Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well I just re-read your post and see that the gusset is the same on both pairs. Sorry to be a dork with that question.

On the Zoots - does the pocket function if you DON'T roll down the waistband? (Rolled waist bands never stay put for me)

Quote Originally Posted by hulagirl View Post

On the Zoots - does the pocket function if you DON'T roll down the waistband? (Rolled waist bands never stay put for me)
    Yes. The waistband doesn't actually roll, but the pocket opening is sort of underneath the waistband in the back. Like the old plastic sandwich bags, pre-ziploc, if you're old enough to remember those.

Might be a few days before I get them washed, I'd just done a load of workout gear before they came. Will post as soon as I've had a chance to run in them!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Okay, I did 8.5 in the Zoots today, pretty hot day for as much as I'm acclimated this early in the year - 86°F, 67% humidity.

They didn't ride up, didn't bunch up in the crotch or give me any discomfort there. I would say the rise is a little bit higher than I'd like, but they come just below my natural waist where my belt rides that I carry my phone etc. in, so as long as they aren't above that line I'm okay with it.

They breathe reasonably well. They didn't get sloshy-sweaty the way some shorts can get (yuk). I didn't notice them being super hot in the sun.

As far as the thigh compression ... I'm skeptical about the benefits of compression for shorter runs, but I will say that I noticed the muscle support on steeper hills. I'm not sure that's a good thing, really, since it kind of encouraged me to keep on overusing my quads. I'm pretty sure the tighter band is what kept the shorts from riding up, but when I really want compression for the benefits of compression, I'll stick with my CW-X shorts that have support for the lower abs and glutes too.

I didn't use the pocket, very rarely do, so I can't comment on that.

Overall - I like them. They'll go at or near the top of the stack, at least when I'm planning to run under three hours.

As far as the PI shorts with their Coldblack fabric, I haven't worn them yet, but I figured an objective temperature test is the best. While they were on the clothesline this morning in full sun I stuck a probe thermometer inside the shorts, up against the fabric, on these and several other pairs of shorts. Short answer - don't spend extra for Coldblack fabric. The overstock price at DepartmentofGoods.com isn't too far out of line for "regular" shorts, so if they work well otherwise I won't be disappointed, but both these pairs were within a couple of degrees, and the main difference seemed to be between shiny black shorts (hotter in the sun) and looser matte finish knits (5-10° cooler in the sun, though possibly not as good for wicking sweat).

Both pairs dried super fast. In fact, I was planning on running in a different pair of shorts this morning, but when these two were already dry by the time I got my act together, I figured I'd try the Zoot shorts, and leave the PI's on the line so I could do a temperature test after my other shorts dried.

So, 9.5 in the PIs today.

No riding up, no bunching, no complaints on fit or comfort. The gusset, if that's even what you'd call it, works fine. The rise is just slightly lower than the Zoots, but still on the high side as shorts go - right at my navel, slightly below the narrowest part of my waist. The waistband is on the firm side, so if that bothers you, it might be an issue. Not as unyielding as CW-X, by any means.

The silicone hem weld didn't want to stay turned up all the way around, once they'd been washed and especially when I put them on. The fold was just ironed in, NOT woven in. The front part stayed turned okay, but the back wanted to roll back down. It didn't give me a rash, but since I started out with them turned up, I didn't run that long and it's a relatively cool day, I can't say the gripper/hem weld wouldn't bother me. But if silicone grippers don't irritate your skin, I wouldn't worry about it.

There's no compression. I definitely couldn't wear a smaller size - these are already a size smaller than PI's size chart says I should wear, they're completely form fitting with no slack fabric anywhere, and the waistband of a smaller size wouldn't go over my hips. They're obviously form fitting enough that they didn't ride up even with the silicone grippers turned up. But they're probably one of the least compressive pairs of short tights I own.

I noticed that the website describes these shorts as having an internal brief. There isn't any, not that I'd want one in short tights anyway.

Temperature regulation - it was a cooler, cloudy day, but VERY humid - rain came through overnight - and although I'd already found out on the clothesline that these shorts do not defy the laws of physics in terms of their black color converting infrared light into heat, they do wick sweat and allow it to evaporate VERY efficiently. I wouldn't hesitate to wear these on a very hot day.

I realized that in my original description I got the pockets backwards. The PIs have the pocket in the small of the back (which again, I don't use pockets, but I did test the accessibility today and it was plenty easy to get into while I was running) - the Zoots have the pockets on the sides of the legs.

Bottom line, I like them well enough, but I'm not sure they're worth $70, and definitely not the $100 MSRP. Still, if it's in your budget and you haven't found anything else you like, I don't think they're *so* overpriced that they're not worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by hulagirl View Post
    thanks OakLeaf! I'm very interested in a full review!

I have a question on the gusset on the PI shorts - is there one? And I'm curious on how each one stacks up in hot and humid running weather? Let me know what you think!

In about a month I'm going to start ramping up my running for my Ironman training. So I'll be ready to get into a good pair of running shorts - plus looking for a pair for the race that will keep me sane and not piss me off! Thanks for posting!

Denise
    I have the Zoot Ultra shorts which appear to have a very similar leg hem. I have worn them for 2 Ironmans now. They roll/fold a little on the bike, but stay put pretty well on the run, interestingly. I don't have any interior girl zone chafing from them (though I bodyglide excessively) from either the bike or run, and thigh chafing is pretty minimal though I bodyglide there too. I feel like they are better in the heat than my 2xus, but those are discount shorts that I just bought for getting me to work. I don't wear the Zoots very much for daily training, though, they were too spendy to wear every day.

I have some Zoots with the side of leg pockets which I am kind of 'meh' on. They work well for gels in packets, but not as well for other stuff. I definitely can't put a flask in them. I have some Brooks shorts with the small-of-back pocket that works pretty well, though in those shorts the seams got eaten surprisingly quickly from rubbing.

Thanks for the reviews, Oak. Very helpful.

Bump.

Perfect shorts, or as near as likely, found. Cheap, too.

Side zipper pocket for them as require a pocket. (I don't, so haven't tested it, but it's there.)

Supportive but not compressive fabric.

Not overly hot on hot days, not so light as to make me choose something else when it's cooler.

No gripper, no sausage leg, no ride up.

Rise on the high-ish side, but not too high for my nonexistent waist ("waist" high mom jeans fit around my lower ribs).

Completely functional gusset.

Drawstring for them as like one, decent waistband elastic plus drawstring not in the way for them as don't use it.

Runs true to size.

Comes in three lengths (the 6" in the link are the ones I have, and I'm not interested in either longer or shorter).

I'm doing most of my longer runs in these now. Wish I hadn't turned up my nose at RRS brand (or generally at buying clothes online, untried), before.

ETA - going through their website it looks like they're on sale because they've been discontinued. The replacement model looks similar but not identical, most particularly with the wider waistband, so I can't vouch for them. Sigh. One can hope.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-14-2015 at 05:51 PM.

I just checked out the pair you linked to and the newer version. Saw the wider waistband. I can tell you, that PI has a line of cycling shorts with the wide waistband like that and I LOVE them. So it could well be pretty comfy. If I spring for a pair of the running shorts I will post my thoughts.

For some reason, I get emails from RRS, including me in their VIP customer program. I may have ordered once from them, but for the life of me, I am trying to figure out how I got on this list. The only thing I can think of, is that DS may have ordered a bunch of crap with my credit card when he was in HS and used my email address (over 10 years ago). Maybe I will look closer at their stuff, which I might wear while walking or hiking.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

They do spam heavy. But thank goodness, I haven't got a print catalog from them in ages, maybe they've quit doing that.

Another vote for Athleta, I love them. We have a local store and I had to forget where they were located as my bank account has a fit when I walk into the door!

I bought THESE last year - mine are a very different color scheme but that is the only difference here. Nice mesh pockets, nice fit, no riding up, some compression. I bought them for trail running but they have become one of my favorite all-round knickers for any weather. They were fine for trail running last summer.

I am also a huge Athleta fan, especailly for their running/hiking/yoga bottoms. I can't wear tradtional jogging shorts (never, not even when I weighed 95), as they just don't flatter me. I bought a pair of Athleta running shorts that have the lycra short under the jogging shorts (attached) and i love them. I also have quite a few of their exercise tanks and dresses!
    However, I do't do so well when I go to the store. It feels overwhelming and they don't have petite sizes there. That was my original purpose for buying from them. I wish they had petite sized tops/sweaters. I've bought a few of their casual/city type tops and even the xx smalls are too big in the arms. I can wear the tanks, though.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I got a bunch of Athleta stuff for Christmas last year, wound up exchanging most of it, but I do like the fit of their tights for yoga. As far as running shorts though, it looks like they make short tights in 5" length only, and that's too short for me - if it's shorter than 6" it's going to ride up.

When selecting any fitness gear, you should think about both performance and short and long term wellness. You can’t go wrong with an Athleta Agile short that is ultra flexible, seamless is such a way that it maps your body texture. The women’s workout innerwear is also moisture wicking and its odor controlling tech ensures that it doesn’t stink. The only disadvantage is that it seems to ride up in high intensity workout.
    I also love boyshorts such as New Balance which keep off sweat and stains on the hottest day due to its polyester and spandex combo. Epic weaving is also coupled with an enlarged knit based waistband to ensure that it feels free as you sprint. You don’t have to worry about where you left your keys or credit cards as this short features zip pockets where you can slip your keys and cards as your run.

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I got a bunch of Athleta stuff for Christmas last year, wound up exchanging most of it, but I do like the fit of their tights for yoga. As far as running shorts though, it looks like they make short tights in 5" length only, and that's too short for me - if it's shorter than 6" it's going to ride up.
    I don’t run so can’t speak to that. But these have become my faves for walks. The fabric feels luxuriously soft, they’re warm enough for our Northwestern weather but not over warm. Best of all there are pockets pockets pockets! Not a lot of them but room for my iPhone SE (small smart phone) and keys.

And most important, they make my butt look great. And that’s what’s most important, that I look good.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/womens...s-active-pants

There’s a leggings version, regular pants and capris. The capris would probably be great for running. I can’t wear capris ... ever. At 5’0” they look like weird floods on me. So if I want capris, board shorts will sometimes do the trick.

That’s life in the short lane.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/