Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Brandy, You can PM me if you want re: the Rosarita-Ensenada ride so we don't hijack this thread. Funny thing, it was my friend who went to spinning class, but had not really ridden a bike much, who got me back into riding after 30 years. I have never been spinning and didn't even have a bike at the time. Eventually, it was she and I who went on the Rosarita-Ensenada ride together and that was one of the highlights of our riding "careers". We even have the poster framed in our office conference room along with our bib numbers!! Are we crazy or what? Just watch - you are going to get hooked.

Nina

If it wasn't for Spinning classes, I would never have considered getting a road bike. It was those classes that made my much loved bike unacceptable for me to ride...I was too upright and it was too heavy and slow. I know that I've gained a lot of strength from Spinning and I love it so much that I'm in the process of becoming an instructor. That said...I can't live my life in the gym and I can't wait to get out on the road...or the bike trail for now...lol.

Tprevost... 6/3 works great for me... and yeah, I'm tickled Mom is doing so well... thank you! Looks like she may be released back to work on 6/5! Anyway, I put our ride on my calender... we can touch base and figure out details soon OK? How fun!

Brandy... I've done Rosarito to Ensanada 3 times as well... it is fun! I am always amused by the hordes of people at the bottom of the climb slamming margaritas and beer those are the ones who plan to walk the hill and finish in 7 hours tho... I always have a couple beers at the END where the party is! LOL Definitely take hard candy and fill your pockets... as you pass little kids, who line the course, you toss it to them! It's a big event for these kids to see all the cyclists and try to catch the candy...

the climb is 3 miles total... with a mile at about 7-8%... not bad if you d some climbing to be ready for it!

Nina... yeah, I imagine the whole group riding thing is a bit nerve racking now... I'm glad he's back on the bike tho!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Margaritas and beer - so thaaats why I couldn't get up that hill. LOL

BC68 - Okay, 6/3 it is. If my DH is around, I can go early, if not I can't leave Temecula area until 8:30am - just a heads up. Looking forward to it!

Nina - you sound like you're at about the same level I am - similar averages. I am really frustrated with my hand at this point. Its my right hand and is nowhere near where the brake was (I broke my arm in January and this problem is the result of the casting/immobility during recovery), its the back of my hand and is affected when I push my lever left to downshift or is sometimes a bit stiff when moving to the brakes. I did a wicked 40 miler a month or so ago and I actually got off and walked down the hill part of the way because my hand hurt so badly from braking... so, I know what you mean! I can't do the 5/20 ride as my DH is in a golf tournament and my kids have some b-day parties to attend; hopefully you will end up doing it and be able to tell us all about it!

Uh oh, kids are in the cookie dough.... have a great evening ladies...

Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchick68
    the climb is 3 miles total... with a mile at about 7-8%... not bad if you d some climbing to be ready for it!

Good to know! So in training for something like that, how would I find similar hills locally?

Does anyone know of a LBS here in Orange County that offers a bike maintenance class? I'd like to learn the basics since I'm essentially clueless!

"Does anyone know of a LBS here in Orange County that offers a bike maintenance class? I'd like to learn the basics since I'm essentially clueless!"

How about this?

http://www.rei.com/stores/store_events.jsp?store=17

Thanks Jones! I got a crash course in fixing a rear flat today, but I'll look into the REI class. There's a new store in HB!

My very good friend Tiffanie is here at TE now! She's impatiently waiting for her road bike and we're trying to come up with good reasons to convince her dh that it needs to be an early birthday present!

Welcome to TE Tiff!

New Roadie from So Cal- Thousand Oaks

Hi!
    I am a new roadie, about 2 months.
    came from Mtn Biking.
    I live in Thousand Oaks, and just did my first supported ride.. Cruising the Conejo..I just did the half metric ...34 miles.
    IT WAS GREAT!
    I was thinking of doing the Ojai Valley Century on June 3rd..the metric.
    the longest ride i have done is 45 miles, do you think I can do the metric on jUne 3rd?
    anyone else doing it?
    I also registered for the Cool Breeze in August.
    and most likely will do the Three harbor tour since I live in the area.
    Always looking for riding buddies so if anyone lives in my area, let me know!
    Thanks so much!
    Karen

As to basic maintenance classes, periodically check out the website at bikeirvine.org. My road club - Bicycle Club of Irvine (thus BCIpam) holds free tire changing/basic maintenance clinics every once and awhile. It's free and you don't have to be a member to participate or ride with BCI. If you really want to learn how to take a bike apart, clean it and put it back together the REI class is good. I took it years ago.

Basically I can change tires with no problem, and have learned how to change out a cassette, pedals, seat and seat post and crank. I know how to adjust derailleurs but am not that good at it and allow the experts (ie my friend Richard) to do that. But the biggest lesson learned was how to properly clean a bike. That's real skill. Good brushes are a must as well as good clean rags and a good lube (I recommend Pro Link) and grease. And, have a good friend who likes t work on bikes and let him "help out"!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by redhot3368
    Hi!

I also registered for the Cool Breeze in August.
    Hi Karen...I'm brand spankin' new to road cycling too...I just got my bike a week and a half ago. I signed up for Cool Breeze last night, I'm shooting for the metric century with a dream of the century if I feel up to it.

Thanks Pam...I think I might go ahead and spend the money on the REI class, as I'd really like to know how to take care of my bike. I'll also keep an eye out for the BCI clinics too.

BTW...I'm planning to ride with you and Tracy on the 29th...I can't wait! She said you're planning to do around 40 miles, is that right?

Oh...and I have another question for you since you ride around here all the time. I'm signed up for Cool Breeze in August and it says that there is 1400 feet of climbing on the metric century and 3500 feet on the century. Can you give me suggestions for hills around here that I could train on that would be comparable?

Hiya Karen! I'm up in Camarillo every couple months visiting my brother so maybe next time I'm up we can go for a cruise... congrats on riding the Conejo! Way to go... and yep, if you've done 45 already you'll be fine for a metric in June... just keep your base miles up and try to ride 3-4 days a week... even 15 miles after work during the week is better than nothing!

I may ride Cool Breeze again... just cause it's such a pretty ride...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".