Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What else should I be test riding?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been riding a straight bar bike for several years. Yesterday, we - the bike and I - went to get measured and fitted. The LBS guy put the bike on a trainer and had me pedal while he watched. He seemed surprised (and maybe impressed?) that everything appeared to be adjusted just right. So he asked me lots of questions and we discussed my riding style and needs.

"Can I show you a different bike?" he asked, and rolled in a Dolce Sport. OOOh...shiny! And red! It was like meeting a celebrity Anyway, I loved flying around the parking lot on it, but I know I should be test riding others. I will see a Trek Lexa (is that the name?) tomorrow, and would like to know what else is similar that I should try.

I'm 5'0", so I have the advantage of getting a good price on a leftover '12, but the disadvantage of the stores not having my size in the first place. Also, any model that doesn't have that funny stripe on the top tube will have an advantage (kidding - sort of).

Thanks for all the great info!

Those a good first two to try. I'd try as many brands as you can, even go to other LBS to get them. Then, once you've found your bike, start over again. I think it's important to start over again because each bike you ride will get you more used to the style, so your first two will not get the respect they deserve.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Re: What else should I be test riding?

I had similar bikes I was interested in so I would suggest checking out the Cannondale Synapse line. My friend has the Synapse 6 and its a very nice bike. She loves it. I am biased because I personally like how Trek handles and I find that they have better components for same price point. I recently moved from a trek hybrid to 2013 Trek Lexa SLX. The SLX model has the new comfortable Trek Domane frame and mostly shimano 105 components....so far it is awesome! I have 130 miles on it. As everyone will say....the Specialized Dolce and the bikes I just named are so similar and it comes down to personal preference. Have fun test riding!

Giant has the Avail/Defy, but they tend to run large. See if you can find an extra-small to try out. There's also the Fuji Finest and Jamis Satellite (Sora or Tiagra) or Quest (105 with Ultegra rear derailleur). I think Felt also has one, but I can't remember what it's called.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Giant has the Avail/Defy, but they tend to run large. See if you can find an extra-small to try out. There's also the Fuji Finest and Jamis Satellite (Sora or Tiagra) or Quest (105 with Ultegra rear derailleur). I think Felt also has one, but I can't remember what it's called.
    One of the ones I tried was the Felt ZW6. It comes in a 43 cm size, and the guy at the lbs told me that the 2013 models in the smallest size have the larger 700 cm wheels (the 2011 I looked at had 650 cm wheels).

Their aren't many options with 650 wheels for 2013. Trek dropped its 43cm bikes with 650 wheels after 2011. Now Felt is dropping its offering. Terry does have small bikes with small wheels. They have steel and aluminum. Here is Terry's geometry chart: http://www.terrybicycles.com/Ready-T...cycle-Geometry

The Specialized bikes, the Ruby and the Dolce, come in a 44cm size which is pretty compact even though they have 700 wheels.

The downside of 650 wheels is finding tires, especially if you want something wider than 23s. Yet, depending on how you are built the smaller wheels just may be what you need. I needed an extra small bike because my torso and arms are so short, so I ended up with 650 wheels. If a bike with larger wheels fits you I would get the bike that can take the 700 wheels.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

My first 2 road bikes (Cannondale and Trek) had 650 wheels on a 47 cm frame (I'm 5'1"). I now have an extra small men's size frame with 700 wheels and I don't feel any difference. It felt "high up" at first, but now, nothing. People argue about this stuff all of the time, but I really don't feel like it mattered that much in my riding. I'm more concerned with having 165 cranks, whichdoes make a difference for me.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    I've been riding a straight bar bike for several years. Yesterday, we - the bike and I - went to get measured and fitted. The LBS guy put the bike on a trainer and had me pedal while he watched. He seemed surprised (and maybe impressed?) that everything appeared to be adjusted just right. So he asked me lots of questions and we discussed my riding style and needs.

"Can I show you a different bike?" he asked, and rolled in a Dolce Sport. OOOh...shiny! And red! It was like meeting a celebrity Anyway, I loved flying around the parking lot on it, but I know I should be test riding others. I will see a Trek Lexa (is that the name?) tomorrow, and would like to know what else is similar that I should try.

I'm 5'0", so I have the advantage of getting a good price on a leftover '12, but the disadvantage of the stores not having my size in the first place. Also, any model that doesn't have that funny stripe on the top tube will have an advantage (kidding - sort of).

Thanks for all the great info!
    I spent a few days last week going back and forth between the Dolce and the Lexa. I finally went with the Dolce, but both would have been a good choice. I loved both of them.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Thanks for all the info. I just rode the Trek Lexa SLX and a Scott Contessa. I think the Scott has been the most comfortable so far, but I'd like to go back and try the Dolce again.

What do you think of these two combinations: full carbon frame with Tiagra, or aluminum frame/carbon fork with 105? They're both 2012's and the LBS would drop a few hundred dollars off. They're both Scott. Honestly, though, I really don't like the looks of either one. I know that may seem unimportant, but I'd like my bike to look fun and pretty! These bikes both look so serious.

I spent so much time in the store I didn't get to the Felt dealer.

Don't get a bike that does not appeal to you aesthetically. You certainly don't want anything to deter you from riding even a blah color/color combo. Keep looking. You will know by the big grin on your face when you find just the right one.....great fit, geat color, right price.

P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

Thanks P2. I'm sure my bike is just waiting for me somewhere! Funny thing though. I forgot that when I went for the fitting, the LBS guy adjusted my straight bars so they were a little lower and further forward. Yesterday I went for a short ride and the new setting felt really good, making me wonder if I should really be looking for a new bike now. I'm going back to the first LBS to look at the Dolce again, anyway.

So...any news?
    2014 Felt Z75

I test rode a bike that I thought had an ugly color scheme. Five minutes into the ride I thought she was the most beautiful bicycle ever. 15 months later and I'm still in love.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    So...any news?
    No - not yet. But I saw where you went back and bought another bike! You're my inspiration! I found the Lexa felt very different from the Dolce. I have a few threads running now, so I don't know if you've followed them. I tried a Dolce with SRAM components and I liked it a lot. That was the white bike that I wasn't sure I could love.

Then the steel option came up, and maybe build a custom Surly, but I'm still leaning towards the Dolce. I'm not in a rush. It will be winter soon. Our season is short and I really need to consider needs/wants and if I even should get another bike.

I saw a purple Kona the other day...

Thanks for asking - enjoy your new rides!

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    No - not yet. But I saw where you went back and bought another bike! You're my inspiration! I found the Lexa felt very different from the Dolce. I have a few threads running now, so I don't know if you've followed them. I tried a Dolce with SRAM components and I liked it a lot. That was the white bike that I wasn't sure I could love.

Then the steel option came up, and maybe build a custom Surly, but I'm still leaning towards the Dolce. I'm not in a rush. It will be winter soon. Our season is short and I really need to consider needs/wants and if I even should get another bike.

I saw a purple Kona the other day...

Thanks for asking - enjoy your new rides!
    I figured I had to get it since I kept thinking about it. They are different and since I have two houses a few hours apart over a mountain pass, I could rationalize it as not having to carry them back and forth. I left the Dolce over on the dry side of the state where it's flatter and a keeping the Lexa (triple) over here where I have to ride a lot more hills and climbing seems to be easier for me with the triple.

I can also rationalize it that its my freedom. I spent most of my adult life in the military and as a disabled veteran, I have foot issues that make it impossible for me to run (no feeling, nerve damage). I found biking and it's complete freedom for me again. I can ride and ride the way running used to be for me.

Purple kona? I love purple. sigh...my specialized myka HT is purple and gray.

Yes, my Dolce is white with red. I found that it looked really good splattered with mud last weekend

I hope you find one (or more!) that you love too.

Luckily we can ride here most of the year -- what's a little rain? it's good that you have time to think about it...unless your list gets longer
    2014 Felt Z75