Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Meeting women my own age/interests

To disable ads, please log-in.

How do you all do it? I moved to Denver a month ago and am having the hardest time ever meeting people, especially girl friends to hang out with. I thought I'd have luck at my job, but I'm one of 2 single women, and the other one is only concerned with finding the perfect guy - I've tried getting her to go out and do something, but no luck. The other women are all married with families.

Part of the problem is my work schedule - i work until 8-9:30pm during the week and only have weekends free. I've thought about joining a running or cycling group, but I'm at a very basic level and being passed by everyone would only frustrate me. Any ideas out there?
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Not sure where you are, but my running group is great We've got quite a variety of speeds/distances/etc. From a couple Boston qualifiers to 5:30+ marathon times. (And we seem to have lots of folks in the medical field, you may even work with some of them). We meet in Wash Park on Saturdays and then go eat but I'm skipping today to work the beer festival.

But I know how you feel. I've been here for three years, and outside the running folks I have exactly 0 female friends in Denver. Only a handful of male friends that I've met through my second job. It's tough.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

In the cycling club I was a member of in North Carolina, there were riders of all speeds, so don't let that stop you. There were a lot of slower riders who rode together a lot and became good friends. Most rides will be advertised to be of a certain pace or will break into two or more groups, so obviously don't go to an "A" paced ride if you are slow, but if it's a B-C type ride, it will usually break into several groups, and some people will almost always be around the same pace as you. I had many great conversations and met some great women friends that way. There was also a women-only ride that was fun.

What other interests do you have? Perhaps there are other clubs, organizations, or groups you could join, attend meetings, etc. From book clubs to dining clubs to whatever...I would be surprised if a big city like Denver didn't offer numerous ways to meet people. But you have to get out there -- that's the hardest part. And be patient -- you've only been there a month.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I have had the worst time finding friends. I tried a couple outdoors groups, but even though I could keep up with them on hikes I felt that they where almost afraid that my fat would rub off on them. My friends I have now think I am insane and do not understand why I want back to my old life style so bad and think its just a "thing" I am going through. I even tried posting on CL for training buddies. no luck here.

Check out Meetup.org for groups in your area that focus on interests similar to yours. There may be a biking group that has separate rides for beginners, intermediate, and advanced levels.
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Ho Silver View Post
    Check out Meetup.org for groups in your area that focus on interests similar to yours. There may be a biking group that has separate rides for beginners, intermediate, and advanced levels.
    That's a great idea I always forget about. A friend of mine in NC met a lot of nice women through various meet-up groups in the local area. There was one just for women of a certain age who wanted to go out for a glass of wine and lady-chat from time to time, one for her dog's breed, one for people with a particular psychological issue... there are ALL kinds of meet-up groups -- crafts, music, sports, book lovers, the list goes on -- it's really quite amazing.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I just moved to a new state in February. I think the best plan is to go with a Meetup group or check your local bike clubs, as people from all levels tend to join. I also become a regular at our local bike shop and became friends with the owner and mechanic. They've hosted weeknight rides where I've met some fun women to ride with. You just have to be very proactive. Don't be afraid to invite people you meet to do things.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Because of your screen name the first thought shouted in my brain was POTLUCK! Judging from the amazing vegan restaurants in Denver there must be a sizable population of herbivores. Check out meet-up or facebook for any local groups. I've met a lot of great people at vegan potlucks (my partner of 4 years being one of them). Like others have pointed out, there is a group for everything out there. It's just a matter of finding them.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

I've met people in my neighborhood by getting involved with one of the committees that make decisions for my condo association. If your home is part of a homeowners/condo association or has some kind of neighborhood group, it might be worth getting involved.

Also if you went to a college that has an alumni club in your area, that's another thing to try. And if you belong to a church/synagogue/other religious thing, I know some people make friends by getting involved there.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Do join a running or cycling group - you might be surprised at the range of abilities. An exercise class during the day might be another option for meeting people. Volunteering for a marathon or 10k race might make you some new contacts while handing out water and energy drink.
    I know that it does get harder to move to a new place and make friends after age 40 or so. People already have their own circle of friends and don't really need new ones.
    I moved to this city for the job and still don't really know many people. Joining clubs has made me a few acquaintances, but no real friends. I swam with the triathlon club every Sunday morning for 5 months and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of people who ever spoke to me or acknowledged my existence. This winter I'll try the cross-country ski club. I volunteered for one of their loppets last spring and they seemed like a friendlier bunch than the triathletes.
    Queen of the sea beasts

there are actually vegan meetups here in Seattle. maybe there is such a thing where you are too.
    Go to your local food coop and sign up for something. also, DO join a running group, you can't assume everyone else runs like the wind. don't eliminate your own good ideas without trying them!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Whatever you choose to do--and I think all of the above are great suggestions--be prepared to make the first (and second and third moves) with people. Don't wait for people to come to you or to invite you out. Be pushier and more forward than you otherwise might want to be. And say yes to as much as you safely can, even if it's a bit outside your comfort zone.

To the above suggestions, I'd add joining a local YMCA. I'd suggest the Y over other gyms because they often offer social activities, too. Make use of social media, too, with respect to anything you join or are interested in. That will keep you attuned to events, impromptu gatherings and the like.
    Last edited by indysteel; 10-14-2012 at 06:15 AM.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Since I've moved twice in 2 different provinces after leaving a province where I was born, I have to say, that friendship takes time.

Guess I've gotten to a point there if I share 1-2 interests with someone, that's good enough. If we share more, ie. similar values, great, even better. As long as the other person isn't too dissimilar that we can't talk about stuff for 2-3 hrs. in 1 sitting.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I have this problem, too. Even if I share interests with people I work with (married or not), I just can't make the leap to hanging out with them outside of work, it almost feels like asking someone out on a date. With co-workers, starting with getting lunch or going out for coffee is my go-to. I have to admit I've had more trouble with women than men, I share obvious common interests with more male co-workers (and I work with 90% men). I also share your fear with cycling/running clubs not being my speed, literally or figuratively. At some point, I think you have to take a chance, one way or another. Don't exclude married co-workers, try the cycling or running club, try a new class, try a meetup or something new around another interest you have.

Maybe we should start a support group, I'll join. Once a week, stick your neck out, try to make a new friend. Just one thing. One week, I checked out the local triathlon-oriented bike shop just to see what they had. It was super passive, but I wanted to get a feel for whether I'd fit in. Someone in the elevator of my condo building was very reassuring about trying another local womens ride, saying it was very friendly to new folks (apparently she sensed my trepidation). This week, I'll have the same bike shop rebuild my bike that I'm shipping and see what strikes up from that. Baby steps.

Welcome to the Denver area!! All the above ideas sound great.. I am not one to participate in group activities..as you can tell by my name so I do a lot on my own or with DH. There are lots of groups out here though which may help you out with what you are looking for. I would offer to ride with you but I have not been on my bike since the end of June due to back issues. I may try to get some riding in pretty soon to see it feels.