Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedplay Frogs

Speedplay Frogs

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've ridden my Frogs for over 2k miles, and never a problem with them until recently. The bearings are fine, no problems getting in/out of them. All of a sudden however, I've had a couple of problems with unclipping with my non-power foot when climbing. The pedals were recently greased and examined.

I have noted when I am manually spinning the crank with my hand on a pedal that my hand gets greasy from the pedal. This did not happen before my LBS greased them...so I wonder if it is possible to "over-grease" and for some reason that is making it easier for me to unclip? It's only happened a couple of times, and I dealt with it, but wondering if others have had this little problem.

I really like these pedals...There is never any doubt when I clip in with my first foot, and I always "pull up" a bit with my second foot to make certain I am fully clipped in with the second.

Could it be that the issue is with the cleats and not the pedals themselves? Do the cleats eventually wear out or need to be serviced in some way?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Could it be that the issue is with the cleats and not the pedals themselves? Do the cleats eventually wear out or need to be serviced in some way?
    They do require a couple drops of lube every 500 miles or so, but I've not needed to do that recently. That is the only kind of servicing I am aware of that they require that I am aware of, but will look into it.

I was looking at some of the reviews of Frogs on MTBR and some people reported accidentally clipping of them as a gripe, but there was also some reference to cleats wearing out over time. So, I definitely would consider that as a possibility.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I was looking at some of the reviews of Frogs on MTBR and some people reported accidentally clipping of them as a gripe, but there was also some reference to cleats wearing out over time. So, I definitely would consider that as a possibility.
    Thanks, I was going to check out MTBR tonight - I spend enough time at work looking at TE It HAS been over 2k miles, and I've read the cleats are softer than some other types are. This would make sense, especially as I've not had a problem with this at all until recently.

I was unclipping accidentally my Frogs ALL of the time, until my DH told me to concentrate on keeping my heels turned in toward the bike. That worked. I also learned to listen for the little "click" that signals you're really clipped in. It's very subtle compared to the X Road pedals or even spds.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I've worn out one set of Frogg cleats, and they do start to unclip by themselves when they are worn out. Also note that there is an adjustment screw on each cleat and you might need to tighten it as the cleats wear.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I was unclipping accidentally my Frogs ALL of the time, until my DH told me to concentrate on keeping my heels turned in toward the bike. That worked. I also learned to listen for the little "click" that signals you're really clipped in. It's very subtle compared to the X Road pedals or even spds.
    I've been riding them for over a year and it never happened until a few weeks back, so something has changed...

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    I've worn out one set of Frogg cleats, and they do start to unclip by themselves when they are worn out. Also note that there is an adjustment screw on each cleat and you might need to tighten it as the cleats wear.
    Thank you for this information - and it makes sense. I will check for that adjustment screw!

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    Did the cleat LOOK like it was worn out? My cleats look brand new and there are no signs of wear. I only have this problem with one of them, even after we cleaned out a lot of dried mud from the cleat I went for a 7 mile ride last night - and the reason why it was that short was that my left foot unclipped something like 12 times in those 7 miles, all while climbing. I've not crashed because of this, but I can see the potential of that happening under the wrong circumstances.

My LBS is checking with Speedplay to see if they have any recommendations on this. Every time I clip back in I pull up on that pedal to make certain I've really clipped in. Something is wrong, I hope we can figure it out as I don't really want to spring for another set of pedals. Until a couple of weeks ago this never happened in the 2,000+ miles I've put on these pedals My knees really like the froggies so I hope this is easily solved.

I'd be surprised if they're worn out so soon ... those are metal cleats, right? I get typically 3,000 miles out of a plastic Look Keo on my right foot (the one I unclip and put down at stops) and 5-6,000 miles on the left.

And if your LBS is looking to the manufacturer I'm figuring they've looked at all the obvious solutions like readjusting tension for wear.

Hope you get it sorted soon.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I'd be surprised if they're worn out so soon ... those are metal cleats, right? I get typically 3,000 miles out of a plastic Look Keo on my right foot (the one I unclip and put down at stops) and 5-6,000 miles on the left.

And if your LBS is looking to the manufacturer I'm figuring they've looked at all the obvious solutions like readjusting tension for wear.

Hope you get it sorted soon.
    Yep, the first thing they did was to clean the cleats and make certain the adjustment screw on the cleat was right. There isn't any tension to adjust... I may just call Speedplay myself, they are pretty easy to reach and open to talking with end-users.

There's a ton of stuff on line about this, Catrin. It happens in different varieties, I guess. I read some very nasty comments!
    I would call Speedplay myself.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I don't know what a worn out Frog cleat looks like, Catrin. You might ask on MTBR. Granted, some of the reviews and forum comments on MTBR relate to different model years, but there are certainly numerous comments about the cleats wearing out prematurely. So, I still think that's the the possible source of your problems. One commenter said that when the cleats are done, they're done. There's nothing to adjust to prolong their life. It seems to me that after 2k road miles, Speedplay should replace the cleats for free.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Jonathan has checked everything out and he said that the cleats are in pristine condition, no signs of wear. I did call Speedplay this afternoon and they are sending me something to install between the cleats and shoes that should fix the problem. It is an "elastometer"? That probably isn't spelled right, but it is a warranty item and after he carefully questioned me regarding what is happening he was quite confident that this would fix the problem.

He did say that the lifespan of the cleats are from 2,000-5,000 miles depending upon riding conditions. He doesn't think this is the problem once I described my riding conditions - they never get wet/muddy/dusty, aren't used mountain biking, etc. He also said that if the small rear limit screw is overtightened then that prevents the crown from fully engaging and causes the same problem. If I trusted my hand strength I would install the "whatchimacallit" myself, but I don't so will have my LBS install it. I won't ride my Gunnar until this has happened, it just doesn't seem prudent. Hopefully this will fix the problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Did the cleat LOOK like it was worn out?

Yes, mine showed serious signs of wear on the front lip of the cleat. My right foot tended to rotate as I pedaled and I always pull up with my right foot, and there is up-down play in the cleat-pedal connection which probably added to the wear.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72