Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

When to replace shoes?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know running shoes break down and should be replaced every XX amount of miles. I'm an occasional runner (mainly in the fall) and use my shoes for walking more than running. I've had my shoes a couple of years and they don't look or feel worn out. Is there a good way to gauge when they should be replaced? I just want to be sure that when I do decide to run, that my feet have enough support.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

What kind of shoes are they? I guess I'd be surprised if they're not minimalist shoes, if the soles don't show at least some compression after two years. My shoes usually have visible compression in the impact area (midfoot) after 150 miles or so. But if they're not even visibly compressed, you should have a long way to go with them. I replace mine when they start to feel sloppy. Usually between 400-600 miles. Although you shouldn't be relying on your shoes to support your feet, you'll know when they're not cushioning the way they used to. Depending on how heavily you run and how evenly the soles are compressed (I would think walking would mash them a bit more evenly than running), some people wear insoles out quicker than outsoles, so you might be able to extend the life of your shoes by replacing the insoles only.

I do track mileage but I just go by feel when to replace a shoe, but I guess when I replace my shoes, the outsoles are compressed by probably about a third or more from new. Maybe even up to 40% or so in impact areas, but definitely I wouldn't let them go past half.

Does that help?
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 09-30-2012 at 03:34 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I replace my running shoes about every 5 months (more often if I'm doing heavier training). That usually puts me around 300-500 miles. Then they get downgraded into walking/around town shoes and I wear them for another 9 months to a year before downgrading them again into yard shoes.
    There is a definite life cycle for shoes in my house.
    I can usually tell when my running shoes need to be replaced because my knees/hips will start nagging at me a little more.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Back when I was using conventional running shoes, I'd end up retiring them from running somewhere around 500 miles. But really, it was a few cues in my body that would let me know it was time. If my many-time sprained ankle was aching when I woke up in the morning, I probably needed new shoes.

(Now that I run in VFF's, ankles almost never hurt. My first pair have 1300+ miles on them, newer pair 700+, and I still run in both every day...)

The shoes are Brooks with Super Feet insoles. I'll check the soles for compression. It's hard to gage any changes in the way they feel when I run because I don't run regularly. I just started up again and had some knee/IT band tenderness after my runs, so I started to wonder about my shoes.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bluebug32 View Post
    had some knee/IT band tenderness after my runs, so I started to wonder about my shoes.
    That's where I start to feel it- knees and IT band. If you're just taking up running again, I would buy a new pair and JUST use it for running and keep the other pair for around town. That's just my opinion on the matter.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

I'm in a fairly light shoe - I'm not as picky on replacing them for shorter distances because I don't really feel it as much, but the bottoms of my feet were sore after the marathon Sunday and I wish I'd gotten new shoes beforehand. I usually keep track just by looking at the tread (on the Kinvaras, that seems to go pretty quick) and if they're worn down on the soles I'll start thinking about a new pair. I might buy 2-3 pairs of road shoes a year...trail shoes can last a bitlonger, since they don't wear down as regularly.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I agree with Tri Girl, buy a new pair of shoes exclusively for running. As soon as you get a new pair you will realize how worn your old shoes really are.

Thanks, everyone. Do you guys always go to running stores to buy shoes? I think I'll go take a look at a new pair. I also have a pair of Five Fingers that I wear for shorter walks and to do strength/core training. I would like to try some light running in these, but should probably work up to it after I get some new running shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebug32 View Post
    Thanks, everyone. Do you guys always go to running stores to buy shoes?
    Always. And every few years I get a fit analysis done just to make sure that my stride and or my feet haven't changed. I did that a few years ago and I went from a motion control shoe to just a stability shoe. Bodies change and sometimes so do the shoes we wear.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)