Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

oh yes...mattresses are expensive. We bought at Christmas time another king size mattress - no need for box spring since we have a platform. Our old one was starting to show much wear and tear and it was time to change. At the time we had paid $3000...yes.... just for the mattess. I never wanted to pay that much again. So we opted for a memory foam (Zedbed). Soooo comfy and we can't wait to get to bed. hihi We opted for 2 twin xlong that we put in our king size box. The reason is that we wanted each our sheets (he likes flannel and I like bamboo). but we could not eliminate the crack in-between, even with a special foam we purchased. Than I had the brilliant idea to sew 2 fitted sheet together and make it a king size set. Pain to do but now we're happy.

Our mattresses (without the box spring) ended up being 1800$. A bit more expensive because of the 2 twin XL size instead of just a king (2 twin XL = 1 king).

I remember asking the guy to let me try their most expensive mattress in the store for the fun of it. Seriously..it was something like $13,000 and it was way too hard for me. I would never have purchased it anyway. But it was fun to try.

So wishing you many good nights of sleeping.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

$13k!!!! Wow, that's all I can say, I can't imagine paying that for a bed. Mine wound up being $2k but that did include a new foundation sturdy enough for the mattress and taxes. They threw in a more robust frame, a headboard, and a mattress cover at no extra cost. Considering everything I don't think I did too badly, and I wake up without pain.
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-08-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Memory foam mattress

We got a king sized tempurpedic a few years ago and it cost about 4500. It was worth every cent. If we hadn't recently gotten an inheritance we wouldn't have been able to afford it, but we had the money and it's made a world of difference for my wife and her back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by thekarens; 05-09-2016 at 07:04 AM.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Glad to hear it theKarens. If it hadn't been for my knee settlement I wouldn't have been able to get mine either - I would have been saving for it for a very long time so am thankful.

May as well update, since I'm the one who started this thread to begin with ...

We got a Tempur-Pedic last fall and AFAIC it's awful, sigh. DH loves it, so I'm stuck with it. I will say it lives up to the no-bounce ads - I still feel it when he kicks, but it's damped immediately - no bouncing afterward. I don't know how much of that is because it's a split king rather than a single mattress, but the pieces are flush against each other (that's how the kick energy transfers to my side). We went with the second firmest - I would've chosen the most firm, but he wanted a step down - but I'm not sure the next step firmer would be all that much better for me.

I put a Therma-Rest on top of mine, under the sheet, and I can sleep on it that way without my arms going numb. Otherwise it's just what I was afraid of when I posted three and a half years ago. Heavy parts sink and lighter parts float, so I wind up with my shoulders curled in and my feet (slightly) higher than my hips. And naturally, with the Therma-Rest on top, I can't use the adjustable base, either. What a colossal waste of money. But, DH is happy, so that's something.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 05-10-2016 at 08:28 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Ugh, sorry you had that experience

I had someone eyeball my spine alignment on each bed I tried and, for me, the one I selected appeared to have a perfect alignment - as far as that is possible. We will see how this works out over time, I've a 90 day trial period during which I can switch if necessary.

I did wake up with slight bursitis pain this morning, but to a far smaller degree than my old bed. Even with that all of my other bits were much looser than in the past and I'm still happy with my purchase. I may need to consider trying to not sleep on my side...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-10-2016 at 10:46 AM.