Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

A cheerleader for your city/area?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Would you feel like a natural cheerleader, promoter, ambassador for the city/town/area that you live in? And what highlights would you trumpet about your area?

I'm beginning to wonder what I got myself into..since I answered a questionnaire that suggested this in the process of "getting to know" the respondent (ie. me).
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

you talk about what YOU like about your city.
    I love SEattle, it is international and has lots of great restaurants. It has better weather than most of the country, and beautiful scenery .
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Would you feel like a natural cheerleader, promoter, ambassador for the city/town/area that you live in?
    Absolutely. We live in a low-status area on the east side of town, far from the rural area I grew up in on the west side. This side of the valley has a bad rep in the media, and I love pointing out to people how wrong it is. We have acres of woods, ski trails, lakes, bike trails, climbing crags, well kept bike lanes into the centre. We also get to actually live with and get to know people of different nationalities and different cultures, instead of just reading about them in the paper...
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

We haven't got any fleas.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I don't really love the city I'm living in now. It would have to improve quite a bit before I became a cheerleader for it.
    Queen of the sea beasts

I'm just getting to know my new community, but so far I like it and I think it would be easy to promote. It has lots of history so it's pretty much self-promoting.

SS, I would bet the question that is largely about trying to gauge locals' perceptions about the place. They aren't necessarily fishing for a commitment.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    We haven't got any fleas.
    I wish I could say that.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    And the size of the place is not key. I was raised in a southern Ontario city that started off under 30,000. Now it and another twin city right beside it (always was there) it's probably around 400,000 people. I could and did enthusiastically talk about the area with many suggestions what to see and do.

I think it's the local culture /ambience of our area (Calgary) that makes it tougher. Today I found out why the local tourism organization didn't seem as active: most of the money had been poured into primarily 1 annual event ...a 10-day event that celebrates cowboy culture, rodeo sports, etc. Supposedly that will change soon.

The City was founded as a railway stop (which now Canadian's passenger rail line no longer goes through our city, just the freight train), also as major western outpost for now as we know for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to tame the wild West...and known as a stopping point for whiskey traders, drunks and prostitutes. The cowboys used to drop by to join in the fun, do business (well, the cattle had to be shipped somewhere..)

Canada is like the U.S., there are some major regional differences ---in terms of history, politics and culture. And one doesn't really know it until one lives these different regions for a few years.

After living in also Toronto and Vancouver, there are times I think I need to chill out..and just shake my head. I have a friend who just bought a place here and is now having cold feet ...she has been living in Toronto for almost 25 years and loves it. But raised/grew up in Calgary with her family still here. Personally I think it's really the Rocky Mountain area that is the natural draw for her.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 10-22-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I don't know. The area I'm living in is okay--it's not a huge city, but it IS within an hour's drive of two of the larger cities in the state, so if there's anything you can't get here, it's not too far away. There are also miles and miles of bike trails and a very nice park system. (I will really miss this when I move.) There's also some interesting history in the area.

The city/town I live in, however, is not exactly the sort of place I want to live. The downtown is nice-ish, but it's a fairly conservative area, and is mostly made up of retirees and renters (huge military presence here), with the consequence that no one really wants to invest in the community.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...