Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trader Joes

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is a timely thread for me. We rarely ever shopped at TJ's (the one time I did, I was disappointed that I couldn't buy what I considered basics like certain types of flour) and often walked out empty handed since I didn't eat prepared foods and avoided nuts.

Now there is one on my route home (and a Whole Foods and a Peet's!!), so I'm looking forward to exploring what they have to offer. I will definitely look for nuts and olive oils since we use a lot of both...but you all have given me some other good ideas. Thanks!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Love their organic veggies.

And dog treats - as somebody mentioned - made in the US from real food. Even organic dog treats (like he notices...not!)

I do like their organic peanut butter. I pour off the extra oil.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    The thing I dislike the most at TJs is the slowness of the check out people. It's like they are all in another world. I generally run in to buy a few things and I hate waiting, nor do I want to be chatted up.
    There are two Trader Joes in my area that I go to, and the checkout people are outstanding. I am happy to wait an extra minute or two in line to be treated kindly and have someone answer my questions if I have any. I am also happy to wait a bit for the people ahead of me to be treated with similar decency. It's refreshing to see.

A couple of years ago I was there and I had my 2 year old in the seat in the shopping cart and had was carrying my 3 month old in a sling across my front. The checkout guy not only offered to help me out to my car to unload the bags, but he pushed the cart for me and delighted my 2 year old with funny faces and other silliness. When he got to the car he loaded my bags into the trunk for me while I buckled the kids into their car seats. I wrote a letter to the company when I got home commending this employee for his great attitude and kindness that went beyond the store doors.

A little humanity like that goes a long way these days, I think.

As far as what I buy - the ones here have decent organic selections: milk, peanut butter (best price I've seen anywhere), veggies and fruits - these aren't always available but are priced well when they have them, nuts, pasta, wine, juice.

It's been interesting reading the different perspectives of this store. The one I go to has very quick and helpful service. A few years back when I was much heavier and had major problems with hypoglycemia, one of their employees gave me some orange juice when I suddenly had a problem with it - and wouldn't allow me to pay for it.

I'm really glad they finally signed the Fair Food Agreement. They're the only grocery chain in my area that's signed it. Unfortunately I'm using the phrase "in my area" loosely, since the nearest store is about 45 miles away.

I like their cheese selection. They've got a private label Ossau-Iraty that's not too bad.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I fully admit I have no tolerance in the store, for lines, chatting, or anything. I have my food unloaded quickly for the cashier and my method of payment is ready to go.
    I am only like this in grocery stores. It's different in smaller, local businesses. I plan my shopping at times when it's generally not busy, so it doesn't stress me out. I like cooking and eating, so hence, I want my shopping experience to be pleasant. I know this might sound b*t chy, but I do notice, that compared to my regular store or even the natural foods store that is smaller, I sometimes think the employees at TJs are all stoned.

I've become a complete addict for TJ's Goddess Dressing. It's a salad dressing unlike anything I've had - a kinda sesame-tahini-garlicy yummy-ness that makes me want to like the salad bowl clean. Yeah, that good. I don't have a TJ's anywhere near me, so I buy 10 bottles at a time.

Like others have said, their junk food is amazing - SLIGHTLY healthier than regular junk food (brown rice crisps, sesame crackers, etc.) and their candies are wonderful - pistachio toffee, dark-chocolate covered cherries, espresso beans, it's all good. Might be time for a road trip once my dressing stash gets a bit lower.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    The thing I dislike the most at TJs is the slowness of the check out people. It's like they are all in another world. I generally run in to buy a few things and I hate waiting, nor do I want to be chatted up.
    I am with you there. Not that I want to be rude... or mind making some small talk about weather...whatever. But I really, really, really hate when they ask me what my plans are for the weekend. Like they care... sheesh. Like I am going to tell them anyway...

But our TJs isn't like that... mostly.

Love their oatmeal, nuts, cheese, whole wheat pastas, olive oil. Those big giant dark chocolate bars with almonds....wow, are those good. My husband loves their vanilla ice cream. Oh, and the Prosecco...really good, and a great price. Sometimes our local TJs has Brunello wine from Italy...at a great price. Normally about $50 in a regular wine shop they usually have it (when they have it) for about $20.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

The TJs brand olive oil is really made by the Nunez de Prado family, in Baena, Spain. I went on a "field trip" there, on my bike tour in 2010. It's not their top level press, but very impressive. There's a reason why it tastes good!
    Despite my crankiness at the employees, I go to TJs every other week for 72% chocolate bars, cheese, and nuts.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura