Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Dollar bill tire boot after use

To disable ads, please log-in.

The picture shows a dollar bill that was inside my tire for a few months under a gash. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dollar_bill.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	15412

Found it when I had a flat on that tire yesterday, having forgotten it was there. It was folded in thirds inside the tire. Yesterday's flat was caused by a piece of glass, unrelated to the old gash and boot. Was rather surprised at all the rips in the dollar bill. The rips were perpendicular to the direction of tire rotation. I'd guess they happened when I hit bumps with that spot on the tire and the dollar couldn't flex as much as the tire. Maybe dollar bills aren't the best long-term boot. I did put a dollar in a tire on my road bike a couple weeks ago under a 1/4 inch cut, and it removed the slight bulge on the tire so I could ride a 27 mile race without worrying.

Has anybody else inspected old tire boots? What materials have you used? Which ones have held up the best?
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

I once used a dollar to boot a tire, but I replaced the tire before I rode the bike again. The dollar stuck to the tube and ripped when I tried to remove it.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I never had to use it, but a friend once gave us each a boot made from a cut up old bike tire. Seemed like it would hold up really well as it was much heavier duty than a dollar bill.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Dollar bills are our go to boots for road side repairs, generally. We did just get Park Tools adhesive tire patches, I just replaced a dollar bill with one the other day. We've also used pieces of an old Tuffy tire liner. I've honestly never looked at them after removal.

When we had our tandem, we had a blow out and tried to use a dollar bill for a boot. We had a very nice hole in the dollar bill when the tube blew through it after we pumped up the tire. Took about 5 minutes (no, the pressure wasn't that high, and the gash wasn't that big).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I used a dollar bill after I had 4 flats on a century 6 years ago. However, I would never keep it in there! It's for emergencies, only. I put a new tire on as soon as I got home.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Might not be quite the same, but could this help explain the rips in your dollar bill?

"Flexing of rolling bias ply tires also loosens patches. Laying a standard 3.5x2 inch paper business card between tire and tube will show how severe this action is. After a hundred miles or so, the card will have been shredded into millimeter size confetti."

I read this in Jobst Brandt's FAQ on patching.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/patching.html

'09 Trek 7.3 FX hybrid / Jett 155mm
    '09 Cervelo P3 TT / looking
    '11 Cervelo S3 road / Selle Royal Seta 155mm
    Ischial tuberosities: 140mm center to center

I have also used an empty gu packet which is lovely since it sort of sticks in place but then I usually replace the tire at the next opportunity. I keep a couple of pieces of old tube in my seat pack which is also quick and easy and is another use for recycling.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I cut up old cycling water bottles, the ones that are really cheap, for tire boots. I put a 2" square in my camelback and another in the road seat bag for emergencies. It should keep the tube from bulging through the tire until I can get it home.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL