Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

my first organized ride as a single

To disable ads, please log-in.

well. The ad said Leisurely 20~ mile ride on Historic Bike Routes in Seattle. It was the first one that didn't conflict with my schedule. It seemed like a great jumping off spot. He said there were a couple hills. well i can't get off my own street without climbing a hill, so I couldn't eliminate a ride based on that criterion for sure.
    Weather was PERFECT. A sunny sunny day with temps getting into the low 70's!!

There were about 20 people on the ride. Most were about my age (60) but there were a good group of people in their 20's and 30's too, and a couple of really ancient looking folk. I have never seen such a diverse group of bikes and wardrobes. We had mountain bikes,vintage bikes, super duper light weight carbon fiber race bikes, touring bikes, at least 5 custom bikes, and two power assist bikes (are you serious?) and a couple beater bikes. The wardrobe variety was even better. There were the guys in the racing kit (one was on a MTB with shocks!), the lady who looked like she stepped out of Lawrence of Arabia, with her ballerina shoes and her silk gathered trousers and jewelry all over her hands. Her tattoo showed when she rolled up a pants leg. THere were people that looked ready for winter with raincoats that had hoods covering their helmets (4), and other people in shorts and short sleeved jerseys. I think if I had gone to this ride hoping to learn what to wear, I would have given up right there and then. All manner of shoes were there too. Bike shoes, slippers, birks, masai "barefoot" shoes (the ones that look like you stepped in too much mud) and all kinds of athletic runners. Most everyone looked reasonably fit.

So we were off, with me right on the ride leader's tail, one of the safest places to be; you can hear what he has to say and you can stay out of the muddle in case of trouble. He immediately showed us some hills, and 4 miles into this leisurely ride, I opted to walk up one of the hills (with about 1/2 of the rest of the riders). I didn't grumble at all each time Ms power assist zipped up the hill ringing her bell and passed me. I did think evil thoughts though. Mr Power Assist politely stayed with the rest of us for whatever reason. (Maybe someone already socked him for not breathing hard enough on a hill, I am not sure).

We were riding on what used to be the first bike riding trails in Seattle. They went from downtown to the lake and back. Only 1 small part (Interlochen) was still car-free. THe rest was all roads. We learned that Seattle had 10,000 bikes before there were cars. I felt rather pleased with myself when I realized that my husband Donald had never ridden on some of these crazy back streets and alleys. But I knew he had ridden most of them.

We upped and downed lots of Seattle hills, and had finally gotten to Lake Washington (after having to go down a series of switchbacks) when the ride leader got a phone call from the sweep. Rider down! some woman fell off her bike on the hill, when doing a U-turn to retrieve a waterbottle. So we all waited patiently for the rest of the riders to catch up, including Ms PowerAssist, who happened to be the one who fell down! (That's one heavy looking bike!). None the worst for wear, she continued to ring her bell and pass me as I panted up the next few hills.

We stopped for coffee and I sat there and ate my pnut butter sandwich. One of the older women (who I had previously attempted conversation with) looked at me as she walked by and said "well you look lonely sitting there" I guess I didn't fool her.

From Leschi on, I felt like i was in my own neighborhood, quietly chortling to myself as people discovered the sights and hills and streets, because it was not new to me at all. went back up the hill, and as we were going to summit on Beacon Avenue and then go up and down some more, I opted to leave the ride early so I didn't have to come all the way back to here, so close to my house. I did a graceful circle turn to peel off the rest of the gang and continued up Beacon and then to home.

I am reasonably worn out, and have clocked 19 miles today.
    Last edited by Biciclista; 10-06-2012 at 12:57 PM.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

People-watching by bike sure is fun. I've never seen that much diversity in a group of riders. That sounds worthy of having a helmet cam of some sort.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

ah, heck, and someone thought my light WAS a helmet cam!!! I should have thought of that.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

It sounds like an interesting ride. Your description of the people made me laugh.
    We went on a bike tour of a La Jolla with a similar group of people, but not quite as diverse as you describe.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    ah, heck, and someone thought my light WAS a helmet cam!!! I should have thought of that.
    "Why yes it is a helmet cam. Smile! You're on YouTube as we speak"
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Sounds fun, Mimi. Your report is a hoot!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Glad you liked it, Indy!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Good to read about your ride! Sounds fun and interesting, and I'm glad you got out to do it.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

looks like we here in Seattle have just one more week to pretend it's summer. and then it's all over...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    looks like we here in Seattle have just one more week to pretend it's summer. and then it's all over...
    Then we should do a TE ride. I could meet you at Gasworks?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I wish we had rides like that in my town, that sounds like fun!

Good for you Mimi for going out there. I am sure you must have been a bit nervous about going solo. I'm so happy for you.

I cannot BELIEVE power assist on a group ride. REALLY?? Unless you have some sort of disability or something, that's just beyond lame.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Am sure Donald was smiling right along with you.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com