Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Memory foam mattress

Who has one? Is it worth the money? Would it be a good thing for someone who needs to be able to sleep flat and not have my shoulders curl inward and my hips flex while the "heavy parts" sink in?

Therma-Rest on the floor or very firm futon are the other alternatives, but they kind of make my sacrum sore before morning comes, so I'm wondering if there's something more ... if it were vehicle suspension one would say "compliant," something that's soft when you want soft and firm when you want firm. Someday I might even be able to sleep on my side again.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

This is relevant to my interests.

Seriously, this is something I wonder about. I love our memory foam topper on a firmer mattress...well, not so sure the mattress is as firm as it once was and maybe that's contributing to my own back woes. Years ago I slept on a friend's Tempurpedic mattress and liked it, but I know there are tons of different models for that brand and others.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I have a Tempurpedic mattress, one of the less expensive ones. I like it a lot. It is not the solution to all my problems, but I'm pretty sure no mattress will solve everything.

Before I had this mattress I had a futon on a platform bed. The Tempurpedic is better. Futons are comfortable but they develop a ditch after a while.

My advice would be to go to a store that sells a wide range of models and try them out. In this area we have Healthy Back stores where you can lie on a mattress for as long as you want to decide if it's comfortable for you, and they have many different models to choose from.

FWIW I use mine on the same Ikea platform bed frame that I used with the futon. I bought two sets of slats so that there are not gaps between them.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

We have one, also on a platform bed. We have the Temperpedic branded one. I find it very comfortable. However, I find that it does not dissipate heat well and thus can be hot at night. This was more of a problem as I was going into menopause and less of a problem now.

Another of our places has a latex mattress. I like that one the best.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    We have one, also on a platform bed. We have the Temperpedic branded one. I find it very comfortable. However, I find that it does not dissipate heat well and thus can be hot at night. This was more of a problem as I was going into menopause and less of a problem now.

Another of our places has a latex mattress. I like that one the best.
    I find that my pillow gets warm but my mattress is okay in terms of heat.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

When we bought your new bed last year (and new mattress as well) we ended up choosing one of the euro top mattresses. Looked at the memory foam, but decided the heat thing would be too much of an issue. We like the euro top, it's similar to pillow top, but not nearly as much "pillow". Plus we have a mattress topper on top of it and it works great for us. If I were to get a new mattress at this point I'd either look at another euro top or look at the sleep number ones.

Re: Memory foam mattress

We have a memory foam topper and we are shopping for a mattress now. It will most definitely be memory foam and most likely Tempurpedic. Not all memory foam mattresses are created equal when it comes time heat so I'd read reviews on the ones you're interested in. We are leaning towards the Cloud Supreme Tempurpedic.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Another vote for the latex mattress. DH and I both preferred it to the memory foam ones we tried. To me, it feels more like you're sleeping on it instead of "in" it, and it feels cooler than the memory foam did too.

Are the "no-bounce" ads true? (she asks after another night next to a DH with restless legs...)
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

We have a firm mattress with a Tempurpedic foam 'pillow top'. It's fan-freaking-tastic! It's a sweet compromise for us because my husband likes soft mattresses and I like ones with firm support. It's not hot, trust me...I'd know. I hate to be hot at night and my husband's middle name is ' the furnace'.

We bought it last year after shopping for mattresses and arguing about them for weeks on end. We were thisclose to buying a sleep number bed but I really didn't want a bed that consumed electricity. When we both tried this one, it was refreshing. I travel a lot and each time I come home to our bed, I crawl into it and get all giddy happy at how comfortable it is!

The no-bounce thing for us is only partway true, but our mattress is not 100% memory foam, either. It's definitely more stable than our original mattress was though!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

A related topic...for those with neck injuries, how do you like the memory foam pillow? I just realized my pillows are OLD...I won't say just how old

Memory foam mattress

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyguys View Post
    You have to find just the right shape and match it to your bed, which can be difficult, but I'll never use a regular pillow again. I have a cervical pillow (memory foam, but not Tempurpedic) and a Tempurpedic side sleeping pillow. I use both, depending on the situation, and they come with me on trips out of town.
    What do you mean, match it to your bed? That doesn't make any sense to me. I used the one my dr prescribed after my car accident, and just put a pillow case on it.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    What do you mean, match it to your bed? That doesn't make any sense to me. I used the one my dr prescribed after my car accident, and just put a pillow case on it.
    My cervical pillow is a little bigger, and works great if I'm on a firm bed. Our bed at home is less firm (by choice), so when I got the cervical pillow home, my head was tilted further forward when I would sleep on my back because my body would sink into the bed.
    Last edited by luvmyguys; 10-29-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

That makes sense, I will keep it in mind. I just priced a few of these pillows, they aren't inexpensive are they? Guess this will need to wait a bit... My pillow-top mattress isn't new either, but it is pretty firm. I am a side sleeper, and the few reviews I've read so far appear to indicate that brand matters, so I've more research cut out for me. Thanks!
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-29-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I find a flatter pillow is more comfortable for me. Same for dearie. In some cases, if I am visiting somewhere and am provided with a thick pillow. I just remove the pillow and sleep without a pillow. Otherwise I end up with a neck ache.

We like an extra firm mattress. Haven't used memory foam and see no need at this point. But a good investment in high quality mattress has been top for us. Expensive but a saver in sleep and the health of ones backs.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.