Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Eye's Cont'd:

Eye's Cont'd:

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm starting a new thread on this as the saga continues. Here is a link to the previous thread.

Nothing is working. No one seems to have a cause for what is going on with my eyes. I've heard all sorts of "maybe" reasons. Allergy and Yeast medications have no effect. I took steroids for a week a while back and that helped a lot. Continuing to take steroids does not seem like a great solution to me. I'd really like to find the cause and get this nipped in the bud.

It was suggested that perhaps its a food allergy. I thought it could maybe be corn, but that doesn't seem to be panning out. Another consideration is peanuts. That's the next experiment.

Another suggestions is stress. This did start flaring up about the time I started considering taking a promotion which means the end of working at home--something I've done for 10 years. Yesterday I went in to the office, I don't start full-time in house for a few more weeks, and started moving into my new office space. Within the first 2 hours my eyes started swelling and becoming terribly irritable. My head became foggy and I couldn't think clearly.

But, I had also just eaten a granola bar that had peanuts in it. And the office space was also very dirty (dust mites? allergens?). New office--stress??? I don't know!!!!

The physical reaction was very noticeable. So much so that my work is hiring a professional crew to come in and clean the office space and they are looking into an air purifier. Below is a picture of what my eyes look like today--this is what they look like every day lately. It was much, much worse yesterday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eyes.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	15491
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Ugh. I'm sorry you haven't been able to get this figured out.

Can you see an allergist?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oh my gosh; I'm so sorry. I tend to think an allergist is the best next step. Have you tried any OTC allergy meds? If so, how often do you take them?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I've been on Loratidine, 10 mg a day but it has no effect. I do have an appointment with an allergist, of course they couldn't get me in until Oct. 29th.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

I could be a long shot at this point, but you might try a different OTC allergy drug. Claratin does nothing for me. Instead, I take Allegra every day, regardless of symptoms. I know others that prefer Zyrtec (which knocks me out). I sure hope allergy testing yields some answers.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Does it happen only when you go to that office, or did it happen before you ever went to that office? Do you still have a cleaning lady come to your house? Could it be some product that she is using that was not used before in your house? I would think it would be an external allergy, as opposed to a food allergy, since it's only affecting your eyes and you don't have hives or reactions elsewhere on your body. Sounds really uncomfortable.

Definitely see an allergist. If you went through testing they could at least rule things out and perhaps find out if it is some sort of allergic reaction.

*says the woman who needs to practice what she preaches*
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Other possibilities besides allergies: Psoriasis or Blepharitis. I was actually diagnosed with Blepharitis as a kid . . . I am starting a regime of washing my eyelids with Baby Shampoo. I need some relief!!!! Blepharitis can be irritated by allergens, dust in the air, sweat, etc. Maybe????
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

Wow. It surely sounds like something in that office environment -- some kind of chemical allergy, perhaps. I guess stress is a possibility but seems unlikely to me. I have never seen anything like that, and I have allergies to cats that used to cause my eyes to swell shut as a child (much milder now, I just get a little itchy in the eyes). But I never had that kind of redness. So mysterious! Please keep us posted and good luck with this.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

For what it's worth, Limewave, give the baby shampoo a chance to work.

I had weird swelling and peeling on my eyelid, first one, then both, off and on for over a year. It would come on stronger with stress, stay days to weeks, then disappear. Itchy, red, peeling, swollen, misery.

After doing some research, I determined that old soap can actually grow mold. I'd been using facial scrub that was about 5 years old (they brand discontinued it, so I bought up like ten bottles.) And mold or fungus or bacteria in soap can cause... you guessed it: blepharitis.

I started washing my face and eyelids with J&J baby shampoo daily, and after a couple of weeks it cleared up and hasn't come back for at least 6 months, despite those 6 months being some of the most stressful of my life.

I use the baby shampoo as my only face wash now, and it's actually helped keep zits to a minimum, too, I think. I use a good moisturizer afterwards, but I keep THAT away from my eye area.

Also - I wear NO makeup, EVER. That helped narrow it down for me.

Good luck. I know how miserable you must be!
    "There are only two ways to live your life: You can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle" - Albert Einstein

2012 Cinelli Gazzetta della Strada
    2011 Scott Contessa Speedster 15
    1993 Cannondale H600
    1970s Western Flyer Cruiser

Update:
    I've been washing with baby soap about 4 times a day (first thing in the AM, lunch, afternoon/dinner, and bedtime). Then I apply a bit of Aquaphor to moisturize the skin. I am very cautiously optimistic. The redness and irritation/burning has decreased some but I am still experiencing quite a bit of swelling.

Being exposed to dust and consuming peanuts both seem to increase irritation of the eyes. I have been avoiding both as much as possible. My office space was professionally cleaned since my last visit and there was a noticeable difference in how my eyes reacted. It was much better.

I had to cancel my allergist appointment as it was nerly $2,000 and not covered by insurance I have a dermatologist appointment scheduled, but I'm waiting to find out what the cost estimate is going to be--I may need to cancel that one as well.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

$2000 to see an allergist?? And why is it not covered by insurance?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Random reply, and it's my eyes and inner eyelids that are itchy (not the outside...your photo looks so painful!) - but after having massive allergy attacks and sneezing for hours every Saturday after a long run, I think I have a pretty harsh exercise-induced allergic reaction. I thought all this time that my sweat was bothering my eyes, but I now think they get itchy and watery just from running, period. My ridiculously rainy marathon in Maine was the absolute only time I have finished a long run of any sort and felt just fine. So now it's MY turn to try and find an allergist.

For the time being, I'm about to slip into a Benadryl-induced coma and I'll wake up tomorrow, scrape the crust off my eyes, and get on with a normal Sunday.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Blepharitis can also be secondary to sebaceous dermatitis. SD is alot of time as chronic condition. It can improve, almost go away then come back worse. Head and shoulders now makes a shampoo just for SD. You might want to give this a try. When you workout make sure you rinse off all the salty sweat. Another great product if this is SD is CereVe moisturizer and face wash. They aren't expensive are work better than any if the pricey stuff I have tried.