Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Wear same bright colours off-bike in biz wear, streetwear?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I had no idea that high visibility neon yellow was this year's fashion colour. They call it citron, or citronella.:
    http://www.collegefashion.net/trends...r-spring-2012/

*I do have and wear plain t-shirt in this bright colour shade at work. Not often. And have had the top for past decade. (Does that date me?)

Do you wear any of the same bright colours and hues that you wear on bike for off-bike business wear or street wear?

*I do for some colours. However the red might be a touch more toned down. I have several plain red tops that I wear on the job and for streetwear. No I don't have any golden bright yellow clothing off-bike wear though I wear a cycling jackets and a jersey in that colour.

*I have a bright blue jersey. I also wear an off-bike bright blue T-shirt on the job..it's softened with a small rising flower motif.

*And I wear several types of cycling jackets, vests and jersey that are completely or partially bright neon green-yellow. But other than the t-shirt, no. Same for bright orange jerseys that I have. I don't have a bright orange off-bike wear. I probably could wear a casual top in this colour.

I probably appear to be a flashier colour dresser. Well, not really. It's just taking advantage of having black hair.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 10-27-2012 at 06:31 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I am always in bright tee shirts. I love color.

I have 4-5 darker solid colour tops. But when I get older I just don't think it looks well on me to wear colours that wash me out abit. For certain, I feel less lively. And wearing grey near my face, I have to be careful on the shade of grey. I tend to choose a lighter, whiter grey.

I'd rather wear happy colours. Dark stuff can be suave if worn with splash of colour near the face. (And I don't wear make-up. I just can't be bothered now.)
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I wear almost all black, gray, white, with a few deep blue, green, purple tops thrown in. I hardly wear prints. It's easier and feels more sophisticated to me. I used to wear "jewel" tones, after I had my "colors" done in the 80s, but I am done with that. I could wear all black every day.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I could wear all black every day.
    Me too.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Used to love wearing enough black in my 20's- mid 30's. But I've pulled away from that. My skin after all that cycling does not take alot black around my face too well unless I wear some jewellery metal shine near my face and I get my hair cut short enough. ...which I'm not consistent on frequent cuts. (well it costs money!)

Honest it reminds me of elderly Asian women wearing lots of grey and more drab colours that it sucks the life out of them.

But I agree I wear primarily solids 80% of the time --it does feel and in my opinion, over the years on any woman, just looks more elegant. There's less distraction to looking at the person. You see the "essence" of the woman shine through her face, the "experience" of life and how she carries herself. Same for a guy.

I used to think the black drained me of color, but, it doesn't. I wear make up, though. Also, got my hair color pretty close to my original color (golden blonde, many shades).
    I can't wear silver jewelry near my face, though.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I've never thought about any of this. I grab whatever is closest in the closet and most of the time I don't look in the mirror after I am dressed and before heading out the door. I have no idea what colors look good on me and what don't ....and I guess I don't care. I wear what I like, not what other people like. I think it's important to wear what makes me happy....and if that's "hello kitty" socks then so be it.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Well, I do like "fashion," although my style is somewhat plain, preppie, and monochromatic. I used to dress quite flashily, in the 80s, when I was in my aerobic instructor phase . Of course you should wear what you want. On the other hand, there are some very simple things that can enhance your appearance, in terms of color or style that aren't expensive, if that's what you want.
    I like funky socks, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

As some one who spent way too many years in a fog of depressions, I really enjoy wearing color now! I like to wear bright colors because its hard for me to not smile when I see yellow! green! fuchsia! That being said, I have a very neutral palette of clothes in dark grey, tans, and black--but I have to have my splash of color.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

I do have some tops that are color, but mostly purple, deep blue. I have a couple of red sweaters. Used to wear red all of the time.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I was thinking that there were something about this thread that was making me uncomfortable, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I think I know now. My mother used to use the same words: "I can't wear yellow, it washes me out", or "nope, black just drains me of all colour". I realize that they're just figures of speech, but still, it sounds so fatalistic to me. As if wearing the wrong colour would truly make you look horrible, no matter how happy and lively you are otherwise.

I'm not arguing with the sentiment, most of us want to look reasonably good, and wear colours that suit us. There's nothing wrong with that. But if we say stuff like this whenever we talk about clothing it sort of entrenches the idea that the colour of the jacket you put on actually does define how you are viewed by other people.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Oh, and I love drab Olive green, grubby brown, black, dark grey, come to mama!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Oh, and I love drab Olive green, grubby brown, black, dark grey, come to mama!
    For bottoms, yea..for me.

I don't spend alot of energy on colour, but will make conscious choices on colours that long term, look and make me feel better ...it's money to me, instead of clothing I hardly wear. I wouldn't call my business wear and street wear true chic fashion or exemplar to a fashionista. Same for a hair cut, since I do pay someone else to do it, I might as well choose a style that flatters otherwise it's $50.00 wasted. (And forget about straight hair and ponytail, etc. It doesn't suit me at all...and hasn't for last um...35 yrs. Other people looks great.)

Question on colour was more on how we make colour choices on bike more for safety/fashion or both or different choices off-bike. I don't have any cycling jackets that are black, dark blue or dark grey. I'm already living in a city with imperfect cycling infrastructure. I need visibility to drivers. We have longer nights in fall to winter, being further north.

Maybe a better way is: do you wear the same popiscle colours on bike as you do off-bike?
    Last edited by shootingstar; 10-30-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Popsicle colours on bike, drabs off-bike. I will at times branch out into slightly more colourful variants of drab, like bluish grey or muted purple. ;-)