Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Tubes vs. tubeless

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to go tubeless. My MTBing is limited to one or two days a week for an hour and a half to 2 hours. I like the idea of going tubeless, but on the other hand it seems like a lot of maintenance is involved.

Opinions?
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to go tubeless. My MTBing is limited to one or two days a week for an hour and a half to 2 hours. I like the idea of going tubeless, but on the other hand it seems like a lot of maintenance is involved.

Opinions?
    I've only been mountain biking for 2 seasons now, and I won't even consider it at this time. I don't ride THAT often, nor are the trails I ride that technical. I've yet to have a flat on any of my bikes, including mountain. I have, however, watched as friends have had problems with their tubeless tires on the mountain bike trails because of maintenance issues. They race mountain bikes so it makes sense for them to run tubeless, but it seems a bit over the top for someone at my level and riding style.

Why not wait a season to see how things go? If you start flatting then you can make that move then. That is what I would do, but that is me.
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-25-2012 at 03:12 AM.

I've had very little maintenance for my tubeless tires. Although, I don't hassle with it myself and just drop by the LBS for a squirt of stans sealant every few months. My LBS only charged me $20 to set up tubeless and they don't charge me anything when I stop by for a Stans fix Of course . . . I usually buy something else when I drop by. I think we can all agree that being in a bike shop is a lot like a kid in a candy shop.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

You both make very good points and yeah, I can't walk into the bike shop without buying "something!" The clearance racks are always a severe temptation
    2013 Electra Verse

My bike came ready for tubeless, and it's been next to no maintenance so far. And no flats. However, I'm not a huge fan of the tires that came on the bike, so if I decide to switch those out it's going to be a pain...but at least I have friends that can help.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post

Opinions?
    If you already have tires that can easily convert to tubeless, I would probably pick tubeless for better cornering and you would almost lose 1 pound in tubes. However, my Santa Cruz Juliana tires are difficult to turn tubeless and 2 LBS said that I would have to buy all new tires before they could turn it tubeless. So, I am sticking to regular tubed tires for now.

Just spoke with the shop. My bike was supposed to be in today, but found out it won't be in until Monday

On the bright side he said it would only cost me $30 to go tubeless so I'm going to try it. If it doesn't work out I guess I'll be switching back to tubes, though I think I will like it as I tend to run at as low a tire pressure as I can get away with.
    2013 Electra Verse

I went tubeless early in 2010 and won't go back to tubes. Have not had a flat on the MTB since I converted so it's worth the hassle. On the Stans website, there are videos that show how it's done, so I watched those and converted two wheelsets myself. The only downside, is that the liquid does clump and dry out after some months, turning into dry snot, for lack of a better term. So every 4 months or so (that's been about how long it tends to last out here), I take a few minutes (Really not that long) and unmount the tires, peel off the bigger clumps of snot, and remount and add new liquid. As I have a compressor it's a snap to inflate the tires, but I have had good luck with a quality floor pump as well.

Aside from the obvious, less (or no) flats, the ride quality is much improved. The tires seem to conform to the terrain better, and feel more compliant, less bouncy. I can also run with less pressure in the tires (maybe accounting for the less-bouncy) without fear of pinch flats.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Picked up the bike today. Quickly discovered the saddle and grips gotta go! But that's no big deal and an easy fix. Other than that I think I will love it. It's going to take a few easier rides to get used to the difference from my old Trek.
    2013 Electra Verse

I like tubeless, except for the 2x a year that I change tires and have to go through the hassle of re-seating both beads. Re-seating one side, like when you break the bead to add more sealant, isn't too difficult. For my particular rim and tire combos, re-seating both sides is a pain. Fortunately, we have a compressor.

I absolutely love the lower tire pressures and more supple ride that I get with tubeless. It's worth the effort. That being said, always carry a spare tube, just in case