Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Golden Gate Bridge riders

To disable ads, please log-in.

anyone get buffeted by winds so hard to cause you to crash?

I've not ridden the Golden Gate, but I crossed a bridge around here in a wind storm with 35mph gusts It was hairy and nerve wracking, but I did not crash.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    hairy and nerve wracking, but I did not crash.
    It's scary when the wind gushes suddenly, unstabilizing me. I ride the GG quite a bit. It's always the least pleasurable part of my ride to cross over to Marin. I went down last night.

My husband has... he was drafting on a wheel in his group. The guy in the lead turned around the pillar and nearly stopped due to the wind punching him in the chest. This caused a chain reaction down the paceline.

-- gnat!
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    My husband has... he was drafting on a wheel in his group. The guy in the lead turned around the pillar and nearly stopped due to the wind punching him in the chest. This caused a chain reaction down the paceline.

-- gnat!
    The two pillars are the worst sections of riding the GG. The wind can be wrathful. I have to slow down to a crawl, unclip one pedal just in case there is anyone rounding the corner whom I can't see. I find myself increasingly dreading riding the GG - and I've been riding it for the last 2 years, even when they shut down the cycling side and we had to share with the tourists peds - that was terrible.

No way I can get the Zipp 303s; I'd get blown over by the crosswinds.

I have ridden the gg once...I ended up essentially stopping and walking around the pillars mainly because there were tourists stopped and kids running around and it was impossible to see if anyone was on the other side. Am hoping to do it again soon. The rest of my previous Marin ride was heavenly.