Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bike Friendly Lake Tahoe

To disable ads, please log-in.

We just returned from Lake Tahoe for our very first visit there. Unreal! We hiked 50 miles on some of the most beautiful trails we have ever hiked! If anyone wants any specifics on any of the trails just email me.

I have never seen bike paths with a yellow line down the middle, and they were almost completely around the lake. And if paths were missing, construction was being done to make them.

Get this. We saw a LWB bent and a Screamer tandem biking up the road towards Emerald Lake. For those of you that are familiar with that area you know that is extremely steep and that there are no guardrails. I of course waved at them and gave them the thumbs up but know that this is not an area that I would bike!

We are thinking about driving out to Lake Tahoe next time so that we can bring our bikes. It is an awesome area absolutely beautiful and I think you all will really enjoy it.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

It really is! I did the Tour de Tahoe as part of the JDRF Ride to Cure event and we were all astounded by how well-behaved motorists are...on a main road with 1800 bikes to travel around.

You know, the switchbacks up and over near Emerald Bay didn't kill me nearly as much as I had expected. I figured I'd have to walk a bit, but I didn't. I didn't look around me at all, though. I know it's beautiful going up those, but I am deathly afraid of heights. I think that's where the adrenaline that carried me up so well originated. I just wanted to be safely away from the scary edges!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Glad you had a good trip!! And you should definitely bring bikes! I know there are placed that rent, at least in N Lake where we stay, but they don't rent 'bents...

It's only 3 1/2 hours away from us, so we go up just about every other month. I love biking and hiking out there. Last time we were there I rode around the lake for probably the 15th time in my life and got some great hikes in. There are also some amazing trails for MTB.

In July my daughter and I got stuck (in a car) behind an 18 wheeler truck that decided it could go up Emerald Bay. So lame!!! I really felt bad for the driver but can't imagine he didn't know what he was getting in to.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

There are so many places to road and mtn bike around the Lake! Going around Lake Tahoe is a great ride, and not easy. There's the hill going up to Emerald Bay from Camp Richarson (the switchbacks), and another from Emerald Bay toward Sugarpine Point. Then there's the one up to Dollar Hill in Tahoe City. And finally there's the endless hill up to Spooner Summit.

If you like big hills, try the road from Incline Village up to the top of Mount Rose. It's not steep, but it is endless. On the lake side there's a very nice bike lane. From the top down to Washoe Valley there's no bike lane, so that's a bit nervy.

You can also ride from Donner Lake up and over Donner Summit. That's the way the Donner Lake Tri goes.

Another classic ride is the triangle from Kings Beach on rte 28 to Tahoe City. Then you go up 89 to Truckee. You take West River Dr. in Truckee to rte 267, and then go past Northstar Resort, over Brockway Summit, back to Kings Beach. It's about 36 miles with one BIG hill.

This past summer, Caltrans finally repaved rte 89 from Tahoe City to Truckee, including the breakdown/bike lane. So that's finally rideable for the first time in years.

If anyone wants details on any more rides, or places to rent bikes, PM me. This is where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by roadie gal View Post
    This past summer, Caltrans finally repaved rte 89 from Tahoe City to Truckee, including the breakdown/bike lane. So that's finally rideable for the first time in years.
    I am really happy about this! I rode on it when the paving was underway this fall.

I am in the process of finishing up the route for a 200k RUSA permanent in Tahoe/Donner. It won't be rideable for a while of course (though I did see some impressive bikes with studded tires at the Nordic center this week.). For now, we snowshoe!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes