Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A bike shop would probably be happy to host night before reg. It gets customers and money in the door.

You don't need an inside source to know that all bike clubs have unique personalities, quirks, oddities, etc.

Back in the 80s and early 90s, we all had to stand in line while some guy looked over our bike and gave it a "safety check" and put a dot on the stem. Talk about lines! I wanted to tell the guy, thanks, but I can probably tune it better than you can. It was kind of a 2-way street -- trying to take care of the wimmen but also demeaning because it implied that only men could wrench.

Snap, you supply the martinis and I'll help smash those looms!
    Last edited by SadieKate; 02-03-2006 at 05:25 PM.

Mmmmmmmmmm, martinis.

"slinkedog Mmmmmmmmmm, martinis. "

Ok, do we surf over to the next thread which is: when and where and how many reservations for our *2nd* anual pre-Cindy carb-martini load feast?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Has someone started a dinner thread?

OK, Sis (Trek420). Saw this thread today. Now I'm really getting nervous. Doing the Cindy has been hypothetical up to now, but here you are talking about night before dinner and martinis. Did you sign me up too? Is the check cashed? Do I have to drink a martini? (Yuck!) So far I've only been doing imaginary hills at spin class. I think I've been doing bigger ones in my imagination than what the flywheel's been doing in terms of resistance. Oh dear. Hope the weather's OK next week so I can test myself on Jack London Rd. See ya soon. What day(s) are you off? And what's the weather forecast?
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

No worries bikeless, you can drink whatever you want !

But don't poo-poo martinis en toto until you've tried a Lemon Drop, the Unofficial Beverage of the Cinderella Classic, named either in honor of Lemon Drop Hill, the hill at which the designated Prince Charming hands out lemon drop candies to those who survive the arduous (um, not really) climb, or, in honor of our own snapdragen, or, to be more precise, in honor of what happens to our own snapdragen after she's consumed mass quantities of said beverage.

- jo "queen of the run-on sentence" bob

**Brat**

Quote Originally Posted by jobob

But don't poo-poo martinis en toto until you've tried a Lemon Drop, the Unofficial Beverage of the Cinderella Classic, named either in honor of Lemon Drop Hill, the hill at which the designated Prince Charming hands out lemon drop candies to those who survive the arduous (um, not really) climb, or, in honor of our own snapdragen, or, to be more precise, in honor of what happens to our own snapdragen after she's consumed mass quantities of said beverage.

- jo "queen of the run-on sentence" bob

snapdragen "Has someone started a dinner thread?"

not yet. thought this whole board is a dinner thread.

Sorry for the cornfusion I will cause by referring to a post below this one but I thought that "jodrop" and "lemondrop" *both* refer to rides where I can't keep up with either one of you?
    Last edited by Trek420; 02-04-2006 at 09:47 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Well they could just as easily call it the Jo Drop but somehow that just doesn't sound right

Tell you what, from here on out we'll re-christen the chocolate martini at the Cheesecake Factory the Jo Drop. Better?
    Last edited by jobob; 02-04-2006 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Cheesecake Factory, not Spaghetti Factory

But don't poo-poo martinis en toto until you've tried a Lemon Drop, the Unofficial Beverage of the Cinderella Classic
    they're very sweet, not at all like the james bond martini you might be thinking of ......
    Cheers!

Cindy

Team Luna Chix

They're made with vodka, not (ick) gin.

I'm gonna have to try one this year. Last year, I was Miss Goody-two-shoes and poopoo'd the alcohol. But you guys are making it sound yummy!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen
    I'm pretty sure this will be the last year I ride Cinderella. Besides the rumors of it ending, I'm just tired of the whole luddite attitude the sponsoring club has. (I'm so looking forward to spending 45 minutes to an hour waiting to check in.)
    It used to be that you could register day of for the Cinder, but it got so popular the club had trouble with the cities involved, because there would end up being more riders than they had predicted and permitted for.

Not sure what you mean by the 'luddite' crack. The club makes no money on this ride, they put it on to encourage women riders. They don't have the funds to become more technological, and for just one ride a year, why put out the money. The ride originally started because female club members felt like they got the short end of the stick because they'd end up doing all the work while the men road. Thus the woman only Cinderella was born.

Not sure what time you're arriving that you end up waiting 45 minutes, unless you're getting there when the gates first open. Go a little bit later and there isn't as much, if any, wait.

It's one of the best supported rides you will find, and they have kept the fee the same for many years. This can't be said for a lot of the other rides that other clubs put on. If you don't want to do the ride, don't. There are plenty more who'd be happy to have your space.

I've arrived early and I've arrived late - alway there is a wait to check in. I can't agree about being the best supported ride either, but we are entitled to our opinions. I've done many others that are/were much better. And yes, I'm aware of how the ride originated. But it has evolved, whether the club wants to admit it or not. It's no longer 1976 - time to move into 2006, that includes the fee if necessary. The Tierra Bella is only $10 more, with online registration, night before check-in, and a much better supported ride too.

Main Entry: Ludd·ite
    Pronunciation: 'l&-"dIt
    Function: noun
    Etymology: perhaps from Ned Ludd, 18th century Leicestershire workman who destroyed machinery
    : one of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying laborsaving machinery as a protest; broadly : one who is opposed to especially technological change

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDar
    It used to be that you could register day of for the Cinder, but it got so popular the club had trouble with the cities involved, because there would end up being more riders than they had predicted and permitted for.

Not sure what you mean by the 'luddite' crack. The club makes no money on this ride, they put it on to encourage women riders. They don't have the funds to become more technological, and for just one ride a year, why put out the money. The ride originally started because female club members felt like they got the short end of the stick because they'd end up doing all the work while the men road. Thus the woman only Cinderella was born.

Not sure what time you're arriving that you end up waiting 45 minutes, unless you're getting there when the gates first open. Go a little bit later and there isn't as much, if any, wait.

It's one of the best supported rides you will find, and they have kept the fee the same for many years. This can't be said for a lot of the other rides that other clubs put on. If you don't want to do the ride, don't. There are plenty more who'd be happy to have your space.
    Last edited by snapdragen; 02-07-2006 at 04:25 PM.

They're made with vodka, not (ick) gin.
    Aha! Now THAT makes a big difference. In fact, I may have had one of those at the Ferry Building last Fall. Unfortunately, as designated driver, I had to have it "virgin" but even as expensive lemonade with chopped mint in a martini glass it was very nice, and I could imagine it powered up with a shot of vodka. So, yeah! I'll keep that in mind as a motivation to finish and deserve to celebrate.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.