Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Women's Dirt Series, Fruita CO

To disable ads, please log-in.

Attending the Women's Dirt Series was the best investment that I've made in mountain biking since I upgraded to a full suspension bike. The clinic was staffed with employees/coaches who really wanted to be there. Everything was well organized and orchestrated and the setting in Fruita couldn't be beat.

One of the things that I appreciated most about the Dirt Series was that all of the coaches taught the same steps to accomplish the focus skills. This was important because there was some crossover between coaches and the skills taught. Each coach articulated the steps slightly differently but the net effect was that we received consistent instruction. There was no confusion on the students' part and no conflicting instructions to sort through while practicing the new skills. Another benefit of the Dirt Series clinic was that the coaches were not only able to demonstrate the skills they were teaching, and articulate the steps to accomplish those skills, but they could also identify what we were doing wrong and tell us how to correct it.

I learned during the clinic that I had developed good, basic, skills. This was confidence boosting. I found out that I was on the right track for some of the more advanced skills, (advanced for me, that is), but I was sometimes missing finer steps or subtle body position. The coaches helped me refine my technique for some of the skills that I had already begun working on. I was also introduced to completely new skills that will take more time to master. I left the clinic, though, with a good understanding of the steps involved in those new skills so that I can continue working on them.

The coaches were confidence inspiring and encouraged us to stretch our skills but no one ever pushed us to try anything that made us very, very uncomfortable. While I perceived that the coaches took pride in seeing us begin to master new skills, they were respectful of how far we were willing to push our limits.

I can personally attest to the coaches' appropriate response to injuries. I managed to break my arm when my hand slipped off the handlebar and I crashed when landing the last of many jumps. An adequate amount of assistance was provided without making me feel smothered. I was relieved to have help securing my bike to my car so that I could focus on my injured arm. I can also vouch for the Furita ER where I received prompt, competent care.

The break in my arm is high up, near the shoulder. I don't have to wear a cast and it should heal completely in about 6 weeks. The really important part, though, is that I was jumping my bike! Jumping was one of my primary goals when I registered for the Dirt Series. My biggest disappointment is that I won't be able to practice again for several weeks.

All in all, I found the Dirt Series well worth the time and money. Attending another Dirt Series is on next year's bucket list. Go if you have the chance; you won't be sorry!
    Last edited by Artista; 09-29-2012 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Added link to Dirt Series website
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Sounds like a great program, although I'm really bummed you broke your arm. Heal well!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Yay!! I'm glad you learned a lot. Not "yay, you broke your arm". That part sucks.

Candice told me that someone had registered after reading my review here. I'm glad that overall you had a good experience.

C.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Thanks guys. The worst part about having a broken upper arm is that I can't ride for another several weeks. Otherwise, I'm astounded at how fast it is healing.

I did learn a lot at the clinic but it wasn't like a big light bulb switched on over my head. It was more like a string of little Christmas lights being turned on. My riding had kind of stagnated by the end of this summer. Now I'm inspired again.

Yes, Wahine, it was your review that pushed me over the edge to register for the Dirt Series. Thank you! I'm quite certain that I wouldn't have done this for another few years if not for your review. Waiting would have been my loss.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

Glad you had such a good time, and sorry about the injury. Part of coaching for them is having your W-EMT or similar certification.

Here's a suggestion, and this goes for anyone who goes to a camp. Be sure and make some notes when you get home! Typically there's so much information that there's no way you can remember it all. I'm anal enough that every night I make notes after a camp. Just one session alone (braking, for example) can give you 4 or 6 key points that you are supposed to remember. Then, as you hit the trail later on, you can pick just one or two things off the notes to work on. It's really fun if you have a buddy that went to camp with you, then you can help each other with practicing things.
    Last edited by Irulan; 09-30-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I am so glad that you walked away with what you wanted from the clinic, sounds like you had a great time! Sorry to hear about the broken arm, but glad to hear it wasn't a complex break and will heal quickly.

I was in Fruita on way to Moab last weekend and saw signs for this clinic. So great to hear your take on it. It is on my list for next year. Bummer about your arm. I fell over the weekend and broke forearm. Hoping you have a speedy recovery!

Oh darn, Erimmer, hope this broken arm thing isn't contagious We should do a fist bump if we end up at the same clinic next year...just because we can't now and can then Hope Moab was a great ride for you. I'm smitten by Furita but I've never been to Moab.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

I'm just catching this thread - sounds like a great time (til the end!)

Is it a humerus fracture, I'm guessing? Sounds like what I did snowboarding in Feb. Hope you're doing alright & healing quick!

Sounds like a great clinic to put on my schedule for next year!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Yes, I broke a small portion of the knob at the top of my humerus. The break is more vertical than horizontal. Fortunately, the break is far enough from the rotator cuff that it isn't impacting the shoulder joint.

I'm astounded by how fast this is healing. I gain a few degrees of pain free range of motion every day. I go back to the doc in 8 days to be sure that the broken piece hasn't moved significantly. If all is well, I should be able to start rehab right after the appointment.

About the Dirt Series, they have been doing 2 clinics each year in Colorado - one in Winter Park in July and another in Fruita in Sept. I'm thinking about waiting for the Fruita clinic if they run a similar schedule next year. But a lot can change between now and then
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

Wow...I hope it continues to make good progress with the ROM (Range of motion). I have worked with many people with broken shoulders. I am happy to hear you had fun at the clinic. I did not get much riding in this year/season due to back issues. Wasn't it last year when you broke your ankle?? Ahhh the life of a mountain biker. :-)

I'm sorry that your back gave you problems all summer, Solo. I've only had bad back pain for 2 weeks out of my life and that was PLENTY. I can't imagine living with chronic back pain.

Yes, I broke my ankle last Sept. It seems as if Sept is turning into my annual injury month. Next year I'm hoping to bump it down to the level of a broken fingernail.

And yes, "the life of a mountain biker". I tell people who wonder why I still ride after breaking bones that acing an obstacle on my bike feels so much better than an injury feels bad.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

That is a great attitude Artista!! Maybe next year we can get together and ride.

Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    That is a great attitude Artista!! Maybe next year we can get together and ride.
    I would love that!
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB