Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The best bike for... everything?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm looking into getting a new bike, but I don't even know through which type I should look. Most websites list bike types as being for this OR for that, and hybrid seems to come the closest... but I don't know if it could hold up against some of the rougher patches I often come across.

I bike for both short and long distances (from 2-20 miles), and on an equal variety of very hilly terrain.
    This is what I encounter on a daily basis:

Paved roads
    -pocked with craters
    -smooth and new
    -brick and tile
    -loose gravel
    -large, jagged gravel
    -designated biking lanes

Wood-slat bridges

Off-road
    -soft beach sand
    -thick, slushy mud
    -dirt roads
    -forest paths (roots, rocks, sticks, and pits)
    -biking trails
    -grassy areas beside roads

Please keep in mind that I ride over all of this each day, and that the area is nothing but hills...

Speed isn't an issue for now, but I'm sure that one day (and probably soon) it will be. But is there a bike to accommodate all of these terrains? I'm usually on the pavement sections for about 2/3 of any given ride, but that other 1/3 can be a huge pain. I'm starting out on a Granite Peak Roadmaster right now and it just isn't cutting it... but I'm not too interested in an Entry Level bike, either, as I've heard I'll just grow out of it in a year anyway.

I'm pretty sure I'm looking at either a hybrid or a mountain bike, but if anyone can confirm one way or another which one I should focus on, I'd really appreciate it.

I'll look into all of the links, thanks!!

The only problem I can see is that in order to get onto pavement, I first have to go through dirt roads (which turn to slush in the rain). This isn't a problem if I drive, but when cycling it can be a problem. I live in rural country-side Florida, where at least 1/2 of all roads are paved with dirt... so you can maybe see my dilemma!
    Last edited by Swan; 10-18-2012 at 03:08 PM.

What Muirenn said. I'd go with a cross bike like the Cross Check but for the sand and mud.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

The area here is very rainy as we're just off the coast, but because of all the hills and road angles the water doesn't keep to the roads too much. I road through a light rain today, for instance, and wouldn't mind riding through a downpour so long as visibility was alright... but that probably wouldn't happen terribly often...

I will definitely call the closest few LBS to see if they have any in store I can ride

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    What kind of hills are we talking about? The reason I ask is that you mentioned hills and then you mentioned Florida. The two just don't go together in my mind, but I could be very wrong.

The Cross Check seems like an ideal bike at first glance, but if you really have true hills, you might need a triple chainring. If they are just Florida hills, however, you probably don't. In any case, the Cross Check doesn't come with a triple chainring off the rack, as far as I know.

There are other cyclocross bikes besides Surly, so just keep that in mind. Jamis, Redline, Bianchi to name a few. The main thing is that the bike fit you. I'm currently riding a 2003 Jamis Coda and I put 700x35 cyclocross tires on it and it works great in all kinds of conditions. It has a triple chainring, which I really appreciate since I live on top of a very steep (in my world) hill. I only wish it had drop bars, but that is cost prohibitive so I'm making do with flat bars at the moment. It's a great bike and I'm very pleased that I've resurrected it.

Hi, tulip! Thanks for your input. The part of Florida I'm in has both steep hills and "invisible" hills as the land hasn't been cleared or settled for city/town life yet... we're just a tiny village on a bunch of rolling hills with some steep cut-offs. I'm actually right by Falling Waters, which is famous for its sinkholes... and those sinkholes haven't stayed within park property lol

There are very few flat stretches aside from the highway (which is approximately ~18 miles from my house). I don't mind installing a triple if I need to, but I'll keep in mind the other sellers and models as well!

Ooh ooh...I wish this bike had been around for 2011, when I got my Redline Conquest. I would kill for disc brakes on a CX bike (the low-rent cantilever brakes on my bike are nearly worthless). And if I could only have one bike, it would be CX.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Hello, zoom-zoom! Thanks for the bike recommendation. Is there anything in particular that would make the Redline Conquest stand out over the other bikes previously mentioned? I read into it but so far can't tell what makes one bike better than the next for my needs.

I love mine--it is so comfortable on so many types of terrain and so much fun to ride! I seem to recall in another thread that you're a hair shorter than I am (I'm just under 5'4"). It would probably be a good fit for you in the 44. Another one to consider is one of Ridley's CX bikes. They seem to really do a good job with small geometry--as small as a 41. A friend of mine is maybe 5'1" and has their X-Bow (I think that's the model). It fits her tiny self really well. I echo the recommendation for the Surly Cross-Check, too. That also comes in a pretty small size...I think a 42.

I personally recommend drop bars, too. I wouldn't like flat bars on anything other than a mountain bike (even then I need to have the Ergon flat grips, or else I get sore and numb hands). I definitely like having multiple hand positions available for variety. It keeps pressure from being concentrated on the same parts of your hands all the time.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Oh, I see! I've been having problems with my flat bars, so I'll definitely see about drop bars.

It seems like a call around to some bike shops about test rides is in order once I get a tad bit more research under my belt!

I don't suppose there's a type of bar that's a mix, eh? :S Flatbars and drop bars all in one....? Or maybe not? I'd thought I'd seen a picture, but I may be confused as to what I'm looking at. (You can tell I'm such a newb..!)

The problem I've been having with my flat bars is simply that my hands hurt with all the pressure placed on them... but as discussed in another thread, it might be because the stem (is that the right word? oh gosh) is simply too short and won't adjust, so I have to lean all of my weight onto them. The problem might just be me (and the bike), not the bars!
    Last edited by Swan; 10-18-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Ooh, are you wearing padded gloves? I can't ride comfortably without gloves with some gel padding in the palms. Plus they protect my hands when (notice I didn't say if, heh) I fall.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I don't have riding-specific gloves since we don't have a local bike store that is closer than an hour's drive away (and our Walmart doesn't carry riding-specific anything either, aside from helmets!), but I'm definitely looking to get some very soon. They seem to be able to make all the difference in the world if testimonials are anything to go by.

I ride in alot of what you do. I love my old style hard tail MTB I bought used. I put a set of touring bars on it and some cross breed slick tires with a edge of nobbies. The poor bike is looking vary Fred and one of the nicest rides. You do not always need to buy new. recycling works out great!

The touring bars fit on with out a need to change out levers also. On the flat bars my hands where killing me, no longer!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    There are a lot of fit and posture issues that can cause painful hands. Number one is to find the right bike shop that will both help you find the right size bike to start with, then fit you to it perfectly.

Just to get an idea, what is your budget for this bike?
    +100 on this. There are so many issues that can cause painful hands that it can take much longer, and perhaps cause unnecessary expenditures, to solve on your own. Changing something in one place effects other things and so forth. I learned the hard way that in the long-term, at least with my specific fit issues, it is far more better to work with an experienced bike fitter at the right bike shop from the get-go. There is certainly nothing wrong with experimenting on your current bike, just be aware that it may be more complicated.

Welcome to TE, and congratulations on getting out there and riding