Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

To disable ads, please log-in.

Other than alleviating some problems at registration, how would technology improve things? I think the Cinderella, like many Bay Area rides, has just gotten too popular for its own good in recent years. Having only the one course on Cinderella, yet 2000+ riders, also makes the ride seem more crowded than other events, which often have multiple route options. Then of course Cinderella does specifically attract and invite new riders. But it is nice to see how much women's cycling has taken off over the decade or so that I've been riding.

I'm not doing the ride this year, but I think the Valley Spokesmen do a great job, and a great "service" to the cycling community, in continuing to put the ride on.

Online registration would allow spaced out starts. There are rides that are now giving timed starting slots to space people out. On line registration would allow you to sign up for a time and then someone just has to enforce the start. Runs have been doing this for years. Usually this is not too critical but, I agree, the 2,400 women all on one course in a highly urbanized setting is really a problem. They have a unique problem due to this.

Technology isn't involved with night before registration, but it would help alleviate the crowds that get bunched up at the start and maybe the huge lines at the rest stops. Somebody creative could come up with a way to get your "boarding pass" online the night before and anything to be picked up (like a patch) could be collected at the end of a ride (the way it used to be done at rides).

Support is for the most part pretty good but I think they really need to put a few course marshalls out at some of the high traffic intersections. Safety for the cyclists as well as goodwill with the community. I think that is why Party Pardee goes so well on those narrow roads.

Unfortunately, this is the only ride that I ever hear a significant volume of negative remarks (and from people not on this forum). It is really too bad.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

It's very easy to stop the mailings from Active.com, tell them you don't want them. I use Active.com whenever possible, and do not receive any mailings.

Geez, BikerDar, this was comments on what I see as some unfortunate decisions made by the organizers that may sabotage the incredible efforts by the rest of the volunteers – notice that I differentiate between the decision-makers and the volunteers. If you’d read all the posts, you would know I am not coming. Also, that I am not slamming the ride itself. Just because a ride is popular doesn’t mean it is perfect now and for all eternity.

I think the club has done a tremendous job fostering women’s riding. The support on the route is incredible (except for course marshals at a few critical intersections). I have and still do encourage many women to participate. I also think the organizers need to get very creative and come up with solutions for problems that are created at this unique event. I haven’t ridden since 2004 but I remember the anger and frustration I saw on drivers’ faces at several points on the course and on the other bike path users when they funneled us onto one with a snaky-airport-line-like exit. I’m just musing on ways they could alleviate the traffic jams that are created in multiple places by what is essentially a mass start of 2,400 women, ways to reduce the frustration experienced by both the riders and the public.

BakerDar, calm down and quit taking these comments so personally. Do you attack everyone who looks for improvement? Survival is for the fittest and those who can adapt. I just think Cinderella is heading for an unhappy future because of the impact on the rest of the public and the particiapants need to take some responsibility for offering constructive suggestions, especially since it is a pipedream to get everyone to follow biking rules.

By the way, I use Active all the time and don’t get any emails to speak of. I can’t remember the last one. And costumes will show up at the Little Red Riding Hood.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 02-11-2006 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    And costumes will show up at the Little Red Riding Hood.
    And just about any AIDs multi-day ride! Sadiekate did I ever tell you all about the guy that rode CAR7 in drag, complete with pumps. He had his cleats attached to the pumps!

Ow, I don't do heels anyless there is a large amount of money involved.

Unhappy Need Registration

Guess I mailed too late; my reg check for Cinderella was returned.

If you know of anyone who got in, but can't ride, I would love to buy their entry from them! Please let me know...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kkuff
    Guess I mailed too late; my reg check for Cinderella was returned.

If you know of anyone who got in, but can't ride, I would love to buy their entry from them! Please let me know...!!!
    <As I continue to channel CorsairMac >

Hi kkuff. Welcome to the forums. There's a thread in Open Topics called "Getting to know you". Drop on by and say hello.

Mel

I do just skim around

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Geez, BikerDar, this was comments on what I see as some unfortunate decisions made by the organizers that may sabotage the incredible efforts by the rest of the volunteers – notice that I differentiate between the decision-makers and the volunteers. If you’d read all the posts, you would know I am not coming. Also, that I am not slamming the ride itself. Just because a ride is popular doesn’t mean it is perfect now and for all eternity.

I don't mean to come across defensive or bit**y, I just seemed to be seeing more complaints than compliments about the ride, so I wanted to jump in.
    I don't think there's any perfect ride. I'm new to this site so I don't know anybody accept Cindysue. I have no idea where any other posters are coming from with their posts, so it's hard to tell constructive criticism from plain old whining and complaining, especially as I'm just skimming and maybe not catching all the little words.

happy riding