Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Interesting, though, two of the three cats really don't like premium canned food (like Blue Buffalo or Innova). While I'd be happy to pay more for higher quality, they prefer the cheap stuff. So, that's what they get.
    Ours are stupid. They all seem to get bored with foods fast. We have to rotate a few things (Authority canned, Iams canned, Friskies canned--they like the Friskies best, probably because it's like junk food). None of them have much interest in dry, anymore.

If I end up starting to cook things for them I think I will probably make several different "stews" and freeze small portions so that they're eating different things.

Dang, I don't put this much effort into what WE eat!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Our cats are also on a raw food diet (ground chicken). The older cat was addicted to kitty crack (dry kibble) at the time we started making the switch, but over the course of a few months, she gradually went 100% raw food. The vet was not thrilled at first - she wanted us to cook the food - but after their first year on the new diet she said that she could not deny that they were thriving. PM me if you want the recipe.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Prowl sounds like an interesting option. Out of curiosity, once it's rehydrated, can it sit out at room temperature for long or does it spoil?
    Nothing edible lasts that long in our house, so I've not had the opportunity to find out about spoilage To be safe, I would treat it like canned food and not leave it out for too long.

Just got the results from a stool sample dropped-off at the vet's office. Thor has no signs of parasites or other infection, so it's looking increasingly likely that IBD will be the diagnosis. The vet is gone until the weekend, so I probably won't hear from him until Sat. or Mon. to figure out what the next step is. I know he had wanted to try their cat-specific probiotics, too.

Interesting thing. I stopped by PetSmart to look at food and found that they have a new natural store brand (Simply Nourish)...all ingredients that I would eat and it was located in the aisle with all of the super premium brands like Blue and Wellness (but for about 2/3 the price). I bought a bag of one of the dry varieties (the canned were not a bad price, but I didn't like the amount of packaging--each can was inside a little cardboard sleeve...wasteful). Turkey is the main ingredient + steel cut oats, sweet potatoes, cranberry. I realized it was their brand when I got home and opened it and saw that the pieces were shaped exactly like their Authority brand (which we had been feeding our cats, until they all decided they were too good for dry and would only eat canned).

I opened the bag and they went nuts. I put a bit on top of their existing dry food (that they are barely picking at, now) and they inhaled it, picking around their old food. Cats are dumb.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

So, the only way to definitively diagnose IBD in cats is to do an intestinal biopsy. Before you jump to that, I would recommend a GI panel. I'm sure your vet has one available where you live, but if he's got the time, have him send it to the GI lab at Texas A&M. I have found that most older cats are very low on their cobalamin levels and simple B12 injections on a weekly basis for a while has cleared A LOT of their issues up before we jumped to invasive surgery. If you are ok with injecting your cat at home, most vets will draw up the 6 doses you need for you, I certainly would! B12 also acts as an appetite stimulant for some of these guys too.

As far as good goes - grain/soy free and low-carb are what I suggest. Often, those foods that leave out corn or soy just fill the diet full of wheat or another plant-based protein. Cats need animal protein, and plant protein is far from equivalent. The food I feed my kitties is EVO (www.evopet.com), which is the lowest carbohydrate dry food out there on the market. Keep in mind with these low carb, high protein foods that the initial cost up front is significantly higher than with other brands. BUT they are WAY more calorically dense - often twice as much as other major brands - so make sure you read the back of the bag carefully. Most kitties need about 180-220 kcal/day, depending on their frame size, which in EVO is about 1/3-1/2 cup per day. The canned food I like best is Wellness CORE, which is the lowest carb canned food out there too, I believe. Sometimes IBD is more of a carbohydrate maldigestion issue than the ingredients themselves.

HTH.

Thanks! A GI panel does sound like the best next step, though he already seems in love with this new PetSmart brand "Simply Nourish" food. I like the ingredients...it's still mostly meat and no corn. The vet suspected that some of his diarrhea issues could be related to canned food and the start of his diarrhea did sort of coincide with us starting canned foods. Our old, late female got to where she couldn't easily digest dry and when we switched her to canned the boys went nuts for it. Eventually it got to where they turned-up their noses at dry, entirely. It was love at first bite with this new food, so we'll see if that makes a difference. Thor definitely seems brighter-eyed and less on-edge, today. Perhaps he's back on the road to his usual old behavior of eating and napping and eating and napping. Lately he'd been harassing us for food, sleeping less, and tense (for him).

It makes sense that the more nutritionally dense the food, the less a cat has to eat to be satisfied. That works for us, too. The better I eat, the less I eat. If only healthy stuff could taste like junk food...I am a major junk food junkie!

If we ended up having to give him B12 injections I'm not sure if we'd be able to do that ourselves. Our female was such a doll and so tolerant of shots, but Thor is really strong and does not deal well with that, at least not at the vet's office.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Out of curiosity, has your cat been on antibotics in the recent past? The reason I ask is that they can often induce diarrhea that, at least in my experience, often will not resolve itself without the use of probiotics. We use a paste called Pro-Pectalin anytime our cats are on an oral antibiotics. I just wanted to throw that out that as a possibility, remote though it may be.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I don't think he's ever been on antibiotics, otherwise I'd suspect that first, too. We've been breaking a 6-strain probiotic capsule into some lactose free cat milk for a couple of weeks and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Our next move is to try one from the vet to see if that has better results.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3