Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Specialized Jett Comp or Expert?

To disable ads, please log-in.

We went to the LBS today and I tried a Specialized Jett Comp 29 (15 inch frame) around the building. I did not try the Expert though it stood right next to the Comp. It was unfortunately a 17 inch frame with click pedals

Both bikes were SO nice. But I prefer the Expett with a better fork and brakes than the Jett Comp.

Any Jett Comp or Expert owners, who can give a review of the models?

I'm thinking of buying a 29'er. It's my first MTB ever and I won't bike on tecnical tracks or nothing like that. I just need a bike for fun rides in the forrest etc. :-)
    2010 Rock Lobster - mtb converted to commuter bike
    2010 Kona Dr. Lisa - commuter
    2011 Titus Rockstar 29er - Full suspension

I have the specialized Myka HT elite 29er with disc brakes (wet here in the PNW). I love how it handles over obstacles. I keep this for riding in the area where there are a lot of tree roots and rocks that I need to go over.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    I have the specialized Myka HT elite 29er with disc brakes (wet here in the PNW). I love how it handles over obstacles. I keep this for riding in the area where there are a lot of tree roots and rocks that I need to go over.
    That's also a nice bike - and cheaper, thats a plus!

My better half doesn't not think highly about Suntour forks. Have you had problems with fork or other components? For example brakes or the gears?

I don't have any good advice to offer. Recently I ordered a Jamis Dakar XC Comp and my partner ordered a Trek Fuel EX8. I would however say get the most bike you can afford that you think you might want. We bought entry level bikes less than 2 months ago and now we're buying new bikes..........so, we could have saved ourselves time and money I made my decision by first deciding how much I wanted to spend and then started reading every review under the sun and then deciding what I absolutely had to have and what I didn't care that much about. After all that I went with the LBS that I had the best relationship with.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by Devold View Post
    That's also a nice bike - and cheaper, thats a plus!

My better half doesn't not think highly about Suntour forks. Have you had problems with fork or other components? For example brakes or the gears?
    No, not a problem at all and I've ridden it pretty hard in some technical terrain. I ride this one in the high desert most of the time and it's fairly rugged there. I went mid-range on this one since I know I will be getting another in a few years. I'm kind of hard on MTBs.
    2014 Felt Z75

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I don't have any good advice to offer. Recently I ordered a Jamis Dakar XC Comp and my partner ordered a Trek Fuel EX8. I would however say get the most bike you can afford that you think you might want. We bought entry level bikes less than 2 months ago and now we're buying new bikes..........so, we could have saved ourselves time and money I made my decision by first deciding how much I wanted to spend and then started reading every review under the sun and then deciding what I absolutely had to have and what I didn't care that much about. After all that I went with the LBS that I had the best relationship with.
    It sounds nice with new bikes, but itīs a shame that you ended up regretting the first bikes. I understand what youīre saying - the first bike should be the right buy Thatīs great advice, I don't want to regret buying a bike few months after.

Your new bike looks nice after googling it - congrats

Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    No, not a problem at all and I've ridden it pretty hard in some technical terrain. I ride this one in the high desert most of the time and it's fairly rugged there. I went mid-range on this one since I know I will be getting another in a few years. I'm kind of hard on MTBs.
    It's sounds amazing - itīs a good looking bike your Myka I've been afraid to buy cheaper bikes than Jett Comp or Jett Expert because my boyfriend likes high-end gear and knows much about components and quality. He prefers components, which can last for a long time.

The only problem is that there isn't many Specialized dealers in my country But I will try finding a Myka elite, I can try riding Allthough the toptube is a bit longer on the Myka than the others 2 models.
    Last edited by Devold; 10-20-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    What country are you in? Europe has a lot of quality bicycles not often found in the states.
    I'm from Scandinavia. Yeah but there aren't to many Specialized dealers. We got a lot of brands like Cube, Trek, Focus, Scott etc. We often order bike components or frames from Germany or the UK, it's cheaper and there more to choose from I just havn't seen a complete womens mtb with better fit than the Jett in my country
    Last edited by Devold; 10-21-2012 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devold View Post
    It's sounds amazing - itīs a good looking bike your Myka I've been afraid to buy cheaper bikes than Jett Comp or Jett Expert because my boyfriend likes high-end gear and knows much about components and quality. He prefers components, which can last for a long time.

The only problem is that there isn't many Specialized dealers in my country But I will try finding a Myka elite, I can try riding Allthough the toptube is a bit longer on the Myka than the others 2 models.
    You can always switch out components. I haven't had any problems and I will break something else sooner or later. I crash quite a bit up on the trails.
    2014 Felt Z75

I've had seconds thoughts about a 29'er bike because I'm only 5'4 and doesn't have any experience with mtb And the Specialized frames are expensive.

So my BF ordered a frame for me today - it's a black Rock lobster team tig sl frame in alloy. One of his friends says that the frame can be used with 650B wheels My BF got 650B wheels and fork at home I can borrow I'm looking forward to see if the wheels will fit, or else it will be a bike with 26' wheels

But I will buy a 29' frame in the future