Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So dissapointed

So dissapointed

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am so dissapointed with the "proffesional" cyclists especially Lance Armstrong of whom I've alway been a big fan an supporter. Is there any end to the doping saga??
    What annoys me most is that all the honest "Clean" cyclists out there didn't stand a chance.
    How many more sponsers is the sport going to lose through this. Rabobank has now pulled out, which is a big blow to the sport.
    If only some sponsers would do the same as the Sky team and make the riders sign an anti-doping pledge.

Enough of my ranting. What are your views on all of this?

I don't believe any professional cyclist rides clean.

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    I have figured Lance et all have been guilty as charged for years. The whole thing is absolutely no surprise to me.
    Last edited by Irulan; 10-22-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: typo
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

+1

And I don't particularly care anymore.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I second this statement and its a VERY SAD state of affairs for young and new cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Ditto.

It would be nice if the sport were clean. So much better for all the athletes. But I don't believe singling out one very successful individual is the answer.
    I agree with this too. They had a serious vendetta against Armstrong.

don't forget the olympics, Wimbledon, NY and Boston Marathon... There will always be cheaters at all aspect of our lives and its not just in sports. Another reason why we need to get away from culture of hero worshiping.

Some degree of cheating is as much a tradition of the tour as the yellow jersey is ...... The forms have varied over the years, from outright sabotages like spreading tacks on the road to sneaking rides to drugs of all forms (way back when the top choice was amphetamines). To expect completely clean sport is naive, wishful thinking. To think that even if somehow all cheating could be magically eliminated that there would be a level playing field is also naive. Some poeple will have access to better equipment, better training, better coaching etc. and some are simply born more gifted. Hard work and peseverence may get you farther than gifted laziness, but it will only take you so far.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    Another reason why we need to get away from culture of hero worshiping.
    +1,000,000
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    +1

And I don't particularly care anymore.
    This is also my feeling on it.

I am heartbroken about the revelations (particlularly about Lance) although for the past 12 to 18 months I have been anticipating this outcome. Prior to that I had been clinging to a naive hope.

Unlike others, I do believe that some current pro riders are clean. Perhaps it is my Australian bias but I believe that Cadel Evans (amongst others) is a clean rider and that if he had been doping he might have won those two tours where he came second. He is one of the people that you can see suffering on the bike.
    Last edited by macski; 10-22-2012 at 07:29 PM.

I am not particularly disappointed. I was never a fan of Armstrong (as I have mentioned several times in this forum) and actually disliked his arrogance. For so many years, there were allegations and rumors around him and his teams.

At any rate, I will continue to be a fan of the sport. It is a beautiful sport and I watch the grand tours and classics in part because of the scenery. I have never idolized any athlete (or anyone else), so this mess leaves me shaking my head. It is sad to see sponsors leaving the sport at a point where the European teams need it the most because of the Euro zone crisis.

I love to ride and race my bike and this will never change. I prefer to watch women's racing if/when it's televised and I enjoy the men's as much for the scenery as the sport. It sucks to have cycling's reputation tarnished by all of this, but I also realize that the more pressure we place on our athlete's as spectators and sponsors, the more they will be driven to such extremes. IMO, Lance is a separate case. The man is a sociopath, a bully, a cheater and a chronic liar. He would be toxic in any environment.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

I saw this craigslist posting and it made me really sad. I wanted to believe Lance, I really, really did. Sigh.

In other, somewhat related news, did anyone go see The Levi Effect last night? There was a showing not too far from us but I couldn't get a babysitter. I'm hoping to either buy the DVD or download it when it becomes available.

I haven't watched the Tour for a few years now, it just seems so fake to me. And I've been hearing rumblings of local racers doping! Seriously! Is it that big of a deal to win an AG?????? I have been slowly distancing myself from the race scene. I still do xc mtb races and I really enjoy them, but I don't care as much about how I place. Racing is really changing for me--its not a motivational tool to keep and build fitness and to live a healthy lifestyle.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Quote Originally Posted by bluebug32 View Post
    but I also realize that the more pressure we place on our athlete's as spectators and sponsors, the more they will be driven to such extremes. IMO
    Agree with bluebug32

BTW...I had the chance to go watch this movie this past Monday, but couldn't make it http://risingfromashesthemovie.com/ sounds very interesting and encouraging.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"