Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Worried about my new bike - need reassurance

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I've taken my new Cannondale Synapse out for just a couple of short rides since I bought it last week. I've been riding a straight handlebar for nearly twenty years. Over the years I've had some neck and shoulder troubles and the straight bar seemed to be the way to go. Now, after physical therapy and training, things are much better and I wanted to try a drop bar bike again (and maybe go a little faster )

I went to a few LBS's and rode about 5 bikes. This one felt great while I rode around the neighborhood. Everyone says one of the good things about the drop bars is all the different possible hand positions to stay comfortable. Well, one of the problems I had yesterday was I was constantly changing positions. Nothing stayed comfortable for too long. All the other riders out yesterday seemed to look content and comfy and all I could think was "uh-oh". And then shortly after the ride, my neck started hurting.

I didn't ride far simply because I wanted to slowly get my body used to the new bike. So of course I'm worried. I'm sure there is probably a little tweaking to do with the adjustments, but what if I'm really not meant for a road bike? Any break-in suggestions?

Get a professional fitting. I would bet that at least one of your local shops offers them.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

+1 on professional fitting.

Also, remember that your neck has muscles that may need time to develop. In the meantime, here are a few tips I've learned.

Keep your shoulders down. You can do this by bringing your elbows in and think about pointing the inside of your elbows to the front. Try it - you can't lift your shoulders in this position. Lifting your shoulders stresses the neck.

Gently stretch your neck at stop signs, red lights, etc. Look all the way right, left and down (never up - you will smush the vertebrae together.) Do the "turtle" move - while looking forward, move your head backwards. This is the counter balance move to the neck up/extended position on a rode bike. Don't roll your head side to side, around, etc. According to my PT, this is really hard on the vertebrae.

Put your hands on the hoods or the tops of the handlebars, not the drops.

Hope that helps.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Agreed, also find a fitter who is skilled at fitting for the type of riding you do. A shop that sells racing bikes is going to be more inclined to fit you in a racing position, aggressive with bars lower than your saddle. If you came to our shop we would fit you in more of a touring/commuter mode - ie higher position of handlebars, a little bigger bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Fitting.

And some fitters are much better than others. I called around, and went to different bike shops over a period of time until I found one I likes. And, in fact, he recommends the Guru Fit to anyone that has access.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    +1 on professional fitting.

Keep your shoulders down. You can do this by bringing your elbows in and think about pointing the inside of your elbows to the front. Try it - you can't lift your shoulders in this position. Lifting your shoulders stresses the neck.

Put your hands on the hoods or the tops of the handlebars, not the drops.

Hope that helps.
    I'm in the midst of the same thing (riding a drop bar while trying not to give myself neck problems again). When I remember "shoulders down, elbows loose", I do much better. Pretty much my mantra through rides, which still aren't very long (but long enough to be fun ).
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

I agree with the fitting(!!!) and keeping shoulders down, elbows in. Also, I'd add to make sure you are not locking your elbows ("elbows loose" as the pp said). If you do lock elbows, all of the road vibrations will travel up through your arms and into your neck. Keep your elbows slightly bent and fluid. That will also help to make sure you're not scrunching up your shoulders and adding additional neck strain. I think also, as core strength increases and your back and abdominal muscles are supporting your weight rather than your arms, you will see less discomfort. Ultimately, you want your core strength to be such that if someone were to just come along and pull your arms off the bars, you'd barely fall forward because your core strength is your main support on the bike. Being more aero can take time getting used to and some time building the muscles. It sounds like you're doing it right... slow and easy. Good luck and congrats on a new ride!!!
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

Get a fitting for sure, but also realize that it will take time to build strength in those muscles around your neck on a road bike. Whenever I haven't ridden for awhile, I always get a sore neck for the first couple of rides from holding my head up in a position I don't use in my daily life.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks everyone. Yes, "shoulders down and back" has been my mantra for a few years now. Thankfully, it's pretty much a habit and if I slide into bad posture, I'm aware of it pretty quickly (except when I'm here slouched at my computer). Elbows are no problem. I've got some genetic weirdness where I can't straighten them all the way, anyway, so they can't lock Core strength, yup, working on that with my trainer.

Now the fitting. A few of the shops around here offer fittings, but not the one I bought the bike from. So the guy at LBS #1 was very helpful, adjusted my other bike, showed me the Dolce (which I also really liked) and just taught me a lot. And didn't charge me. So can I go back to him with the bike I bought elsewhere? I'll be paying for the full workup this time, but I guess I'm afraid he'll find something wrong and I'll start to worry if I made the right purchase. It's really the bars that concern me. I can't seem to find just the right spot.

Yes, you can go to a shop where you didn't buy the bike. If something is wrong with the bike, not getting a fitting isn't going to make it right. So get a fitting and find out on way or another. If something is wrong, it may be something that is easily fixed.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    I'll start to worry if I made the right purchase. It's really the bars that concern me. I can't seem to find just the right spot.
    Bars don't have to be super expensive. If it turns out you'll do better with different handlebars, any good fitter should be able to find at least one workable example in whatever price range works for you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

A professional fitting is good because someone will be able to tell if perhaps the bars are the wrong size or maybe your stem is just too long/short or the wrong angle. Regardless, give yourself time to get used to the new position. If you ride with someone else, ask them to watch your neck and shoulders. Are they tensing up when you ride? Good luck!
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/