Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Speaking of the color white... Who has a white bicycle?

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I've been shopping for a new bike (with many thanks to all who have replied to my other threads!). It looks like the Dolce is winning the race - so to speak - and depending on the model, I'll have a choice of white. I honestly didn't like it much at first, but it's either growing on me, or I'm getting used to it. I like the gold accents. A few other bikes I looked at also came in white, so is this a trend/fashion color? And do people like their white bikes? I'm just not sure - looks so difficult to keep clean I'm afraid it'll show every ding.

The other bike I really liked came in matte grey. It looked like primer. I was tempted to buy it and get it painted How much would that cost? I'm a very visual person and this is driving me a little nuts. My garage/corral is right off my kitchen and it's nice to to look out and see my pretty bikes.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I have a white bike. It shows every ding, grease mark, and scratch. I knew it would, so it's no surprise. I don't worry about it.

Mine is mostly white. It was either that or matte black/pink, which I wasn't too thrilled with. I like it.
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

Yes, white bike owner here too. The worst is if it happens to start raining on a ride and all the little bits of dirt and pine needle and leaf matter end up all over the lower parts of the bike. I am a little slack about keeping my bikes absolutely pristinely clean, so I don't think I'd buy another white bike. However, it's lovely when it's all cleaned up, as rare as that is!

I do think white may be trendy right now as there weren't many white bikes around when I chose that "color" for my Bike Friday (2004), and now it seems like at least half or more of every bike I look at online that I like is white or white with some accent color.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I have a white Dolce with blue accents. I would have preferred blue with white accents but that color was not offered. The saddle and bar tape were white too, but I changed both out immediately. I have a stock Specialized white saddle available if anyone is interested, never used.

I admit I don't clean my bike as often as I should, but I do like my bike to look a little "used".

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    I have a white Dolce with blue accents. I would have preferred blue with white accents
    I was thinking if the bike was gold with white accents, it would be love at first sight.

Thanks for your replies.

I have a white Dolce with green accents, and I LOVE it. But I did have them change out the white handlebar tape for black. I knew that wasn't going to work out too well! Plus they said that the white tape made the bike look "faster"...and I didn't want to give anyone the wrong idea.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

I have a white Specialized Ruby that has some small colored accents. The primary thing I dislike about the mostly white frame is that brake pad debris/dust ends up all over the frame. The primary thing I like about the mostly white frame is that it is highly visible and makes me feel safer than if I had a frame that blended in with the road color.
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

Mine are all white with some secondary and tertiary colors. Road bike is white with orange and gray, CX bike is white with blue and black, current mtn bike is white with blue. My new mtn bike will be my first non-white bike, though the fork will be white.

I like white. I like the way mud splatters look on white bikes. I'm weird, maybe...?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

My last two road bikes have been white. I don't notice they are any dirtier looking than any other color bike (except maybe the flat brown/black Tricross my husband had for awhile). To be fair, this is my fair-weather bike so it doesn't see much rain action anymore. I have white bar tape, too. It's a vinyl tape, so it stays quite clean....I haven't had to change it in 4 years now.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Both of my bikes are pearl white. My next bike, a Ruby, will also be pearl white with teal tape. Gosh come to think of it I'm on my second white car, second whitish cat, and third white dog. Yep, I like white.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleTree View Post
    Plus they said that the white tape made the bike look "faster"...and I didn't want to give anyone the wrong idea.
    LOL!!

I have a black and white bike and was a little obsessive about cleaning it in the beginning. Now, I usually just quickly wipe off any obvious dirt, but don't worry too much about it. I don't think I could have white bar tape though. Nice look, but once it got grungy it would drive me nuts.

Good luck with the shopping! We'll all be anxiously waiting for your decision

I have a white bike with blue accents. I was actually a little concerned when I bought it because it looks like an expensive bike, and I didn't want to be a crime target. I let the frame get a bit grimy, and I don't mind. But I just had her in the shop for new shifting cables and they cleaned her up... when I went in to pick the bike up I was all like "WOW, that is one SWEET looking bike!"
    "There are only two ways to live your life: You can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle" - Albert Einstein

2012 Cinelli Gazzetta della Strada
    2011 Scott Contessa Speedster 15
    1993 Cannondale H600
    1970s Western Flyer Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Penny4 View Post
    LOL!!

Good luck with the shopping! We'll all be anxiously waiting for your decision
    Thank you! It's so nice to find people to share my enthusiasm and indecision with! The white w/gold Dolce also has the SRAM, which was the subject of another one of my threads. Part of me says to wait until next spring. Our cycling season here is pretty much over now. If I get the white bike, it will share the stable with my black bike, so I can get a yin/yang thing going I'm having too much fun.

My mountain bike is white, love the look of white bikes. I've had white cars and dark colored cars and white cars shwo their age and dirt a lot less than black cars. Not sure if the same holds true for bikes.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse