Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boise Idaho
    Posts
    1,192

    need leg stretching help

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    I am at a loss here. My left leg is my weak/issue body part. Two knee surgeries, broken foot, achilles tendonitis... - with the last knee surgery being a lateral release so I have a lovely "dimple" I have had difficulty with tightness in the back of this knee ever since surgery #1 in 1975. My swelling tends to be in the back as well which adds to the stiffness.

    I started a cross check work out the end of July and am loving the results. Down 10 pounds and lost over 5% of my body fat. Is an added bonus to my cycling strength. I stretch pretty much every day and use my roller at least 3 times a week.

    My problem is with the tightness behind my left knee. When sitting on the floor with my legs out to the front or out to the sides, the back of the left knee is a good 1/2 inch off the floor while my right knee/leg rests comfortably on the floor.

    Any ideas on more stretches. My hamstrings don't seem tight - I can touch my head to my legs and when standing I can almost put my palms flat on the floor so now I am wondering if it is actually my quad that is pulling the knee off the floor - quad stretches where you grab your ankle or foot and bend your knee pulling your heel to your rear is about the most painful thing I can imagine and I really can't do one with my left leg so any ideas would be awesome!
    Sky King
    ____________________
    Gilles Berthoud "Bernard"
    Surly ECR "Eazi"
    Empowering the Bicycle Traveler
    biketouringnews.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    14,645
    You can put a (firm) stretchy band or a towel around your ankle to give you more reach for that quad stretch. You can do it side-lying which will let you stop worrying about balance while you shift your heel around to target the different muscles of the quads.

    All the other quad stretches I know are deeper. I would start there ... except for what you said about swelling. Can you be more specific? Do you have a Baker's cyst? Has a doctor looked at the swelling?

    Also, do you really feel the tightness *behind* your knee?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boise Idaho
    Posts
    1,192
    Oak, I think it is a baker's cyst now that you say that and I went researching. It is probably irritated from cross fit.
    Yesterday i did quad stretches by "resting my foot" on the arm of the couch and doing very slight knee bends.
    Yes, tightness behind my knee is the exact feeling. I don't believe there is a cure for me, just something I have to pay attention to until I get to the point of knee replacement (which hopefully isn't for another 10 years) Although I have already gotten ten more years out of this knee than the Dr originally thought so I am not complaining My sister's hubby is an ortho pod so I can get some "free" advice

    Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    You can put a (firm) stretchy band or a towel around your ankle to give you more reach for that quad stretch. You can do it side-lying which will let you stop worrying about balance while you shift your heel around to target the different muscles of the quads.

    All the other quad stretches I know are deeper. I would start there ... except for what you said about swelling. Can you be more specific? Do you have a Baker's cyst? Has a doctor looked at the swelling?

    Also, do you really feel the tightness *behind* your knee?
    Sky King
    ____________________
    Gilles Berthoud "Bernard"
    Surly ECR "Eazi"
    Empowering the Bicycle Traveler
    biketouringnews.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    14,645
    Well, I am not a doctor, etc., etc., but when my DH had a Baker's cyst the preferred cure was rest. I know that's not what any of us wants to hear ... it can be drained if it doesn't resolve with rest, but the main thing is not to do anything to aggravate it.

    I would see a doctor if I were you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    10,952
    A hamstring injury can also cause crazy tightness behind the knee...I had a lot of this 2 years ago when I had my quad/hammie injuries but I am sure you would be feeling it elsewhere as well...just wanted to mention it. A doctor visit would probably be a good idea.

    How do you like Crossfit?
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-19-2012 at 09:45 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boise Idaho
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    A hamstring injury can also cause crazy tightness behind the knee...I had a lot of this 2 years ago when I had my quad/hammie injuries but I am sure you would be feeling it elsewhere as well...just wanted to mention it. A doctor visit would probably be a good idea.

    How do you like Crossfit?
    Catrin I am really enjoying crossfit despite the knee. When the knee flares up I do have to modify. Our class is 30 minutes long. I show up 15 early to use the rollers and stretch. I go twice a week now - the first six weeks I went 3x's a week as I had a savings coupon. Our routines change every 4 weeks plus we do a different routine every class. Everything is resistant bands, kettle bells, small free weights. Loving my new shape. If I were more dedicated to not drinking beer I am sure I could drop another five pounds but am content with the 10 lbs lost and the 5% body fat gone.


    I know my knee pretty well, I had all the cartilage removed when I was 19, then a clean out and lateral release to reposition the knee cap when I was 43 and I am now pushing 57. At this point the only complete cure is a knee replacement. Ice, drugs and modifying the squats in cross fit keep it under control most of the time. Working the quad with rollers and gentle stretching is my plan to see if that helps to relax the stiffness
    Sky King
    ____________________
    Gilles Berthoud "Bernard"
    Surly ECR "Eazi"
    Empowering the Bicycle Traveler
    biketouringnews.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    10,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Catrin I am really enjoying crossfit despite the knee. When the knee flares up I do have to modify. Our class is 30 minutes long. I show up 15 early to use the rollers and stretch. I go twice a week now - the first six weeks I went 3x's a week as I had a savings coupon. Our routines change every 4 weeks plus we do a different routine every class. Everything is resistant bands, kettle bells, small free weights. Loving my new shape. If I were more dedicated to not drinking beer I am sure I could drop another five pounds but am content with the 10 lbs lost and the 5% body fat gone.


    I know my knee pretty well, I had all the cartilage removed when I was 19, then a clean out and lateral release to reposition the knee cap when I was 43 and I am now pushing 57. At this point the only complete cure is a knee replacement. Ice, drugs and modifying the squats in cross fit keep it under control most of the time. Working the quad with rollers and gentle stretching is my plan to see if that helps to relax the stiffness
    You certainly HAVE had quite the journey with your knee! I will think of you when I start grumbling to myself about my small knee problem

    Our group trainer incorporates a lot of Crossfit into our workouts - he modifies as he deems necessary. He is working with me separately on some of the foundations so I can progress in the group training. Some of the group training is humbling, but I try not to compare myself with some of the members who are truly awesome athletes and focus on what "I" am doing. My t-spine and hip flexibility (especially the former) has been an issue, but they are both final responding Now if I could just get my body and brain together - sometimes I do the opposite of what I hear I wouldn't mind checking out a local Crossfit box someday, but I've more than enough on my plate at my current facility.
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-20-2012 at 06:25 AM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •