Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Half Marathon

Half Marathon

To disable ads, please log-in.

My goal this year was to run a half marathon this fall. Been training for it over the summer but, man is it hard to find time to do that, along with cycling, golfing, etc. Oh, yeah, and work!

Anyway, this past Sunday was the event - successfully ran it with a time that was actually a PB (out of the three I've done). Not winning any speed contests, but still very happy with it. And, one day later, I'm thinking about when the next one will be (next May) and what I have to do to improve my time (more commitment to training, better fueling and hydration). So addictive!

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

Outstanding! What half marathon did you run? I think that it's a really good distance. I signed up for a marathon in October, but now I'm just trying to get through the training because it takes up so much time. Half marathon mo' betta'

Woohoo!! I love halfs now. Halves? Only better distance is a 10-miler...because no matter how well trained I am, I run the first 10 of a half too fast They certainly are addictive.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Woot! Nice job. It is a fun distance.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieggo View Post
    Outstanding! What half marathon did you run? I think that it's a really good distance. I signed up for a marathon in October, but now I'm just trying to get through the training because it takes up so much time. Half marathon mo' betta'
    Charlieggo, I live in Northern Ontario, this one is in my hometown, so no travelling.....www.thunderbaymarathon.com.

I admire your commitment to training for a full marathon - that's beyond anything I could do!

Serendipity

Agree with jessmarimba and OakLeaf that it is a fun distance, although I wouldn't have said that at about 18km! It's much more fun after the fact!

Definitely have to work on stamina and fuelling.

Serendipity

That's great! I'm doing my first half at the end of next month but I miss biking! haha it has definitely taken a back seat as of late to the running miles. Just hard to fit cross training, biking, bricking, running, life into a schedule! I'm hoping all of the HOOOOOOOT summer runs will be worth it in the coolness of the Napa air where the race is going to be held
    Get busy living or get busy dying..

2010 Cervelo P2-Cobb Flow Max Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Charlieggo, I live in Northern Ontario, this one is in my hometown, so no travelling.....www.thunderbaymarathon.com.

I admire your commitment to training for a full marathon - that's beyond anything I could do!
    Thunder Bay looks like a great run. As far as your comment that a marathon is beyond anything you can do - you've already done 3 halfs so you are a lot closer than you think. Betcha that marathon distance will be calling your name soon, at least once right?

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Excellent!! Congrats on a new PR and for having fun. I, too, love halfs. It's easy to throw together the mileage for it and still fit everything else in that I love to do.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Hi there
    I also would like to take part in a half marathon because I don't have the time to train for full. Yesterday I ran 21 km but with lots od ascending and I know that marathons don't have hills or at least not as big.
    Maybe now I should work on speed and do sprints because this is what I lack. I know running only once a week is not enough but my greatest love is mountain biking so I ride at least 5 times a week. Or maybe I should incorporate at least one more training during the week.
    What is more, I'm not sure what marathon I will run and when I just want to do it