Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I might have saved a life...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Last Saturday, my DH was riding in a 95 mile event in Douglas, AZ. I didn't participate because it was mostly for faster cyclists than me. So I was out on the course with my car, passing out bottles to friends half way through. After they had all passed me, I started following the course back to the start/finish.

As a drove along the course, I passed a cyclist sitting on the side of the road, with his bike on the ground. It looked odd, so I stopped, went back and asked him if was okay. Moments later, we were joined by one of the bike patrol on the route. The rider was a little slow in his responses, although he was coherent, and accepted a ride back. He answered questions, though he didn't really initiate much conversation, but he did tell me he had been in bike-car accident earlier in the week, which had destroyed his helmet.

I brought him back to the finish and found an EMT from the Border Patrol to check him out. The EMT called an ambulance crew- although the guy seemed to check out okay physically, they encouraged him to go to a hospital for evaluation. After all was said and done, they airlifted him to Tucson. Sunday I was able to contact his friend who told me he had been checked in to the hospital and had undergone surgery for a subdeural hematoma on Sunday morning (from the accident earlier in the week). Fortunately, he will be okay. He called me yesterday to thank me, and he sounded much better, but he has 19 staples in his head.

I was so glad
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Woah...that is pretty intense. Good for you for following your instincts and checking on him, azfiddle. Sounds like he really needed the help!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Wow. Good for you. Hope he makes a full recovery.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

One person taking the time to be concerned is the difference between life and death, congtrats to you for being a good Samaratian. I bet the patient is happy to have had you come along.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Wow...he's so lucky you happened to be right there at the right time. I'm glad his story has a happy ending.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Whoah!! Well done, azfiddle, you did a good thing. Good for you for not letting him go.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Very well done! You did very well in listening to your instincts, and glad to hear that he is on the road to recovery.

Speaking as a former ER nurse, I have no doubt in my mind you saved this mans life. Often times when dealing with head trauma minutes can make the difference between life and death. You have made a huge positive difference in this mans life and played a huge role in preventing a disastrous outcome. You should feel really good about that. Thank you for checking on him. Glad to hear he's expected to make a full recovery.

Way to go! It must feel good to know you followed your gut and it helped someone.
    Lucy 2012 Surly Cross Check
    Sally 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite
    Peppermint Patty 2009 Trek 4500 WSD
    Marcie 2008 Giant Sedona
    Violet 1994 Norco Kokanee

Way to go! This world is in a much better place today because of your selfless actions. I am glad you went with your gut and helped him out.

Thanks for sharing. It's hard to know when something's wrong like that. I will definitely keep your experience in mind and try to be aware of things like that. Hopefully I never have to use the lesson but good to know about it.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Great Job! Sometimes we are all so self-involved that we might not stop to help like you took the time to do.

Thanks for all the kind words. I was probably extra alert because I knew I was on the course of the event, but would have stopped if I was on my bike as well. He seems to be a very nice guy and when he called on Friday to thank me, he said that the neurologist had "cleared him for everything".
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Wow. Glad you were in the right place to help him.

Good on you!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher