Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UA Frosty Compression Tights or ?

To disable ads, please log-in.

This will be my first winter running and I plan on running through the winter months. So I'm looking for some colder temp tights and found the UA Frosty Compression Tights. The temps will be into the 30's(F). Can anyone give a review on these? Thank you
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

They are not particularly compressive (they are tights, but not TIGHT tights), but they are probably my favorite Winter tight for temps in the 30s and 40s--especially for the price. They are super stretchy and run long. I don't have long legs at all, but I have always thought it's nice that they are long, since most insulated tights strike me as something that wouldn't work for anyone with long legs. They wick well and are warm. Only thing they could use would be ankle zippers and a pocket of some sort.

MTA: that they are fabulous on the bike over regular bike shorts.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Don't buy tights without ankle zips. They are a pain to take off/on.
    I love my Sugoi Mid Zero and SubZero tights. I use them running with Ibex wool undershorts/wool Teko socks and cycling with my cycling shorts and wool socks.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Don't buy tights without ankle zips. They are a pain to take off/on.
    I love my Sugoi Mid Zero and SubZero tights. I use them running with Ibex wool undershorts/wool Teko socks and cycling with my cycling shorts and wool socks.
    Yep, my SubZeros are my go-to tights when it's too cold for the Frostys. I'm still commando under all tights, though. The first year I ran I'd still wear undies and it didn't matter which ones I wore--even the $$ sport-specific ones--I'd end up with bloody welts on my butt after about 5 miles. Seams and I don't get along.

I will say that the ankles on the Frostys are stretchy enough where they work without zippers. EVERY other tight without zippers is a no-go for me.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I go commando with the running tights in the 40s, but after that my azz gets cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I go commando with the running tights in the 40s, but after that my azz gets cold.
    Mine does, too. Sometimes I will wear a pair of compression shorts or a running skirt over. That usually helps a lot.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I wear the Ibex briefs under my all-purpose tights - mostly so I can wear the tights more than once between washing. No clammy, no chafe, no ride up. I don't think I'd wear underwear under compression tights. I really like all my CW-X legwear, including the Insulator tights which are good down to 35° or so, but they aren't cheap, and I save them for my longest runs and races.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thank you for the feedback. Is there a difference between running and cycling tights without chamois? Would I be better off with cycling tights than running tights?
    2006 Trek 7100

There's no difference in my mind. Of course, I'm only a seasonal runner (winter, spring) and I have no issues running/hiking in my tights originally bought for cycling. I hate cycling tights with chamois, so it's great to have more than one use. I also wear them x country skiing, if it's really warm, like in the thirties (that's warm for nordic skiing). I've even run in my wool Ibex tights when it's been in the twenties.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

UA Frosty Compression Tights or ?

I second or third Sugoi Midzero/Subzero for those temps. I have only used UA Heatgear so can't compare Coldgear to Sugoi, but I have a lot of Sugoi pieces and would say that in general it is higher quality than UA. I would also be commando in tights in those temps. When it is much colder (sub 20) I usually wear running pants (tapered but looser than tights - Hind pretty much owns this market) with long underwear (commando under that though).

I just ordered some sugoi mid zero tights from amazon $35 with free shipping. Thanks for the recommendations. I still might get some of the UA tights. One last question do you usually wear shorts over the tights?
    2006 Trek 7100

Why would you do that?
    It doesn't serve any purpose.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    I just ordered some sugoi mid zero tights from amazon $35 with free shipping. Thanks for the recommendations. I still might get some of the UA tights. One last question do you usually wear shorts over the tights?
    If it's cold I will - compression shorts or a running skirt. Keeps the bum warm (but I don't wear underwear under them, either).

I will occasionally wear shorts over my thinner running tights, as I think they're more see-through than I'd like to believe if I bend over to tie my shoe. No one in my running group would be brave enough to tell me if they were.

But generally, not really.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I was thinking shorts under for the extra warmth and since I need to lose about 30# - to help cover up the fat.
    2006 Trek 7100

If you feel you have to be "covered," look into a wrap/stretch type skirt (like the ones Terry sells) that you can wear over anything. Athleta sells running tights and knickers with attached skirts (a skort with tights), but they are expensive. I really don't need any warmth underneath until it goes down to 32. I already have Ibex wool boxers for nordic skiing, so I use those.
    Really, no one is looking at your body when you run by. And, if they are, who cares? Any runner I see, especially in the winter, I think, "good for him/her."
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura