Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Mountain Biking in Brisbane, Australia

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm an Australian girl who's been living in the UK for the last 5 years, and I have a question for any Aussie girls who browse this forum. I only really got into mountain biking a year and a half ago and I'm wondering what the mtb scene is like for girls in Australia, especially around Brisbane? I ask because I'm planning to head home some time within the next year and I want some idea of what I'll be getting myself into...
    Look where you want to go...

Me Too

Hi Zen_Grrl

I'd be really interested in doing some mountain-biking in Brisbane as well. I'm also living in the UK and have been here for 5 years. I've got into cycling in the last year and have done a little bit of off-road, but really want to get into mountain-biking when I get to to Oz. I've mainly just been commuting and now do a bit of touring.

Let me know how you get on.

Victoria
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK to Brisbane, Australia - It's the Big Trip - www.bigtrip.blogspot.com

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I am also an Aussie girl, living in UK, recently addicted to Moutain Biking, and planning on heading home to Brisbane in the next 12 months...

If nothing's happened in Brisbane by the time I get there, sounds like we already have three potential members of a club!

definitely....

why is it that I only meet people from Sydney in person???

Anyway guys, when are you heading home? I'm hoping to go travelling for a year and then get home so end 2004 hopefully.

Victoria
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK to Brisbane, Australia - It's the Big Trip - www.bigtrip.blogspot.com

the beaches are calling me....

Victoria,

My partner and I will be applying for a visa for him to migrate in December and with a processing time of a maximum of 4 months I'll be back by April 2004. Yippee - I can just feel the beach calling me!!!

As regards mountain biking in Brisbane, I know from my web surfing that a new mtb park has opened out near Samford -Brisbane Mountain Bike Park which looks as though it could be worth a look. And I've heard that Daisy Hill also has some good riding, but it's hard to find out a lot of detail.

Do stay in touch though, it's reassuring to know that there will be at least two other girls on mtbs out there!!!

Zen

Scary...

Hi Zen

My husband just went to the Australian consulate on Monday and got his visa! We did the front-end loading thing (where you take it all in at once) and had everything there and they did it straight away - it was easier I think because we've been married but you should look into it and see if you can front-end load it as the woman just looked at it, asked my husband a couple of questions and did the visa then and there.

Don't you miss the beach? I can't wait - just packing the car up on a Saturday morning and heading up the coast. I was talking to a friend of mine on the weekend and she's going back next week. She's hiring a unit at Mooloolaba for a week and is going to swim every day despite it being winter

Mountain Bike park in Samford - excellent. Can you post the URL? My dream is to buy some land at Samford (if I can afford it or the bank will give us the money) and live out there with some space around me - after London for five years I've earnt it! That would be fantastic if that's on the doorstep. Soon as my house sells, I'm off.

Do you do any road riding? I've been in touch with the people at Bicycle Queensland (http://www.bq.org.au/) and they do organised tours most weekends as well as longer tours (Brisbane to Bundaberg). I hope to do both when I get home.

Will definitely keep in touch. Is your other half into cycling?

Vic

Victoria,

first the easy bit - yes my partner got me into cycling. Convinced me that it's worth spending money on a decent mtb bike and taught me how to ride it properly. I use my mtb to commute to work so I'm into road riding in a sense!

As regards the mtb park the url is http://www.mountainbikepark.com/.

Now the more exciting bit for me. We were planning to front end load his visa app, but haven't seen anything about getting it done instantly. Tell me more!!! (having visions of being home for Christmas). I guess the big question is (if you don't mind me asking) how much money you guys had behind you. We're ok on all the other bits health/police checks/statements from friends, and have been married for 3 years, but didn't know how much cash they want you to have, we were looking at around £8000-10000 at the time we were planning to go - how does this compare?

The other question is the process - so to make sure I've got this right, you completed the whole visa application and all the associated bits, then took it all straight to the High Commission in the Strand and they processed it on the spot?

Thanks,
    Zen
    Last edited by zen_grrl; 07-18-2003 at 12:20 PM.

hi girls. im in brisbane. unsure abt how exciting daisy hill is... we didnt take our bikes but scoped it on foot if we are talking abt the same section of daisy hill forest park its all gravel paths, not much shade and not toooo many interesting tracks.
    we ride close to home at toohey forest because we are beginners

Where else do people recommend?

My other half and I are back in Brisbane now. This weekend we're going to try the bike path out to Nudgee Beach (we live near the track at Kalinga Park).

We're doing that on our road bikes, but I'm picking up my new MTB on Friday (Christmas pressie to myself) and will be heading out to try that one out.

Where is good in/around Brissie for a newcomer to MTB??

u may find something of interest in this list :

http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules.ph...ticles&secid=1

[QUOTE=aussievic]Hi Zen

My husband just went to the Australian consulate on Monday and got his visa! We did the front-end loading thing (where you take it all in at once) and had everything there and they did it straight away - it was easier I think because we've been married but you should look into it and see if you can front-end load it as the woman just looked at it, asked my husband a couple of questions and did the visa then and there.

Don't you miss the beach? I can't wait - just packing the car up on a Saturday morning and heading up the coast. I was talking to a friend of mine on the weekend and she's going back next week. She's hiring a unit at Mooloolaba for a week and is going to swim every day despite it being winter

Mountain Bike park in Samford - excellent. Can you post the URL? My dream is to buy some land at Samford (if I can afford it or the bank will give us the money) and live out there with some space around me - after London for five years I've earnt it! That would be fantastic if that's on the doorstep. Soon as my house sells, I'm off.

Do you do any road riding? I've been in touch with the people at Bicycle Queensland (http://www.bq.org.au/) and they do organised tours most weekends as well as longer tours (Brisbane to Bundaberg). I hope to do both when I get home.

Will definitely keep in touch. Is your other half into cycling?

Vic[/QUOTE
    Hi there aussievic... i just searched on google concerning Brisbane --> Bundaberg cycling info.... but, as of yet, still not informed on the topic!
    I was wondering if u knew anything about the journey....?? Bike tracks?

Sincerely Sage

Hi Girls! I'm a Brisbanite too...... But if you're up for totally off road why not jump on the trails over at Stradbroke Island. ( http://www.transinfo.com.au from Brisbane Central jump on a cleveland train, Jump of at Cleveland and take the free shuttle to the ferry http://www.stradbrokeholidays.com.au..._transport.php )

I've only just gotten into cycling myself and my partner and I are thinking of heading on over there in a few weeks to give it a shot... (I may be sticking to the paths and desolate roads for a bit longer yet ^_^) Of course that may be because I live like 5mins from the ferry terminal but what the hey!
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log