Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Young Rider

Young Rider

To disable ads, please log-in.

It was a beautiful day and I got in two rides yesterday... a nice, moderately long one on my own in the morning and a short one with my family in the early evening. We ride the MUP together and really enjoy being out cycling as a family.

Now, I will say that I think riding really fast on these trails can be dangerous and I don't advocate it, in general. However, the trails were very, very empty, so no harm, no foul in regards to the following story.

We were riding along and this kid 12, 13 yo maybe, (if even that) blows past us. I had seen him coming and kind of kept my eye on him as he approached. He was TOTALLY kitted up and while I don't know exactly what he was riding, it was a 650c wheel road bike that struck me as being a nice bike, well-fitted, with clipless pedals, and riding in full tuck (with GOOD form). I will just say that it was nice to see a YOUNG serious rider. My daughter was googly-eyed over seeing this lad and says to me, "Mommy, I think you're right. I *would* have fun on a road bike. Can we start looking at them for me?" She is a dare-devil and likes speedy things like roller coasters. It was perhaps an inspiration for her and it was nice to see a young person who at least seemed to love this sport as much as we do.

I'm sure some of you have young, enthusiastic riders in your family, but as of yet, my daughter was not... maybe now??
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

My son started riding mountain bikes at age 13 and at 14 he was racing both road and cross bikes. When I look back at pictures from then, he looks so little!
    Encourage your daughter.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'm sure that teenager is a bike racer. We have a few of those boys riding fast with our club Team Velocity in Fullerton, CA. Plus, they are going unbelievably fast on their junior gearing (smaller cogs for safety reasons per junior bike league rules) and 650cc wheels

DBF got his first road bike at roughly the same age as Crankin's son, as he was in Boy Scouts and doing the cycling merit badge. His dad and one of the troop leaders were really into it, so it didn't take him too long to go from a Diamondback flat bar bike to a road bike (basically, as soon as he was tall enough to ride a bike with 700c wheels), and clipless pedals and lycra weren't far behind.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...