Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sugar?

To disable ads, please log-in.

There can't be that much, because that's lactobacillus food. Fage total 2% yogurt (plain): 9g sugars, 23g protein, 4.5g fat, 15mg cholesterol per 1 cup serving.

*Fage because that's what was in my fridge.

For the record, I don't like plain yogurt either, except as a sour cream substitute or as a base for certain curry sauces. I'll add a generous swirl of honey (what constitutes "generous" depends how close to the expiration date the yogurt is), granola and/or fruit. Strawberries or pomegranate seeds are the best! (A cubed peach with a sprinkling of cinnamon is nice too.)
    Last edited by Owlie; 10-03-2012 at 04:31 PM.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I just despise skim milk. My grandfather used to call it Blue Death because it just tastes so bad and has a blue tint to it. I prefer 2% or whole milk, and half-and-half in my coffee or tea. No ice cream, though.
    I find the skim milk different in taste in the States where I've travelled, compared to skim milk in B.C., Ontario or Alberta. I do find 2%-3% fat milk..richer in taste because it's been decades since I've drank it.

And I attribute to what the cows are fed, the soil in which the grass is grown. Taste of milk varies across Europe, etc.

I used to be lactose intolerant..simply because there was a time in my life I literally forgot to drink milk regularily.

I prefer gelato vs. ice cream of which neither I've had much in last 2 yrs.: I live in a city that doesn't offer enough quality handmade gelato or ice cream. Vancouver has more choice. Not Calgary: we're still stuck in beef mentality...ranch country of Canada.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    There can't be that much, because that's lactobacillus food. Fage total 2% yogurt (plain): 9g sugars, 23g protein, 4.5g fat, 15mg cholesterol per 1 cup serving.

*Fage because that's what was in my fridge.

For the record, I don't like plain yogurt either, except as a sour cream substitute or as a base for certain curry sauces. I'll add a generous swirl of honey (what constitutes "generous" depends how close to the expiration date the yogurt is), granola and/or fruit. Strawberries or pomegranate seeds are the best! (A cubed peach with a sprinkling of cinnamon is nice too.)
    I like the idea of cinnamon, I may have to try that with peaches over yogurt. Cinnamon has some good health benefits, right? I think it helps with blood pressure?

I read somewhere that less than 4g of sugar in a serving is ok. More than that triggers an insulin spike.

However, I know that what you eat with the sugar affects its absorption. Fat slows the absorption so you might be able to get away with a little more than 4 g sugar in something fatty.

15 g sugar in a serving of yogurt is a lot.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    But 12 g sugar in an 8 oz serving of Dannon plain yogurt. You said it to begin with - the sugar is bacteria food, so the amount of sugar in any brand of yogurt depends on how much the manufacturer lets it ferment.

I guess here's the part I don't understand ... if someone doesn't like unsweetened yogurt, then don't eat it! There are plenty of other ways to expose your system to good microorganisms - raw sauerkraut, kombucha, miso, raw soy sauce (nama shoyu is SO delicious it's worth the price and you'll probably never buy any other kind again), cultured butter, etc., etc., etc......
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-04-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I guess here's the part I don't understand ... if someone doesn't like unsweetened yogurt, then don't eat it! There are plenty of other ways to expose your system to good microorganisms - raw sauerkraut, kombucha, miso, raw soy sauce (nama shoyu is SO delicious it's worth the price and you'll probably never buy any other kind again), cultured butter, etc., etc., etc......
    Oh, no thanks on the sauerkraut, kombucha, miso... I've also found that I really prefer to avoid soy as I'm approaching the age where my hormones start to get minds of their own. I've tried to gulp down kombucha and just could not control my gag reflexes.

I like plain yogurt (with fat) with just a bit of thawed frozen berries, or even better, in a homemade smoothie with a banana. It's so easy even for non-cooks.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I guess here's the part I don't understand ... if someone doesn't like unsweetened yogurt, then don't eat it!.
    I totally agree. I used to try to eat cottage cheese about a million different ways from Sunday because I hated it and figured I'd find a method that I could tolerate...and then I just realized I was being stupid. If I don't like it, I'm not eating it. Life is way to short to eat yucky food! (I don't eat yogurt anymore either....)
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom