Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Need advice about giving personal information

To disable ads, please log-in.

Again appealing to the collective wisdom of this forum -

I'm subbing (spin instructor) at a local gym. It's one of those high end, expensive, snooty gyms but the spin bikes are great & the clientele seem nice. The owner/manager seems to run rather fast & loose, i.e., wasn't all that concerned about the sign up paperwork (I-9, W4, etc.) He did want my checking account information because he pays via direct deposit. I am hesitant to give out this information simply because they seem pretty casual about things. I need to say - I worked at a major University for over 30 years, so pedantic, cumbersome rules seem comforting somehow. Maybe this is how the real world operates.

He said he didn't know if they could just cut me a check & direct deposit may be the only way they can pay. I was thinking about opening another checking account for this but that seems a bit radical. Something just doesn't smell right here.

Am I being paranoid?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Some businesses are totally set up this way, it is a more cost effective approach for them. If this troubles you, then I see nothing wrong with opening up a separate checking account just for this purpose - and then transferring the money out to your regular account.

What Catrin said, as far as direct deposit.

But as far as the W4 ... be very clear whether they're taking you on as an employee or as an independent contractor. I know basically nothing about taxes, but it seems to me that GFIs might be one of those situations where they could probably legally call you an independent contractor ... but then I'm sure you know that there are plenty of situations where businesses call their hirelings "independent contractors" where there's no way the IRS would allow it if they got audited. If they call you a contractor, it goes way beyond your having to pay your own quarterly taxes at self-employment rates. Will you be covered by their liability insurance? Will you be able to use their music performance license? Will you be covered by their workers' comp?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

The insurance issue was troublesome also. When he was so cavalier about the sign up paperwork, I explained that I carry no insurance and am usually hired on & covered by the facility's insurance. He shot me back an email that said, "don't worry - our insurance covers you." Yet - without something formal, I'm hesitant. I don't know if his email would hold up in court. I haven't filled out a thing, no employment app, nothing. He just copied my Spinning instructor card.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I don't get why you are worried about the direct deposit info. All you are giving him is the info. printed on any check of yours, which you give out to whomever you write a check to.

Sure, we all need to worry about phishing emails, but you are discussing an employer, and an employer needs access to your personal information in order to pay you.

I would ask explicitly in writing, will you be an employee or an independent contractor. And look for a BMI or ASCAP sticker on the door.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Hi Trisk-
    The thing is - you can pay bills on line with the check routing information. I rarely write checks anymore - cash or credit cards. I don't even use my debit card.

Oak - I haven't seen any BMI or ASCAP sticker. He did say, via email, that I'm covered by insurance. But you make a good point about being an employee or independent contractor. He seems to waffle on this.

Frankly, the whole thing is becoming more of a bother than it is worth. He never responds to emails where I ask direct questions. I need him to know exactly what I'm willing to do (e.g., I can sub T/5:30PM but only through December - no response). Again, maybe my big University mentality is getting in the way & private businesses DO run fast & loose.
    Last edited by Dogmama; 11-02-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I work for a couple of companies that only pay by direct deposit. These are merchandising companies. The ones that only pay direct deposit I am an employee of. There are a couple that I'm an independent contractor for, but each of those off the option of either direct deposit or a mailed check. Granted each of these companies I had to complete full new hire paperwork for.

I've doing direct deposit since 1985. What's the big deal?
    I would be more concerned about the no ASCAP or BMI sticker and the insurance. Even she I taught in gyms, back in the day, that was a given for me.
    And my DIL turned in her former employer (an architectural firm) in NYC for hiring all "contractors," when they really were employees. She got fired.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport