Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cold rain and feet

To disable ads, please log-in.

To go along with the Chilly Rain and Hands post, I was wondering what you all do when it's cold and rainy outside in terms of your feet. I have rain pants, but even with those + waterproof shoes I still feel like some water seeps in around the socks. Miserable! Any suggestions?
    Trek 7.2 FX w/ B68 - commuter

Waterproof gaiters. They extend the tops of my Sidi Diablos just enough that I get better overlap with my rain pants. They also have the advantage of keeping wind out when it's not raining

I just put plastic bags inside my shoes. If you get warm enough for your feet to really sweat, nothing's going to keep them dry, but the low rent solution has worked just fine for me.

And a pair of dry socks for your destination.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Wool socks, neoprene shoe covers for road shoes and the gaiter for my winter mountain shoes (they came with the shoes).

I don't ride in the rain unless it starts when I am out there already; I did buy the sealz skin socks for a tour we did in the Czech Republic. It poured and was 50 degrees one of the first days and the socks worked like a charm, but were extremely sweaty. I'd stick to the wool.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I use the Keens Presidio Pedal shoes - all leather, and snow seal 'em. Then I wear smartwool socks, so even if wet my feet stay warm. Winter I bump up my socks to smartwool cross country ski socks. With that combo though, my feet have gotten wet only a few times, very heavy down pours. I ride all winter in the rainy Portland, OR weather.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

This is one I haven't really solved yet. I take dry socks--and an entire change of dry clothes--with me. I keep an extra pair of shoes at work. Wool helps but once my shoes get soaked it doesn't matter. And I try not to bike in cold rain, if I can help it. Usually I am able to adjust my schedule to accommodate the rain. I can go in a bit earlier before the rain starts, or wait until the downpour lets up and the rain is lighter. Around here that is typically less than an hour, sometimes only a few minutes.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

I have goretex socks for really dismal weather. They are good against the wind as well. You start with a thin layer of wool socks, then the goretex ones, then shoes or even sandals.

But they fit so snug that they are really difficult to tug off.

Thanks for info.

Check your fenders. A good long full-coverage fender will keep most of the water well away from your feet.

When it's really cold and nasty (not often here in sunny Austin, TX) I wear hiking boots.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyLady View Post
    To go along with the Chilly Rain and Hands post, I was wondering what you all do when it's cold and rainy outside in terms of your feet. I have rain pants, but even with those + waterproof shoes I still feel like some water seeps in around the socks. Miserable! Any suggestions?
    I stay inside