8th Annual Boston Bike Film Festival
Friday Oct. 12th 7pm – 9pm
Regent Theater, Arlington, MA

"The Man Who Lived on His Bike," which will be featured in the 8th Annual Boston Bike Film Festival at the Regent Theatre on October 12th. The film amazes and delights viewers as they see Mr. Blanchet going through the motions of a regular day - feeding the fish, ironing the business shirt, relaxing with the TV - all while riding his bike through the often-snowy streets of Montreal. Partially because of all the questions Mr. Blanchet received from incredulous audiences, he also created "The Making Of 'The Man Who Lived on his Bike'" - which is just as amusing as the actual film.

The Festival, held as a benefit for the Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition (MassBike) and Bikes Not Bombs, is a celebration of cycling and film. "Our films range from polished professional pieces to labors of love, but they all display a passion for bicycling," says Festival Director Cat Bryant.

In some cases, creating the film can lead to a life change. Says Mr. Blanchet: "A year ago, I was still a copywriter in a Montreal advertising agency. But I had developed so much passion for all the projects I was working on in my spare time that I felt I had to give it a chance. Now, I am both a director and a freelance copywriter."

Other films selected for this year's Festival include an inspiring biography of Georgena Terry, the barrier-breaking founder of Terry Bicycles; a humorous take on cycling culture; a bike-themed comedy rap video. Local entries include a bike's eye view of Boston in "Boston by Bike", and a new short film created by Somerville artist Laurinda Bedingfield.

The Festival kicks off with an optional "Ride to the Movies" for those who want to pedal their way into the spirit of the evening. Bruce Lederer, founder of Bike Rides For Ordinary People (Boston's #1 Bike Club as voted by BEST of Boston A-List) will lead this casual ride from Downtown Boston to the Regent. Leaving Park Street at 5 PM, he'll make brief stops to pick up additional riders at Harvard Square at 5:30 and at Davis Square by 5:45 PM before continuing on to Arlington. Please e-mail Cat Bryant to sign up for this free ride. Riders can decide to share a quick dinner in Arlington before heading into the Festival.

The Festival Social Hour runs from 7 to 8 PM, featuring live music from the band "Slow Boat Home," a silent auction, door prizes, light bites from Redbones, and a cash bar. The first 100 attendees to arrive at the Festival will receive a FREE 24-hour pass for Hubway, Boston's rapidly-expanding bike share service.

When the films start rolling at 8 PM, they will compete for the coveted Audience Award. Whether thought-provoking, funny, or downright giddy, the films at the Boston Bike Film Festival showcase the depth and breadth of the cycling world and the filmmakers' love for life on two wheels. Don't miss the one night of the year to Ride to the Movies, and then enjoy the show.

Any other TEers plan to go? Maybe I'll see you there.