Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

An earband or cap under your helmet helps too. Only place on me that I'll pick synthetic fleece over wool. (It makes my forehead itch.)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

As the temps gets closer to the 30's, a balaclava is necessary (at least for me). The wind on the face/nose gets pretty cold and fast! I've a smartwool version that I like, my earband and skull cap are both synthetic (Gore) and work fine. It takes time to collect winter riding gear - it took me two seasons to collect what I do have but am set. Now as long as I don't "under-grow" my tights and shorts I will be happy

I LOVE merino wool at ALL temps! I run in Smartwool or Point 6 socks. On the bike it's Smartwool or Darn Tough or Icebreaker. LOVE! I love my wool Buff and wool jersey, too. Though I am not totally sold on the 2 Smartwool baselayer tops I have. They don't wick particularly well. I sweat a LOT, so it's probably more me than the wool.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    As the temps gets closer to the 30's, a balaclava is necessary (at least for me). The wind on the face/nose gets pretty cold and fast! I've a smartwool version that I like, my earband and skull cap are both synthetic (Gore) and work fine. It takes time to collect winter riding gear - it took me two seasons to collect what I do have but am set. Now as long as I don't "under-grow" my tights and shorts I will be happy
    I have a wool buff that I am finding I like better than my balaclava. It is very adjustable so if I want my nose covered I can and if I dont it is easy to pull down. Plus, I like the extra wool around my neck.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    I have a wool buff that I am finding I like better than my balaclava. It is very adjustable so if I want my nose covered I can and if I dont it is easy to pull down. Plus, I like the extra wool around my neck.
    I've thought about this, but so far what I have is working for me. Do you have a brand in particular that you recommend? I am really not for sure what a buff is, as I find different things when I go searching for them on the internet. Just curious.

Buff Go to tubular and scroll down for the merino one. Lots of places carry them.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Buff Go to tubular and scroll down for the merino one. Lots of places carry them.
    Yup, these: http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collec...filter/tubular

Got mine at REI probably.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I see why they are attractive - I will have to consider this - thanks for the links!

I ordered the "Cold Killer" pants from Title 9. Windproof on the front, stretchy on the back. Thought I'd give them a try. I still can't seem to get the proper mix. I'm sweating buckets on top and my feet absolutely freeze. I've tried wool socks, poly socks, plastic baggies. Next up is booties (thought about just toe warmers but figured I migh as well go all the way). I alo orderd a nano-puff pullover that is supposed to be windproof AND breathable. I've been using a cheapo rain jacket (looks like it's made of plasticized paper) that absolutely does not breath but does a bang-up job of stopping the wind. The toe-cicles are a deal killer though. I may not be able to ride in much below 45 degree weather if I can't get that under control.
    2008 Specialized Globe Sport
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite

I get cold feet earlier than others seem to. I wear thin wool socks, and toe covers on my shoes until about the low-mid 40's. After that my PI Barrier shoe covers come out and cover everything - I leave the toe covers on. If it is windy then my shoe covers come out closer to 45 than 40 degrees.

Good luck in finding out what works for you, it is different from person to person. This is what works for me.

okay cold feet - this can get pricey if you do it everyday but we use Toe warmers by grabber, we buy them in bulk. You can tuck into your shoe or place on the top of you foot - just depends on your preference. In addition, our shop floor is concrete so we both have put them in our shoes for all day wear.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I use chemical toe warmers, too. Not all of the time, but if it's less than 40, even with my wool socks and winter shoes or regular shoes/booties, I like having my toes toasty. It just feels pleasant. We also buy them in bulk, since we use them for x country skiing and snow shoeing.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

The other thing that really helps with cold toes is sock liners. I use the X-Static ones from EMS. I wear steel-toe boots in all conditions, so cold toes and I are well-acquainted!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
    I ordered the "Cold Killer" pants from Title 9. Windproof on the front, stretchy on the back. Thought I'd give them a try. I still can't seem to get the proper mix. I'm sweating buckets on top and my feet absolutely freeze. I've tried wool socks, poly socks, plastic baggies. Next up is booties (thought about just toe warmers but figured I migh as well go all the way). I alo orderd a nano-puff pullover that is supposed to be windproof AND breathable. I've been using a cheapo rain jacket (looks like it's made of plasticized paper) that absolutely does not breath but does a bang-up job of stopping the wind. The toe-cicles are a deal killer though. I may not be able to ride in much below 45 degree weather if I can't get that under control.

Do you have the same toe issue with other outdoor winter activities? What about your fingers? (Wondering if maybe you have Reynouds syndrome.....)

Quote Originally Posted by tealtreak View Post
    Do you have the same toe issue with other outdoor winter activities? What about your fingers? (Wondering if maybe you have Reynouds syndrome.....)
    Tealtreak for the win. I do have Raynauds but as an avid outdoors person I usually can figure out what works. I have heaters in my ski boots but try to use them sparingly, usually when I'm working an accident scene and my toes are in the snow for long periods of time. I keep my fingers warm by fisting my hands while on the chair lift. I may be able to get a second set of footbeds for the battery packs I have. Sahalie has a thermal foot bed that's trimmable and supposedly works and I like the idea of the painters tape to cover the gaps in the soles of my shoes. I'm just going to keep trying until I figure it out. Lucky for me it's supposed to be in the 60's this weekend!!!! Ohio weather is so fickle!
    2008 Specialized Globe Sport
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite