Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

So my half marathon is Nov. 18th (Women's Running here in St. Petersburg)...so about 4 weeks away. Lost the middle 1/3 of my training time to biking. So I looked at where I should be in my plan and decided that 8 miles would be do-able today. Just slow and easy. Averaged an 11 min mile pace. So that is about where I feel comfortable right now. Still warm...today we are up to 86. Most of my AM run was overcast and in the upper 70's. Still not cool, but not like the summer. I now the chances it will still be pretty warm for the HM. Back to my run: it felt "ok", nothing hurt, last mile legs were heavy and tired. So 12 miles in 2 days with not much running for weeks. Guess getting up to run tomorrow might not be the best idea.

I have to have oral surgery, but my nice new oral surgeon understands that I need to keep running until my HM. So we will be planning my surgery for the week after Thanksgiving. Amazing how full one's schedule can be!

K
    katluvr

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    Ahhhhh, so my channeling is working!
    Must be your ninja power.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Just came back from a good run. Only down the hill and back up. My plan is to not start using the Garmin until I've been running a little more regularly. The whole thing is 2.2-2.4 miles (I forget) and I did a little bit more running in the beginning, because a neighbor who was driving by stopped to talk to me and when I finished that, I began running instead of continuing my warm up. So, I ran up an extra hill, which I know is 8%, down the hill to the 1.1 mile mark with one 20 second walk break, and then back up the flat and 10% grade with 2 very short walk breaks. I'd say I ran about 2 miles and felt pretty good. At least now I won't feel guilty about going out to dinner.
    I think the ten sets of 20 seconds of burpees yesterday made the uphill run feel not so bad.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Well my Palo Duro 50K turned out to be a 30K. I was doing well and feeling good until about mile 8 when I moved off the narrow trail to let a fast 50 miler pass me (he was lapping me at that point ) and I slipped and fell HARD (bruised my hip and knee, and got scratched up). He didn't even stop to ask if I was OK. I boo-hooed and walked for about 5 miles and then I just couldn't get in a groove. It hurt to run and walking was hard, too. Plus that course was wicked hard and technical and it was in the 90's when I stopped at mile 19. I knew I didn't have another 12.5 mile loop in me with the rising temps and the prospect of it taking another 4+ hours to do that last lap. I could tell I was getting behind on my hydration, so I stopped. I'm doing a 24 hour race this coming weekend and I didn't want to trash myself (anymore than I already had). So I didn't complete my first 50K. Oh well, I will get more than that this weekend at the 24 hour race.

1st pic is of the sun rising over the canyon walls. The little white dot is a runner's headlamp behind me on the trail. It was pitch black dark for about the first 20 minutes.
    2nd pic is one of the prettier areas in the canyon
    3rd pic is a smokin' fast 50 miler flying by me. He looked like Phoebe from Friends running all crazy- like.
    4th pic is of the bridges there. I had to be careful going over them. The boards were so far apart they'd grab your shoe toe and almost throw you down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0606.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	15568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0630.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	15566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0635.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	15567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0642.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	15569  
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 10-21-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

OW, Tri Girl. So sorry! Still, you did 14 miles more than I've ever done! Nothing to feel bad about except the pain you're certainly in. Hope you heal up by the next superhuman feat. A 24-hour race!?!?
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Ow Tri Girl! Hope you heal up quick. Sounds like you made the right decision though.

It was a perfect day for running here (except for the little yappy dogs, one of whom ran all the way across a four-lane highway with its owner chasing after it...). I was bummed to miss the Columbus Marathon this year, but it was hard to be too sad on such a beautiful day (especially since I didn't have to get out of bed before daylight and stand around in the freezing cold ). I did the 9-mile loop again right at a 10 mm pace. The treatments are really loosening up my low back, which is some long standing stuff, and the numbness in my legs is improving too. Fingers crossed...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post

It was a perfect day for running here (except for the little yappy dogs, one of whom ran all the way across a four-lane highway with its owner chasing after it...). I was bummed to miss the Columbus Marathon this year, but it was hard to be too sad on such a beautiful day (especially since I didn't have to get out of bed before daylight and stand around in the freezing cold ). I did the 9-mile loop again right at a 10 mm pace. The treatments are really loosening up my low back, which is some long standing stuff, and the numbness in my legs is improving too. Fingers crossed...
    Nice run out there today, Oak! 10mm's are impressive! Crossing my fingers, too, that you're on the road to no more numbness!!

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

I'm sorry, Tri Girl. I hope you feel better soon!

No runs this weekend for me. Yesterday was a much needed day off. I was supposed to run today, but I had plans with an old friend that ran long. By the time I got home, I had laundry to do and dinner to make. I have a run planned for tomorrow though.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

My brother lives on the route of the Columbus marathon and was whining about the inconvenience... My suggestion was that if he starts a couch to 5k now, he'll have plenty of time to build up to running it next year (at least the half). He's not sold on that plan! But I'm (tentatively) planning on doing it next year, not sure if the half or whole shebang, what with a free place to stay and all. Although I can foresee a potential problem, as he lives around mile 6 or so, and I could well be feeling like stopping at that point...

Anyway, this morning was about 7 miles, and I saw (barely) a lot of bike commuters without lights in the pre-dawn darkness. Decent bikes, helmets, and some with reflective gear, but no lights-- what are they thinking?

They're not.
    I see the same thing when out riding or running in the early AM.

I have been running in spats! I went for a quick 2.5 mile on my lunch break today. I'm so not used to going to an office every day. It's such a pain to change clothes and clean-up in the bathroom--but I'm making an effort!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Just finished 3 miles on the treadmill. Okay, I've decided to run at a slightly slower pace than I did last year given that my HR has been a wee bit elevated thanks to my thyroid. It's working like a charm, and I've been able to run without stopping. So I'm not going to break any speed (or distance) records, but mentally, it's more satisfying than stopping every mile or so to let my HR come down a bit.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

It was supposed to be a tempo run this morning. But freshly fallen leaves and uneven pavement and poor lighting are a bad combination. After a near fall, I slowed down rather than go down. Ended up doing about 5 miles at a pace more typical of long runs. Oh well...

smart thinking, skhill! Better to be a little slower than a LOT broken and bruised.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

I was going to say the exact. same. thing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm really starting to get better from the injuries I sustained seven months ago when one of the main contributing factors was not wanting to slow down when I was on a mile repeat...

Speaking of which, I'm actually starting to dare to hope. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed. 7 x 1 minute sprints today - just because the 1 minute sprints are my least demanding speed workout. It was one of those days when I was exactly evenly split between wanting a day off physically and mentally, vs really wanting to get outside WITHOUT having to drive the stupid car again - way way way too much running around to health care the last 10 days. Ha. I figured a short but "hard" run involved the least amount of commitment. I'm glad I did it.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler