Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Sleepwear & stuffed lingerie

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm stunned whenever I go into a lingerie shop: all I was looking was a simple short camisole/slip like thing for sleepwear.

Most of the stuff..are bustiers, corseletttes, stuffed camisoles/slips and stuffed/uber padded bras. These are national store chains. So then I went to a dept. store...no real underwear (bras, etc.) and flannelwear. I really have lost touch. Especially the uber stuffed bra-slips in ridiculous/fun (depending on perspective) bright colours and lace. There must be a real market for this stuff to stock national chain stores and fill 90% of the store racks.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

I'm definitely not their market.....I only have plain beige, white and black bras and panties. I used to spend my money on lingerie but then I realized it's not worth the high price tags. Men are just as happy with nothing!
    2010 Trek 2.1 WSD

There are unstuffed camisoles at my local lingerie store!
    I wouldn't mind spending on one or two pieces of fun lingerie, but it's all I can do to get to the store when I actually need new bras...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I've been having major problems finding panties my size that aren't briefs, bikinis or boy shorts I prefer high-cut panties, and they only seem to be available these days in sizes much too large for me OR they are something like $15-$20 a pair. What is up with that? I am also having problems finding panties that are small enough for me, period, in the <$15 a pair range. I can find packages of larger sizes that are far less expensive. I guess that indicates the stores in question think that smaller women are a smaller portion of their market, I suppose. I went to Walmart, Target, and Meijers. I finally had to go to JC Penny's to find panties that actually fit and even though they were on sale they were more than I wanted to spend - but you kind of gotta have them...

Have others had this problem? Perhaps others have a larger budget for such things...

Yup, given my size should I be spending $20 on a pr. of underpants? Alot of "small" panties are too big for me now. Or they are so skimpy, it's totally impractical for daily wear.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

I've only been to a lingerie store once or twice in my life. I needed a good strapless bra, and figured it was time to ask the pros. Kind of scary, almost: I walk in, large authoratative woman gives me the once-over, says "you must be a 75 A" and turns to get one. And she was right.

Otherwise department stores suit me fine. Lots of black, white and beige, and lace itches me, anyway.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I've been having major problems finding panties my size that aren't briefs, bikinis or boy shorts I prefer high-cut panties, and they only seem to be available these days in sizes much too large for me OR they are something like $15-$20 a pair. What is up with that? I am also having problems finding panties that are small enough for me, period, in the <$15 a pair range. I can find packages of larger sizes that are far less expensive. I guess that indicates the stores in question think that smaller women are a smaller portion of their market, I suppose. I went to Walmart, Target, and Meijers. I finally had to go to JC Penny's to find panties that actually fit and even though they were on sale they were more than I wanted to spend - but you kind of gotta have them...

Have others had this problem? Perhaps others have a larger budget for such things...
    Victoria's Secret has hi cut cotton briefs, 5/$22 or something like that. They also have very small sizes.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Victoria's Secret has hi cut cotton briefs, 5/$22 or something like that. They also have very small sizes.
    Really?!? I had no idea they would have reasonable prices, thanks for the information! It just seems wild to me that it is so hard to find undies small enough for me - I don't consider myself to be THAT small!

Hmmm. Maybe it's a Canadian thing. There's plenty of "normal" underwear at the department store I usually visit.

What is a "stuffed" camisole?

I've only once dropped into a lingerie store -- they had fancy lingerie, and also sex toys. Which surprised me. But they did stock normal, practical undergarments.

LPH, the "authoritative" woman you describe is one reason I've never gone into a "serious" bra store. I'd be scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Really?!? I had no idea they would have reasonable prices, thanks for the information! It just seems wild to me that it is so hard to find undies small enough for me - I don't consider myself to be THAT small!
    You've probably noted my small size woes in other threads... the last time I bought undies (I wanted everyday ones and my preference is for cotton low cut briefs with very flat elastic) I had to go to the kids section for them.... brands like Hanes/ Fruit of the Loom etc are now a bit too large even in the XS size, which is rarely ever carried in the stores anyway..... I ended up buying kids, 2 different brands, even in those the sizing was way different so one pack was 12s and the other 14s. Interestingly I find that kids tend to not only be more the right size, they fit they way I want them to... I like underwear that is low cut enough to not stick out of my jeans, but that still has enough fabric over the butt to go all the way around... I hate undies that cut across my butt cheeks. In womens "briefs" tend to be HUGE and come up way high - granny panties, but hipsters, hi-cuts or bikinis don't properly cover my bum. Kids briefs do the job right for me.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

So it wasn't just me when I bought a trio of underpants recently...xs was too big for me and these were lower cut cotton briefs. It didn't used to be like that.

Pam, the dept. store lingerie sections did have the underwear ..but I was looking for a simple camiole slip-dress for sleeping. The more "conversative" dept. stores didn't even have that. Just slips clearly for wearing under dresses. And flannel wear which I find binds around me.

The LLS by me is owned by 2 young women. Maybe 30? No old ladies there.
    I think their parents bankrolled this venture and it is very successful.
    Based on your comments, I am glad my azz is big in proportion to the rest of me. I wear Hanky Panky one size fits all thongs, but they do have hipsters, too. And Le Mystere thongs. I hate underwear in general, and my main ocncern is that it doesn't show through my clothing.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

The only place I've shopped fro bras and undies for probably 15 years or so is Victoria Secret. Mostly because for me the are more comfortable than the other brands.

Shootingstar, not sure if they're your type of stores, but I love the cami slip-dresses from Gap body. They have really nice soft fabric but they have some pretty simple designs available, less lingerie-design and more loungewear. Another option is the gilligan by gilligan o'malley line at Target.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Pam, the dept. store lingerie sections did have the underwear ..but I was looking for a simple camiole slip-dress for sleeping. The more "conversative" dept. stores didn't even have that. Just slips clearly for wearing under dresses. And flannel wear which I find binds around me.
    I don't know about Canada, but in the US sleepwear and lingerie would be two different things. I would not look in the lingerie area for what you are describing. It would be normal to find slips for wearing under dresses in lingerie.