Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Foot pain? Arch pain??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all,
    Around mile 65 of the Apple Cider Century, I noticed a pain around the inner side of my foot, near the arch, top of the ankle bone. At the last rest stop I stopped at, I took my shoes off and walked around. I didn't (and don't) have any pain walking. Or standing. Or doing anything that does not involve pedaling. And honestly, after that rest stop, the pain was about 1/3 of where it was when it started. I took two days off the bike after that century (no pain) and went to a spin class last night where I noticed the pain was back - not as bad as it was on the century ride, but still noticeable.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I wear Specialized S-Works Road Shoes, so I don't think stiffness is an issue. I'm a little baffled that this pain is only present when pedaling, when there's little to no impact on the foot. Maybe it's a tendon thing? Last night, I thought maybe it was the pull-up of the pedal stroke that was causing it. I can bend, flex, walk, sleep, and the foot doesn't bother me. Seems to only be on the bike (which is a major crisis to me).

I'm going to a chiropractor today and hoping that maybe he can help too, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    2009 Blue RD-1/White Selle Italia Max Flite Gel

I'm not 100% clear on where your pain is, but at the risk of stating the obvious, are your shoes too tight (either in size, or in how tight you're fastening them)? If not, would tongue pads or thicker socks help?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I thought it could be my shoes were too tight, initially. The pain seemed localized to the left side of the tongue area of the shoe if that makes any sense. Right where it seems to hit my ankle bone on the inside of my foot. The pain then moved to the top of my foot and up my shin a little bit. I was wearing wool socks (thinner wool socks) that day because it was chilly. I loosened up the BOA closure when I started to feel the pain, but that either didn't help or I had done enough damage already to where the loosening didn't help. In my hypochondriac phase, I thought it was the beginning of plantar fasciitis, but I don't seem to have most of the symptoms listed (no stabbing pain when walking or first thing in the morning when you get out of bed, no tingling, etc.). I'm wondering if the cleat position is off - I've had problems adjusting to these shoes, and I'm wondering if I need to move the cleat rearward. Maybe I'm using a part of my foot that I shouldn't be using and I've caused some sort of tendon strain?

Since no one else has replied ... I'm still having trouble understanding where the pain is. On the one hand it sounds like it's on the dorsal side of your foot (in contact with the straps and/or tongue of your shoe), but then you say arch and plantar fasciitis, which are on the plantar (sole) side.

Sometimes when I'm having a problem it really helps me to look at an anatomy chart and see exactly what anatomical structures are bothering me. There are a lot of them free online. Here are some.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Well I thought I had replied to this but I'm not seeing it.

Do you wear the same shoes for spinning that you wear while riding your bike?

Also, are they new shoes?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

My spin and road shoes are not the same. My spin shoes are quite old (and well used) and my road shoes are just a few months old. The pain didn't start until this Sunday's century ride. Think it's something to do with my spin shoes?

It sounds similar to a pain I get in both feet (but more on the right) after biking for extended periods. This only started happening when I started doing more things (including running) barefoot or in barefoot type shoes. My podiatrist thinks it's because my bike shoes are more structured, stiffer and with less room for toe splay when I press down on the pedals. Because it's not really a weight-bearing sport, it takes quite a while for the pain to surface. Pain is alleviated almost immediately upon removal of my shoes and walking around in sock feet allowing my toes to splay out naturally. In my case (and maybe yours), tendons are getting squished and eventually, they start to complain.

I would bet that if you went a few days without cycling, the pain would be gone for the next ride and probably won't resurface until you do another longer ride. That's how it works for me. (I also wore specialized carbon road shoes). Unfortunately, I don't really have a solution for you. My podiatrist wanted to cut my road shoes but before I got that far with him, I got injured and had surgery so it's a whole new game for me now.

I hope you figure it out soon!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    It sounds similar to a pain I get in both feet (but more on the right) after biking for extended periods. This only started happening when I started doing more things (including running) barefoot or in barefoot type shoes. My podiatrist thinks it's because my bike shoes are more structured, stiffer and with less room for toe splay when I press down on the pedals. Because it's not really a weight-bearing sport, it takes quite a while for the pain to surface. Pain is alleviated almost immediately upon removal of my shoes and walking around in sock feet allowing my toes to splay out naturally. In my case (and maybe yours), tendons are getting squished and eventually, they start to complain.

I would bet that if you went a few days without cycling, the pain would be gone for the next ride and probably won't resurface until you do another longer ride. That's how it works for me. (I also wore specialized carbon road shoes). Unfortunately, I don't really have a solution for you. My podiatrist wanted to cut my road shoes but before I got that far with him, I got injured and had surgery so it's a whole new game for me now.

I hope you figure it out soon!
    Did you switch road shoes? I'm sure I'm not helping matters by going from a fairly neutral running shoe, one day a week, to spin shoes, which a much more flexible sole that I wear 2-4 times a week, and on top of that, cycling shoes with an uber stiff sole which I wear 5-6 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by tongue_tied View Post
    Did you switch road shoes? I'm sure I'm not helping matters by going from a fairly neutral running shoe, one day a week, to spin shoes, which a much more flexible sole that I wear 2-4 times a week, and on top of that, cycling shoes with an uber stiff sole which I wear 5-6 times a week.
    Well, before my surgery, I did find that the problem was less with my mountain shoes (also specialized carbon pro) than with my road but it was still an issue. I purchased my mountain shoes slightly less fitted so that I could fit thicker winter socks on under them, so maybe that's why. Now I can't wear either pair anymore because my foot is totally different. I was also off it (running, cycling, and most walking) for about 4 - 5 months, so everything has changed for me. Actually, now that I think about it...if I put on ANY hard or structured shoe, I immediately get a similar pain as before...but now it's immediate. I did find a pair of Northwave mountain shoes (that reviews were saying ran really wide) that I can wear for riding as I recover. I'm so out of shape that I haven't done a ride over 25 miles since the beginning of the year though...so my judgement is off. At least with these new wider shoes (I think I need the wide toe box...not wider overall), I can tolerate the pain for a few hours or so.

Again, my situation has really changed though, so I'm not a very good judge anymore!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Well, before my surgery, I did find that the problem was less with my mountain shoes (also specialized carbon pro) than with my road but it was still an issue. I purchased my mountain shoes slightly less fitted so that I could fit thicker winter socks on under them, so maybe that's why. Now I can't wear either pair anymore because my foot is totally different. I was also off it (running, cycling, and most walking) for about 4 - 5 months, so everything has changed for me. Actually, now that I think about it...if I put on ANY hard or structured shoe, I immediately get a similar pain as before...but now it's immediate. I did find a pair of Northwave mountain shoes (that reviews were saying ran really wide) that I can wear for riding as I recover. I'm so out of shape that I haven't done a ride over 25 miles since the beginning of the year though...so my judgement is off. At least with these new wider shoes (I think I need the wide toe box...not wider overall), I can tolerate the pain for a few hours or so.

Again, my situation has really changed though, so I'm not a very good judge anymore!
    Gotcha. I'm wearing the Specialized Pro Carbon Road shoe - and I've had a few problems since getting them a few months ago that I've never had before. These weird little problems are the worst. Okay. not the worst. But, they do stink.

Tongue_tied-
    I've got the same shoes, they are really stiff in the sole, and that is good. But they also come with the BG footbed which is available with various amounts of arch and metatarsal button; red- little support, flat foot, blue- more arch support for flat to regular arch and green-for high arch. There are also wedges that fit under the footbed in the toebox area to position the foot/leg at the right angle. It may be that the standard footbed isn't quite right for your feet.

And yes also check cleat position.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

I have a chronic issue with the hallucs longus tendon in my right foot (probably the result of breaking that toe as a teenager and never seeing a doctor/having it set or treated). Google hallucs longus tendonitis and see if your symptoms match. Superfeet insoles help. Best wishes.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly