of it. It is also customized to meet my fit needs which probably makes it less attractive to someone else. It is, however, a thought that I will consider. I also hate to get rid of it in case it turns out that I can return to single-track in a year or two...
    Makes sense, Catrin. It's one of those things you should wait on for a year+ anyway just to see if the gravel riding "sticks" and if you are able to return to single-track. When you know the answer to both of those questions, hopefully the best way to go will be clear.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I'm fortunate to have LOTS of gravel around the area that I live, so ride quite often. As others have mentioned, it certainly depnds on the consistency of the gravel/dirt. Generally I ride a mtn bike as well, and often not have Kenda Small Block 8's on both front and rear. Most of our roads are remote, but often used with people driving them, four wheelers and snowmobiles in that time of the season. It's too bad that you didn't live closer,the shop is hosting its annual Turkey Tro ride next weekend and the majority of it is on gravel. However, the last ten miles are on pavement, but the fun part is that it is all downhill

Whatever you decide to Catrin, have fun relax and take in everything around you... it's certainly a different experience. And "yes" some people do ride 'fatbikes' in some of the gravel races.

I am really looking forward to it! While it is sad that I need to step away from the singletrack, at least for now, I choose to look at this as a way to explore other types of riding. Good to know about the Kenda Small Blocks, I think my tires will be fine when I switch the front and rear.

I am volunteering at the Gravel Grovel on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend, and I am taking my Jamis with me. While I will be working the event most of the day, I am going to take a break and check out how my lovely bike feels on those gravel roads. With those nice wide tires and that suspension, it should be sweet! I also don't clip in, and I suspect that won't change on gravel either - at least not until I get accustomed to it. Sadly it is further away from me than the trails were, but that's ok. The event is in the same area I will be riding, and I intend to participate in the Death March there in March (even though I will only be competing with myself), assuming I can find a partner. Partners are required for that event.

I won't ride long distances until we get the fit adjusted, but I will raise the saddle as far as I can without wrecking my neck and check it out in two weeks