Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yay, Oak. I'm so glad you're doing better!!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Congratulations on all your accomplishments and future races. I'm doing a 5K on November 10th, they also have a 10K(my friends are running that, they've been running alot longer), but since I just started back running the end of June, I think I should just do the 5K. Today I ran my longest distance so far, 4.05 miles. Nothing compared to you 'veteran' running gals, where some day I hope to be up there with you. It was 77 degrees here in Michigan - a record high I believe, then the temps drop off for the weekend with a high in the 40's. I guess I get my tights - cold weather stuff out.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

We had another cooler (relatively speaking, of course, 80 degrees) morning with lower humidity finally, so I did a 3 mile run/walk. I've run so little since April that it was only about half running (and slow), but it's better than nothing. I hope we'll start to have more weather conducive to running now that it's that time of the year again. I am sad that I am in so much worse running shape than this same time last year when I was running 3-4 miles continuously, but it's been a warmer fall here than last. And I seem to have lost my will to run in miserable heat/humidity. I think I was so excited to be here last fall I just didn't care that it was miserable to run at times!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I usually do long runs on Saturday, but as every time I checked the weather forecast for the weekend, it looked worse and worse (and no, it's not due to the hurricane!). So today's run was longish, shorter than I would have liked it to be but longer than a usual weekday run, just a smidge under 8 miles. The weather was already changing; started out with a breeze out of the south east, ended with it from the north west. Basically, a head wind the entire way.

I really wanted to do a "dark" ride at 5:00 AM, but I got home late last night and just had to much to do, and I didn't get my bike ready. So, I jumped out of bed at 5:30 and went for my short, 2.2 mile hilly run. It was perfect running temperature, about 47 degrees. So glad I didn't go on the treadmill. I ran almost all of it, except for a few walking steps at the turn around point and again going up the hill.
    My headlamp just isn't as nice as my bike light! But, it will do for running in my neighborhood, where there is intermittent street lighting and the rest, well, I know the curves in the road by heart. *Not going to spend money on a light for running.*
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Tuesday I did a 3 mile run out at the beach (I was visiting my folks). Paved trail along the water front. It's starting to get cooler by FL standards. My "fastest" run in a LONG time. Just about 10 min miles, yoo-hoo! Today it was 4 miles. Not as fast but each mile was faster. VERY windy. So I either had a head wind, which was not fun, or the wind behind me and that made it hot! Oh well!
    Tomorrow is my long run. Hope to get 10 miles in. Forecast is for the low 70's. Not as cool as I want it for 10 miles.
    katluvr

Did 10 miserable miles this morning. 26 degrees out, which was pretty nice. I think I was just a little too dehydrated at the start. It seemed impossible to breathe even though I was going much slower than normal (slower than marathon pace, that's for sure). I got left behind by the group (though they only did 6). Fortunately we went to the pancake house afterwards and I consoled myself with pumpkin pancakes...a little taste of heaven right there!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Just now posting about my run Sat. AM. I was set to do 10 miles. I could tell from the start it would be slow. Heavy legs. And it was slow and I did take walk breaks. We had all the wind and it was pretty strong when head on. But since I was going so slow I stopped to watch a dolphin (a big one) feed along the sea wall. I am very fortunate to have our down town, it's a few miles of water front parks. It's filled with people doing "bootcamp" workouts, stroller moms, runners, walkers...you name it. Fall here in FL is lovely. Now today, we are really having a taste of all weather....barely 70. Should be a nice evening to run!
    katluvr

On a whim, I signed up for a brand new 10k trail race in Cool, CA, since I was going to be there for the obligatory annual family visit planned at the last minute. I was looking for sanity preservation more than anything as my race performances always leave something to be desired and I just re-started my annual running training a few weeks ago. Something better than DFL would be nice. I took 3rd in my age group and 21st of 85! Wahoo. I won a pint glass and some Skittles all in a Day of the Dead theme. I think they only allowed slow people to race.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 10-29-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Congratulations SadieKate -- that's fantastic! You placed in the top 25%! Woot!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Congratulations SK!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Thank you both. I caught a record steelhead a couple days earlier so it's all downhill from here! With all that fun, I handled the family visit with far more equanimity than usual.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Glad I got out for a run yesterday... I was planning on going today, but that changed when I put my dog out, first thing in the a.m.. It's seriously windy out there, though nothing like what was going on on the east coast last night. Thankfully, the snow didn't make it this far west, even if the wind has!

But if it's still nasty tomorrow, I might be resorting to the treadmill for the first time in months. Blech...

Way to go, SK! maybe I should try to schedule my next visit to my mother's to coincide with a race...

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Congrats, SK!!! Way to go!!!! A pint glass and some Skittles is an awesome prize!!! That's really great- happy for you!!

I did my first 50 miler on Saturday. Took me a little over 16 hours (there was MUCH walking after about hour 9 and only walking after hour 11). It was such a great experience. I'm not sore at all, which is surprising. The first day after I was stiff, but the only thing that bothers me now is the giant blister on the ball of my foot that is starting to heal. I have another marathon in less than 2 weeks, so I need that to heal up ASAP.

If you care to read about my race I have two blog entries about it at http://turtlepacing.blogspot.com/ The first post you see is my thoughts on the race, the post below is a photo-diary of the day with signs I had pre-made before the race. If you want to read about my experience read the first post, if you just want to see it in pictures, read the second.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Tri Girl....OMG! I just read your blog and checked out the pictures. That is amazing. I looks so cold (where was it)! Still that's amazing!

K
    katluvr