Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Jamis Bosa Nova or Aurora

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi All-
    Does anyone own the Jamis Bosa Nova or Aurora? Interested in the following:
    Your geometry and how each one is set up...I am 5'10 and love my Ruby by Specialized,
    but wanted an "all-around bike" that can tour and go on gravel.
    How do you feel about your Jamis that you picked and what do you use it for.

Many thanks-
    Rubylvr

I have a 2010 Aurora. I like it for the limited purpose for which I bought it (touring on crushed gravel trails). I'm 5'4 with relatively short legs (I have the smallest size they offer if memory serves). It has a nice ride, and it's overly heavy.

My biggest gripe with the bike is that the reach to the levers is long and the brakes suck. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the disc brake version.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks indy-
    Did you try the Bosa Nova?
    RL

No. I'm not sure they even made that back in 2010 when I got the Aurora. The standover on the smallest size of the Bosa Nova wouldn't have worked for me anyway. When you say you want a bike for touring, do you mean fully loaded touring? Depending on your answer, I'd suggest hte Aurora over the Bosa Nova. Have you looked at any other manufacturers, too? Surly, Kona and Salsa have some offerings that might appeal to you.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Rubylvr View Post
    Hi All-
    Does anyone own the Jamis Bosa Nova or Aurora? Interested in the following:
    Your geometry and how each one is set up...I am 5'10 and love my Ruby by Specialized,
    but wanted an "all-around bike" that can tour and go on gravel.
    How do you feel about your Jamis that you picked and what do you use it for.

Many thanks-
    Rubylvr
    I bought a Jamis Aurora last January, and have been pretty happy with it overall. I wanted a more sturdy "commuting/rain/touring bike as an alternate to my Dolce. Something that could handle grocery panniers. After riding the Dolce all summer long, it felt strange to get back on the Jamis, so much heavier and handles and shifts so differently (but not in a bad way). But it is a real workhorse and very sturdy and feels stable on our wet, leafy trails and roadsides. And man, can I load that puppy down with heavy groceries.

I haven't had it much on gravel or off road, but with the wider tires it came with, I think it would do great.

It is definitely not a bike geared toward women. I hated the seat that came with it, and I think the handlebars are a little wide for me. And the brakes/shifters still need to be adjusted for my small and somewhat arthritic hands... But other than that, I am happy with it.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"