Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

Scaring up some good runs: October

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hope you don't mind, but I started a new October running thread.

I have a big 24 hour race coming up at the end of the month, so I've been putting in some heavy miles so far this week (well, heavy for me, anyway ).
    I've run the last 4 of 5 days with a big 24 mile run tomorrow (I'm going to run 39K on my 39th birthday).
    I'm enjoying the challenge of more miles, and now that the weather is FINALLY chilly and cool- I'm enjoying it all SO much more!
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 10-05-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Congrats on turning 39!

I will be in DC on the 28th for the Marine Corps Marathon to coincide with my 50th birthday. The long runs in San Diego have been SO hot this year, I am hoping for cool clear weather so it will feel like i'm flying out on the race course

I kind of had a rehab milestone on Thursday .... first time around the block since April, 7.8 miles (shortest way around the block, but boy does it have some hills in it). It felt pretty much okay, although my knee and my Achilles were really bothering me afterward, which aren't even the injuries I'm trying to rehab from. It was cool enough that I didn't bring water and that was okay, but sooner or later I'm going to have to try carrying water. And trying a little speedwork.

Meanwhile I've been trying a little bit of water running. I think this is the sport where the word "floundering" was invented . I suppose I'll figure it out sooner or later...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I kind of had a rehab milestone on Thursday .... first time around the block since April, 7.8 miles (shortest way around the block, but boy does it have some hills in it). It felt pretty much okay...
    Yayyyyy! This is good to hear, I am so glad you have crossed this milestone!

You go Tri Girl!

And congrats, Oak. I don't think I could ever water run. Swimming is uncoordinated enough for me.

I survived 8 yesterday at an easy-ish pace, despite the low 30s temps and almost-drizzle! It was funny to see the number of Pikes Peak shirts and Ragnar jackets out - I guess everyone was waiting for the first chance at long-sleeve weather to break them out!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

40F this morning! Brings out speed in me. I was trying to keep to a 9 min mile pace, but ended up at 8:30/mile over the course of the 5.5 miles. Saw more runners out there than usual too, and a lot of bike commuters for such a cold, dark morning.

Coming out of running retirement again. Kick started the running season early because I committed to a half marathon trail race in April which means I have to get the rear in gear earlier. 5 miles on my home trail and only stopped to fuss with my new pack. The aspen are changing colors!
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

There's a half-marathon in the next town west Sunday, and I'm regretting not doing it. Seems like all my local running friends who aren't hurt are going to be there. Oh well. On the other hand, there's a pretty good chance of thunderstorms that morning. And if I decide to do the Sat. 5k, the fast people in my age group probably won't be there...

My 39K birthday trail run went well... well, it went anyway. It was tough, but mostly because it was soooo dang cold and I just couldn't get warmed up. The next day I went to the thrift store and found a sweater and made a sweater skirt to wear over my CW-X tights so my butt cheeks don't freeze in the cold.
    I ran a couple days this week, but have been feeling puny the last couple days. It's that time of year when the kids at school start getting sick and I start getting their germs. I have a 50K trail race next weekend and then a 24 hour race the following weekend so I'm playing a dangerous game of "rest as much as possible and run as little as I can get away with it to be ready for my big events while trying to not get sick." A dangerous game indeed....

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

I just read some of your blog entries. I like your "mundane ramblings of random thoughts" though mine are more cerebral dribblings. I hope your blisters heal!
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I've had a big "running fail" for the past few months...kinda depressing. It just got way too hot/humid/sunny for me to be able to manage running, and I totally lost my mojo. Finally, the weather started cooling just a bit as October arrived, but then I caught a bad cold with a cough so missed some primo running days. Today was finally feeling like myself for the first time in awhile so went out for a walk/run. More walking than running, but it's a start back. I hope to start making a more regular habit of it during our brief, warm "winter" here in Belize.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    I just read some of your blog entries. I like your "mundane ramblings of random thoughts" though mine are more cerebral dribblings. I hope your blisters heal!
    cerebral dribblings- love it!!
    The blisters healed once I got home and stabbed at them (a bit of revenge? anger management? perhaps). There were only 3 but they were very angry. They were my own fault- I should have known better.
    It's rained the last couple days and the trails are too muddy to run on and I need to run for 3 hours. I really, really, really don't want to have to run on the road. I'm going to wait until tomorrow and hope they dry out some.

Emily- you'll get back at it!! I, too, had a bad summer of running. The heat was horrible this year and it was too much for me to run in consistently (even at 5 am). You're on the way back and now that the weather has cooled down a little for you, hopefully you'll find that mojo again!!

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Emily- you'll get back at it!! I, too, had a bad summer of running. The heat was horrible this year and it was too much for me to run in consistently (even at 5 am). You're on the way back and now that the weather has cooled down a little for you, hopefully you'll find that mojo again!!
    Thank you, tri girl! I am certainly hoping the mojo hasn't left for good. I'm not much of a runner, definitely a cyclist at heart, but cycling is so limited here (beach cruisers, few roads, and flat) that running is a great way to get a really good workout, so I need it. I've been in a funk that I have been unable to motivate myself to run in the miserable heat -- I see people out there running (soaked in sweat), but I just don't seem to be "hungry" enough to do that. The cooler temps will help!
    Emily

Was about to go out for a brisk walk, when the skies opened up. So, I got on the treadmill and did a half hour of several run/walk intervals, with my run speeds at 6.0-6.2 and my walking at 4.2.
    Before I did the Cto5K, I couldn't run for more than 30 seconds at 6.0. Even though this is only my second run since June 1, I feel like I have maintained some of the speed. However, my left heel feels a little weird. This did not start from running, but I think, is from stuff I am doing at boot camp, like jumping jacks and jump ups. I don't want to give up either, so I am going to be very cautious with my re-entry into running.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

That's really fast, Crankin...that's as fast as I was running at my peak of running (and I am far from that now). Just don't overdo. Other folks I know who have done C25K and run some actual 5K events lately are still running 12 minute miles, not 10 minute miles. Great that you've kept so much fitness, but you are smart to be cautious.
    Emily